• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No Jesus? Now What?

If Jesus Was Found To Have Never Existed I'd

• Go on believing in him

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Switch to a Judaism

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Look elsewhere for spiritual support

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Drop religion altogether

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Muffled

Jesus in me

I came upon this question on a YouTube video and thought I'd pass it along..

"What if archeological evidence came to light showing that Jesus never existed. Moreover, the evidence is clear that no one even like Jesus ever existed. There was no prophesied Messiah.

Would you

1. Go on believing in him

2. Switch to a Judaism

3. Look elsewhere for spiritual support

4. Drop religion altogether

Why?

I believe I would continue to believe in Him and figure the archeology was flawed.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus is prophesied in the OT not as the Messiah, but instead as the modern day idol of Israel. He existed and he was crucified. His manner of death is called "the deaths of the uncircumcised". Ezekiel 28:10. He has been kicked out of Heaven and reincarnated. Isaiah 14:12. This time he will burst into flames and go to Hell. Ezekiel 28:18-19.

I believe you also must be seeing pink elephants, lol.

nPeace

Veteran Member

I came upon this question on a YouTube video and thought I'd pass it along..

"What if archeological evidence came to light showing that Jesus never existed. Moreover, the evidence is clear that no one even like Jesus ever existed. There was no prophesied Messiah.

Would you

1. Go on believing in him

2. Switch to a Judaism

3. Look elsewhere for spiritual support

4. Drop religion altogether

Why?

To add, I would smirk :smirk:, wait till they have a "tongue in cheek" moment :nomouth:, as has been the case not once, not twice, not three times, but many times, and then laugh my head off , at their willful pathetic denial.
(Honestly, I don't know if that's exactly what I would do, but I am always, most certainly, bemused at the willful ignorance of skeptics. I leave the hard laughing to Jehovah (Psalm 2:4) The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them.)

*** w00 5/15 pp. 11-12 pars. 11-12 Pay Attention to God’s Prophetic Word for Our Day ***
11 Suppose we consider what might be called the case of the missing monarch. Daniel chapter 5 shows that Belshazzar was ruling as king in Babylon when that city was overthrown in 539 B.C.E. Critics have challenged this point because Belshazzar’s name was found nowhere outside the Bible. Instead, ancient historians identified Nabonidus as the last Babylonian king.

12 In the year 1854, however, some small clay cylinders were unearthed in the ruins of the ancient Babylonian city of Ur in present-day Iraq. These cuneiform documents included a prayer in which King Nabonidus referred to “Bel-sar-ussur, my eldest son.” Even critics had to agree: This was the Belshazzar of the book of Daniel. So the missing monarch was not missing after all, just not yet known in secular sources. This is only one of many proofs

*** w96 10/15 p. 30 The “House of David”—Fact or Fiction? ***
The “House of David”—Fact or Fiction?
DAVID - the young shepherd lad who became a musician, a poet, a soldier, a prophet, and a king - stands out in the Bible in great prominence. His name is mentioned 1,138 times; the expression “House of David” - often referring to the dynasty of David - is used 25 times. (1 Samuel 20:16) Were King David and his dynasty only fiction? What does archaeology reveal? A recent remarkable discovery at an archaeological excavation site at Tel Dan in northern Galilee is reported to support the historicity of David and his dynasty.

*** w10 4/1 p. 15 Did You Know? ***
What evidence exists outside the Bible that Jesus was a real historical figure?
▪ A number of secular writers who lived close to the time of Jesus made specific mention of him. Among them was Cornelius Tacitus, who recorded the history of Rome under the emperors. Regarding a fire that devastated Rome in 64 C.E., Tacitus relates that it was rumored that Emperor Nero was responsible for the disaster. Nero, says Tacitus, tried to place the blame on a group whom the populace called Christians. Tacitus writes: “Christus, from whom their name is derived, was executed at the hands of the procurator Pontius Pilate in the reign of Tiberius.” - Annals, XV, 44.

The Jewish historian Flavius Josephus also mentions Jesus. In discussing events that took place between the death of Festus, the Roman governor of Judea about 62 C.E., and the arrival of his successor, Albinus, Josephus says that High Priest Ananus (Annas) “convened the judges of the Sanhedrin and brought before them a man named James, the brother of Jesus who was called the Christ, and certain others.” - Jewish Antiquities, XX, 200 (ix, 1).

*** w01 12/15 p. 5 The Real Jesus ***
After examining doubts about Jesus as portrayed in the Gospels, James R. Edwards, professor of religion at Jamestown College, North Dakota, U.S.A., wrote: “We may affirm with confidence that the Gospels preserve a diverse and significant body of evidence of the actual truth about Jesus. . . . The most reasonable answer to the question why the Gospels present Jesus as they do is because that is essentially who Jesus was. The Gospels faithfully preserve the memory that he left on his followers, that he was divinely legitimated and empowered to be God’s Son and Servant.”
Sadly, modern scholars, in their quest for the “real” or “historical” Jesus, seem to have hidden his true identity behind layers of baseless speculation, pointless doubts, and unfounded theorizing. In a sense, they are guilty of the mythmaking of which they falsely accuse the Gospel writers. Some are so eager to feed their own reputation and to link their name to a startling new theory that they fail to examine honestly the evidence about Jesus. In the process, they create a “Jesus” that amounts to a figment of scholarly imagination.

For those who want to find him, the real Jesus can be found in the Bible.

*** w92 10/1 p. 10 par. 5 “We Have Found the Messiah”! ***
...sources outside the Bible confirm the general acceptance of Jesus’ lineage.
For instance, the Talmud records a fourth-century rabbi as making a scurrilous attack on Mary, the mother of Jesus, for ‘playing the harlot with carpenters’; but the same passage concedes that “she was the descendant of princes and rulers.” An earlier example is the second-century historian Hegesippus. He related that when the Roman Caesar Domitian wanted to exterminate any descendants of David, some enemies of the early Christians denounced the grandsons of Jude, Jesus’ half brother, “as being of the family of David.” If Jude was a known descendant of David, was not Jesus as well? Undeniably! - Galatians 1:19; Jude 1.
:smirk:

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
So, a man who never existed, has had a major influence on hundreds of countries, and billions of people within 2,000 years?

I don't think so.

So has santa, the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, dragons, etc. It's amazing how those mythical creatures have influenced billions of people and a hundred+ countries(there are only 195 so I can't say hundreds).

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
And what is this cumulative case?

I am sure its nothing you have not heard before.

Fine tuned universe, just right for life of our kind.

The kalam cosmological argument, for the ultimate beginning of the cosmos. Its used with something called the BVG theorem. And used with the idea that something cannot come from nothing.

Information and code in DNA.

The existence of objective moral values.

The inexplicability of consciousness.

The apparent purposeful design in living organisms body plans.

And Richard Swineburns list.

Swinburne's cumulative probabilistic argument - Religions Wiki

Jos

I am sure its nothing you have not heard before.

Fine tuned universe, just right for life of our kind.

The kalam cosmological argument, for the ultimate beginning of the cosmos. Its used with something called the BVG theorem. And used with the idea that something cannot come from nothing.

Information and code in DNA.

The existence of objective moral values.

The inexplicability of consciousness.

The apparent purposeful design in living organisms body plans.

I disagree that all of those point explicitly to the existence of a God... some of those claims can have explanations that don't dependent on the existence of a God and I disagree on the truth of those claims but I respect your position.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I disagree that all of those point explicitly to the existence of a God... some of those claims can have explanations that don't dependent on the existence of a God and I disagree on the truth of those claims but I respect your position.

I am not Christian, and I don't have explicit evidence for God.

The cumulative case, while i do not agree with the whole of it, leaves the door open for me for the existence of a higher power/God.

I also go by experiences i have had, and by personal study.

I have no religious requirements to fulfill.

Thankyou!

Dill

Any purported archaeological evidence that Jesus never lived would have to be put up against the many archaeological and historical records that suggest otherwise. However, if it nonetheless proved veritable, it would cast so much doubt upon the entire fields of archaeology and history that I would likely choose to no longer rely upon history and archaeology in any fashion.

In the absence of any history and archaeology to refer to, I would simply fall back upon the initial cause of my conversion: the vivid, personal encounter I had with the Holy Spirit that confirmed to me the existence of Jesus. The loss of history and archaeology as meaningful fields would, of course, take a hit to my faith, which is reinforced and strengthened by the two fields. My faith, however, does not rely upon them, and in the absence of a defeater, it will stand.