• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No evidence of God" = Is a bad argument against God

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why feel sorry? I have a moral code given by God. Yes, most people have morals, but they vary a lot. And the fact that we have them at all means we aren't just animals.
My dogs kill to kill. So do many animals... Just the way it is, humans are generally different. Why?

And if god doesn't exist then what have you got?

I have a moral code that is human, no god involved and i guarantee it is every bit as moral, if not more so than any morality given by a fictional myth.

Have you seen the news?, people kill to kill too.

I have seen a cat save a bird from another cat. I have regularly seens cows create a cresh, the whole herd protecting one or two young.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Why feel sorry? I have a moral code given by God. Yes, most people have morals, but they vary a lot. And the fact that we have them at all means we aren't just animals.
My dogs kill to kill. So do many animals... Just the way it is, humans are generally different. Why?

Humans also kill to kill. What are you talking about?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Morality is a human thing, and also many other mamals. To steal it for yourself as religion has done is very immoral and goes against thou shalt not steal

Based on my experiences with Christians over the course of my 40+ years alive, I can say with complete confidence that the majority of Christians aren't more moral than non-Christians. And many times, Christians were much worse. I grew up in a Christian home, but I was abused (physically, psychologically, and sexually). I was adopted when I was 4 1/2, and the abuse didn't stop until I confronted my abusive brother and mother shortly after I turned 18. That's 13 1/2 years of horrific abuse that I suffered while I was growing up.

As a child, I attended church with my parents. I learned later in life that the pastor and many people in the congregation were aware of the abuse I suffered at home and the bullying I endured in school. And when I was a teenager, the pastor of this church told me that my Indian blood was dirty and the entire worth of Indians could be found at the bottom of a whiskey bottle. I have several more experiences to share from growing up in a predominantly white and staunchly Christian conservative town. Another pastor told me that I was a cursed soul and that God hated me after I told him about my abusive childhood. His explanation for the abuse was that God was punishing me because my birth parents had had an affair and I was born out of wedlock. He told me that I might go to hell.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
This life is a test from God. This life is like a school. That is the reason God is hiding. Because if God showed himself to all humans then this life would not have been a test anymore.

"No evidence of God" is because of this a bad argument against God.

I believe in God without evidence because God is hiding on purpose.

This is my opinion.

Any thoughts?
Sure, for your analogy to hold it would be like an abusive teacher who never shows up to teach until after the test is over, then shows up to hand out harsh punishments for those who failed to be self taught.

So is that abusive God the one you believe in?

In my opinion.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Based on my experiences with Christians over the course of my 40+ years alive, I can say with complete confidence that the majority of Christians aren't more moral than non-Christians. And many times, Christians were much worse. I grew up in a Christian home, but I was abused (physically, psychologically, and sexually). I was adopted when I was 4 1/2, and the abuse didn't stop until I confronted my abusive brother and mother shortly after I turned 18. That's 13 1/2 years of abuse that I suffered while I was growing up.

As a child, I attended church with my parents. I learned later in life that the pastor and many people in the congregation were aware of the abuse I suffered at home and the bullying I endured in school. And when I was a teenager, the pastor of this church told me that my Indian blood was dirty and the entire worth of Indians could be found at the bottom of a whiskey bottle. Another evangelical pastor told me that I was a cursed soul and that God hated me after I told him about my abusive childhood. His explanation for the abuse was that God was punishing me because my biological parents had had an affair and I was born out of wedlock. For the record, I have many experiences to share from growing up in a predominantly white and staunchly conservative town.

Christianity has not been high on my "good humans" score card for many years, it's just gone down several more points.

I am glad you have got out of that moral hypocrisy.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Correction, you have a moral code that you believe came from God. And the higher animals have a moral code too. So claiming to have one does not mean that you are not an animal.
I don't see any evidence for animals having morals and I have more experience with wild and domestic animals than most people.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Christianity has not been high on my "good humans" score card for many years, it's just gone down several more points.

I am glad you have got out of that moral hypocrisy.

Thank you for your kind response. As far as I'm concerned, the Christian God is no different than my extended family, the pastor, the church congregation, my neighbors, my teachers in school, and the other people in town who knew I was being abused at home and being bullied and harassed in school. All of these people knew what I was suffering, but none of them ever lifted a finger to rescue me from the abuse. And neither did God. I frantically prayed to him, asking him to save me, but he never did. I guess I wasn't worth the trouble to him, or to the people who knew I was being abused. A "loving, merciful" God, and all these people, turned a blind eye.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I have a moral code that is human, no god involved and i guarantee it is every bit as moral, if not more so than any morality given by a fictional myth.

I assure you that your moral code supersedes the Christian God's moral code because at least you haven't ordered one nation to totally annihilate another and wipe its people off the face of the earth, or ordered one nation to kill off the inhabitants of another nation, so they can take possession of a "promised land." I assume that you haven't committed global genocide by flooding the earth and killing every single person except for one man and his family, because you think he's more morally righteous than everyone else alive. I think it's fair for me to also assume that you would never turn a blind eye if you knew a child was being abused or if you saw another person being physically attacked (beaten up, raped, killed). I doubt that you would ever think that you wouldn't intervene to save the poor child or person because you don't want to interfere with the attackers' freewill. If you've never done any of these things, then rest assured that you are much more morally righteous than God. I could provide more examples for you, but these will suffice.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Did you note the part where I qualified with "no good evidence for God"? This is key, because I (and many, many others) have perused what the various cultures of believers has to offer in terms of evidence, and it is sorely lacking in the compulsion department. As in: the evidence is not compelling.

I, personally, do not state that there is "no evidence for God" - but I stand by the qualified statement that there is "no good evidence for God". The evidence is very, very poor.

In another thread, I questioned a believer as to whether or not their evidence amounted to anything more than words. The words written in scripture, the words spoken by some religious leader, the words you share with your believing peers, etc. Perhaps I will have more luck with you, as the original poster I posed that question to not only declined to answer, but stopped replying to me altogether when I continued to ask it each time he came back with a non-answer.

So, how about it - do you have evidence for God that amounts to more than just words? If you do not, then please realize that this rests in the realm of hearsay, and is therefore easily and properly deemed poor evidence.
You said that there is "no good evidence for God". The evidence is very, very poor.
You said that the words written in scripture, the words spoken by some religious leader, the words you share with your believing peers, etc. is not evidence.

I agree that is not sufficient evidence for God. Words in scripture are not evidence unless we know who wrote the scripture and words of a religious leader or peers are not evidence at all.

Speaking of evidence and proof of God, I have posted threads on that topic..

If God existed would there be proof?

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

I believe that Messengers of God are the best evidence for God and the only evidence that God provides.

Whenever I say that Messengers of God are the evidence of God’s existence atheists say “that’s not evidence.”

So if “that’s not evidence” what would be evidence of God’s existence?

If God existed, where would we get the evidence? How would we get it? What would it be?

ChristineM

Premium Member
Thank you for your kind response. As far as I'm concerned, the Christian God is no different than my extended family, the pastor, the church congregation, my neighbors, my teachers in school, and the other people in town who knew I was being abused at home and being bullied and harassed in school. All of these people knew what I was suffering, but none of them ever lifted a finger to rescue me from the abuse. And neither did God. I frantically prayed to him, asking him to save me, but he never did. I guess I wasn't worth the trouble to him, or to the people who knew I was being abused. A "loving, merciful" God, and all these people, turned a blind eye.

You have learned a very hard lesson and come out a winner

ChristineM

Premium Member
I assure you that your moral code supersedes the Christian God's moral code because at least you haven't ordered one nation to totally annihilate another and wipe its people off the face of the earth, or ordered one nation to kill off the inhabitants of another nation, so they can take possession of a "promised land." I assume that you haven't committed global genocide by flooding the earth and killing every single person except for one man and his family, because you think he's more morally righteous than everyone else alive. I think it's fair for me to also assume that you would never turn a blind eye if you knew a child was being abused or if you saw another person being physically attacked (beaten up, raped, killed). I doubt that you would ever think that you wouldn't intervene to save the poor child or person because you don't want to interfere with the attackers' freewill. If you've never done any of these things, then rest assured that you are much more morally righteous than God. I could provide more examples for you, but these will suffice.

Oh i have my own list including this
p03ybspy.jpg

The work of good Christian terrorists

That's one of four times i have been physically hurt in my life, each time at the hands of christians

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
No, and that is why i feel sorry for you.

Your story reminded me of my larger dog protecting my smaller dog from being attacked by another dog. My larger dog stepped over my smaller dog so she would be underneath my larger dog's body. My larger dog then snarled, showed her teeth, and barked at the other dog, scaring it away. My larger dog would let my smaller dog drink water first and eat first. She would also wait for my smaller dog when it was time to go outside to use the bathroom or go for a walk, and she'd wait for the smaller dog when it was time to come back inside the house. My other dogs will let the cats drink water first and then lay beside them on the bed or floor.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Your story reminded me of my larger dog protecting my smaller dog from being attacked by another dog. My larger dog stepped over my smaller dog so she would be underneath my larger dog's body. My larger dog then snarled, showed her teeth, and barked at the other dog, scaring it away. My larger dog would let my smaller dog drink water first and eat first. She would also wait for my smaller dog when it was time to go outside to use the bathroom or go for a walk, and she'd wait for the smaller dog when it was time to come back inside the house.

And god christians tell us that god doesn't give moral to animals