• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"No evidence of God" = Is a bad argument against God

firedragon

Veteran Member
This life is a test from God. This life is like a school. That is the reason God is hiding. Because if God showed himself to all humans then this life would not have been a test anymore.

"No evidence of God" is because of this a bad argument against God.

I believe in God without evidence because God is hiding on purpose.

This is my opinion.

Any thoughts?

Its true that "no evidence of God" is a very bad argument but you will find many people saying "no, neither I or my tribe who they will call ""WE"" dont use that argument".

Nevertheless, you are speaking of the term called divine hiddenness. In your opinion, what is God? Is he a physical being who could be seen if he does not hide?

firedragon

Veteran Member
So how absurd it is, I have faith in the idea of objective knowledge, yet I can't do everyday life without having faith in humans.

Out of curiosity, do you have faith that knowledge is objective, but all truths are subjective? I ask because you have said many times or at least indicated many times that all truths are subjective. I remember vividly that you said about one truth claim that you deny it because its subjective.

If you have time.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Out of curiosity, do you have faith that knowledge is objective, but all truths are subjective? I ask because you have said many times or at least indicated many times that all truths are subjective. I remember vividly that you said about one truth claim that you deny it because its subjective.

If you have time.

Because truth and knowledge are to me subjective belief systems, which works in the mind, where as objective knowledge is about objective reality independent of the mind and being epistemologically fair (Rene Descartes and all the other skeptical cases) and thus objective knowledge requires faith in that you and I are ontologically real and not in the Matrix or similar cases. I do believe in that this is not an illusion, but that requires faith to a skeptic like me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This life is a test from God. This life is like a school. That is the reason God is hiding. Because if God showed himself to all humans then this life would not have been a test anymore.

"No evidence of God" is because of this a bad argument against God.

I believe in God without evidence because God is hiding on purpose.

This is my opinion.

Any thoughts?
I believe that there is evidence for God although there is no proof of God. Evidence is not proof.

The reason God does not prove He exists is because God wants our faith. If God proved He exists then we would no longer need faith.

Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who approaches Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.

We must first believe that it is possible for God to exist, and that requires faith since no man has ever seen God, so the test before us is to believe God exists on faith.

I believe that God will reward those who earnestly seek Him with the evidence they need, but God will not force anyone to accept the evidence. That is a choice and it is a test. It is a test to see who will believe in the evidence that God provides, which is His Messengers, and who will not believe on that basis.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I feel that when someone states that there is "no evidence for God" or "no good evidence for God", this isn't really an argument against God, per se. It is more an argument for not wasting one's time nurturing or fostering a belief in such a thing. That is, at least, what I would argue.
That would be true if there was no evidence for God, but there is evidence, just no proof.

Bathos Logos

That would be true if there was no evidence for God, but there is evidence, just no proof.
Did you note the part where I qualified with "no good evidence for God"? This is key, because I (and many, many others) have perused what the various cultures of believers has to offer in terms of evidence, and it is sorely lacking in the compulsion department. As in: the evidence is not compelling.

I, personally, do not state that there is "no evidence for God" - but I stand by the qualified statement that there is "no good evidence for God". The evidence is very, very poor.

In another thread, I questioned a believer as to whether or not their evidence amounted to anything more than words. The words written in scripture, the words spoken by some religious leader, the words you share with your believing peers, etc. Perhaps I will have more luck with you, as the original poster I posed that question to not only declined to answer, but stopped replying to me altogether when I continued to ask it each time he came back with a non-answer.

So, how about it - do you have evidence for God that amounts to more than just words? If you do not, then please realize that this rests in the realm of hearsay, and is therefore easily and properly deemed poor evidence.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Why should it? The only morals that the jungle has is survival by any means

I feel sorry for you.

Morality is a human thing, and also many other mamals. To steal it for yourself as religion has done is very immoral and goes against thou shalt not steal

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I feel sorry for you.

Morality is a human thing, and also many other mamals. To steal it for yourself as religion has done is very immoral and goes against thou shalt not steal
Why feel sorry? I have a moral code given by God. Yes, most people have morals, but they vary a lot. And the fact that we have them at all means we aren't just animals.
My dogs kill to kill. So do many animals... Just the way it is, humans are generally different. Why?

MonkeyFire

You don’t always need evidence of something, believing in something is also a sense of gnosis, how you say belief is the evidence/

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why feel sorry? I have a moral code given by God. Yes, most people have morals, but they vary a lot. And the fact that we have them at all means we aren't just animals.
My dogs kill to kill. So do many animals... Just the way it is, humans are generally different. Why?
Correction, you have a moral code that you believe came from God. And the higher animals have a moral code too. So claiming to have one does not mean that you are not an animal.