• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

No democracy in America?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Bosnia and Herzegovina has issued tenders for electronic voting booths and it's generating quite a significant public backlash, who do not trust the government nor partisan corporations to collect and count votes electronically.

The media has interviewed experts from across Europe and in North America and all of them listed the American election system as an example of what a democracy doesn't want - where partisan (Republican) companies manufacteur the electronic voting booths, patent their interal workings as a company secret so no authentic audit can be performed, and in some cases do not even issue a paper trail in case of problems.

Representatives from Canada and Germany openly said it's completely plausible that the previous few American elections have been decided by these companies, and there is no way the American people are, or could ever be, wise to the problem because of the regulations.

Is this true? How true is it? If it's true at all, why do people tolerate it?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
From what I hear, Mila, it's a very real threat to democracy in our country.

I've heard of some local efforts to ban such machines. Also, some studies that show they can be easily corrupted.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I've never used an electronic voting booth here in the US. The reasons you just listed have been holding back e-voting's implimentation here in the US. I can't say that there are NO e-voting booths in the US, as I only live in one part, but don't you remeber all the uproar that was involved in the 2000 election about "butterfly ballots" and "hanging chads"? These are both problems that stemmed ANALOG voting.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
We had a scandal in Bosnia and Herzegovina once in Stolac municipality. Tens of thousands of Bosniaks returned after the war, far outnumbering Bosnian Croats in at least one district. Yet the nationalist Croat party won by a landslide in every district in the city.

They compared the official results with exit polls and found exit polls predicted a victory for the nationalist Bosniak party in at least three districts. The ballots were taken to Sarajevo and recounted by a European organization, and the exit polls were proven correct.

So my question is, have the exit polls in America varied from the actual results in those districts? It doesn't have to be drastic... it can be like... exit polls show 56% voting Republic, actualy results show 67% voting Republican - that's a difference too great to be statistically plausible.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I just heard on the local news that the electronic voting machines are so screwed up here in Colorado that both the Republicans and the Democrats are urging people to by pass them this election cycle by voting with absentee (paper) ballots.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
Why does it always have to be something? In America, it seems the corporations are the foundation of government. In Western Europe, it's the social welface organizations. In Eastern Europe, its the militaries.

There's always something that has its hand up government's skirt.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Bosnia and Herzegovina has issued tenders for electronic voting booths and it's generating quite a significant public backlash, who do not trust the government nor partisan corporations to collect and count votes electronically.

The media has interviewed experts from across Europe and in North America and all of them listed the American election system as an example of what a democracy doesn't want - where partisan (Republican) companies manufacteur the electronic voting booths, patent their interal workings as a company secret so no authentic audit can be performed, and in some cases do not even issue a paper trail in case of problems.

Representatives from Canada and Germany openly said it's completely plausible that the previous few American elections have been decided by these companies, and there is no way the American people are, or could ever be, wise to the problem because of the regulations.

Be up in arms, and do NOT settle for this system.

It's true. People are not happy about it. But they'll have to get the people in power to change it, and why would those people listen to complaints, unless they had some serious chance of being tossed out of power? It helps people in power stay in power.

btw, I'm a poll manager in Georgia, and yup, we use the Diebold machines.

Here's the only "paper trail" we get. On each machine:

1. A printout of totals before we open the poll (the zero report, because it had better start with zeros for everyone).

2. Three copies of totals printed after we close the polls. One is attached to the zero report. The other two are separated and are copies that go to the county offices and the state.

3. Three copies of "accumulator" totals, which are the totals for all machines at the polling place. Two copies go on to the country, and one is taped on the polling place before we leave.

There is additional paperwork meant to check and balance the number of votes on the machines. The totals for voters on the machines have to match the number of voters on the numbered list, which must match the bound voter certificates.

But the real problem is not in this area. It's that anything at all can happen in the black box machines between poll opening and closing.

Our county election officials are really quite competent, and they do extensive testing of every machine prior to an election, and that would *probably* reveal anything strange turning up in results.

Of course, no one sees the source code, so it would be terribly easy to have the software set up to detect the date and run through a slightly different bit of code when its actually election day. The most rank junior programmer would have no difficulty writing that bit of code.

In the last presidential election there were multiple voters in Ohio complaining that even though they voted for one particular candidate, the final "here's who you want to vote for" page showed the opponent. So they'd go back and select their candidate again, and the final page would *still* have the opponent listed. Some voters did this as much as 3 times before their vote actually "took." You can imagine how many voters didn't take the time to review their choice before they touched Cast Ballot.

I know there are people who think including an individual slip would solve the problem, but I'm not entirely sure how that would work, given how the machines work. If the slip comes up with someone the person didn't want to vote for, there is no way to back out the ballot that has been cast already. There is no advantage at all if the person takes the slip away, for there would be nothing left for us to use for a recount.

The only use I can see in it is during a recount, we might actually have enough detail of a paper trail if people left the slips with us in a separate sealed box that we had to return to the elections office. In the case of a recount, those slips had better match what the accumulator tape says. That would be enough to make it worthwhile, but until I hear some bright person come up with how you can back out a vote the voter claims is incorrect, I can't see it's enough.

And even if we solve this problem, there are time-honoured ways to suppress voter turnout in areas.

The classic is to send too few machines to a poll for a number of voters. This makes for long lines, and people leave. In other areas where the votes go your way, you send more than enough machines, so there's no waiting.

Or you can always hire some hack firm to scrub voter lists of supposed felons, many of which are most certainly not felons, many of which are bad data to begin with, and many of which don't even live in the state or have names that don't even match. If you can toss 90,000 voters off the voter rolls, and the happen to mostly be African-American, this will work wonders for any candidate in a particular party. It seems to have worked quite well in Florida, and didn't even require tampering with machines.

The old ways still work.

Am I confident about the accuracy of voting in my county? Actually, yes. I know the team that works on this, and while they are really scrupulous about voicing NO political opinions, still they are a diverse lot in many ways, and so provide a check on any one or two of them being able to do anything stupid. Plus, Maxine is just one of the most straightforward people I've ever met, and that's one broad you just don't get past.

However, I do NOT have such confidence in the elections offices in other counties in Georgia. There are counties where a certain group is "in charge" and there is every possibility of some of them deciding to take advantage, though it's more likely they use the time-honoured methods than newfangled ones.

------
Oh my! Just on a lark I went to check www.blackboxvoting.org, and I must say, they just lost all credibility with me. There's a story about the primary in DeKalb County this summer and how all sorts of irregularities were supposedly going on in my county.

The info is from Cynthia McKinney, and sure as **** is news to me. And we poll managers, we do talk outside of election day. :D Believe me, if there was gossip to be had like this, I woulda heard it. The stupidest thing that happened at the last election is some newbie poll manager didn't realize there was some setup to do the day before the poll opened, and had a heckuva time getting opened by 7am.

Cynthia McKinney, and I'm being charitable here, is a fruitcake.

She's burned that she lost yet another primary. The last time that happened, she first blamed it on the Jews, and went down the list her bigoted mind could think of, and eventually claimed it was the Hindus that lost her the primary.

I don't suppose it ever occured to her that her racism turned off even the most diehard liberals, that her stupid comments after 9/11 turned off pretty much anyone with a brain cell in their head, regardless of ethnic background or creed, and that her recent assault of a DC police officer sort of finished it for anyone else. Oh, not to mention she pays homeless people a trifling sum to stand around all day on election day with signs. Uh...not exactly in keeping with wage standards, is it Ms. M?

Uh...right Cynthia...lots of voting fraud here in DeKalb County, but ONLY because you lost another primary. When you won, that was fine with you.

You really should stop smoking that stuff. :rolleyes:

Booko

Deviled Hen
Djamila said:
Why does it always have to be something? In America, it seems the corporations are the foundation of government. In Western Europe, it's the social welface organizations. In Eastern Europe, its the militaries.

There's always something that has its hand up government's skirt.

We should have this engraved on a plaque and put it up on the RF wall somewhere.

Inky

Djamila said:

Here's some graphs for you, comparing the difference between exit polls and actual votes when using paper ballots v. voting machines:

20041106_truth.gif

20041106_fiction.gif

As for myself, I'd describe America as a plutocracy.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Inky said:
Here's some graphs for you, comparing the difference between exit polls and actual votes when using paper ballots v. voting machines
While these are interesting, they only represent 16 of the 50 states and do not include any methodology for composition of the exit poll sampling. Perhaps you have a link to the entire study instead of just the parts, possibly taken out of context, that seem to support bias among the machines.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
RyanD said:
That's a fairly morbid assertion, :cover:

I'm pretty pessimistic about changing anything fundamental about human nature, and political corruption seems to be fueled by things fundamental to human nature.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't really understand the advantages of all this expensive electronic high-tech. Is it supposed to be processing speed? If so, what's the hurry? It's not like the president-elect is going to be sworn in a week after the election. There's plenty of time to manually count paper ballots before the actual inauguration.

The more complicated the mechanism the more chances of something going awry.
Why not keep it simple?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Inky said:
Here's some graphs for you, comparing the difference between exit polls and actual votes when using paper ballots v. voting machines:
If those aren't cherry picked stats, they are very frightening.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
I'm pretty pessimistic about changing anything fundamental about human nature, and political corruption seems to be fueled by things fundamental to human nature.
I'm kinda the same. I suppose putting humans in positions where human nature will have bad results is...well, going to lead to bad results. Human nature is as good as it is bad as far as I can see, We need to learn how to encourage the good, minimise the bad.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Seyorni said:
I don't really understand the advantages of all this expensive electronic high-tech. Is it supposed to be processing speed? If so, what's the hurry? It's not like the president-elect is going to be sworn in a week after the election. There's plenty of time to manually count paper ballots before the actual inauguration.

The more complicated the mechanism the more chances of something going awry.
Why not keep it simple?

The supposed advantage is speed in tallying the vote. Goodness knows, we couldn't possibly wait a few more hours to find out results.

There is a known problem with stuffing paper ballots, though. I wouldn't call that a very good alternative.

Scantron, where you can see what's on the paper, put it through a machine to confirm it's reading it okay, and then submit it to the ballot box when its done, seems a much better alternative, being something of a cross between paper ballots and technology.