• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ passes bill keeping Trump from

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Nj passes a bill to keep all Presidential candidates from running who do not make their taxes public.I certainly hope this will keep Trump out!
NJ Senate passes bill that would keep Trump off 2020 ballot unless he releases tax returns
I prognosticate a lawsuit about it. There could be some kind of a disagreement over the constitutional requirements for running for president which are specified. It would require an amendment probably, although in the short term it might make things messy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I prognosticate a lawsuit about it. There could be some kind of a disagreement over the constitutional requirements for running for president which are specified. It would require an amendment probably, although in the short term it might make things messy.
Aye, nothing will be accomplished except for lawyers lining their pockets with taxpayer money.
At least the caviar, limousine, & yacht industries will benefit from some trickle down.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The question for me is whether or not a restriction on electors would be allowed, any restriction? I think there are some now but am not 100% sure.

The key paragraph from that news story:
The bill, if passed, would also bar the state’s electors from voting for candidates for president and vice president as part of the Electoral College system if they choose not to comply with the legislation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Reading the article it appears that this was tried was before, and Christie got it right that time:

"The New Jersey legislature passed the same bill in 2017, but the measure was blocked by a veto from then-Gov. Chris Christie (R), who called it a “transparent political stunt" at the time."

Even if signed by the Governor it will be met with a lawsuit that it will almost certainly fail. If I was a betting man I would put a nice sum on this.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
Aye, nothing will be accomplished except for lawyers lining their pockets with taxpayer money.
At least the caviar, limousine, & yacht industries will benefit from some trickle down.
Sure, but interesting optics regarding who is actually going to file the suit.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The state is clearly overstepping its bounds in regards to political elections. But let me do a little research. I could be wrong.
I would be interested in whatever you find.
I'd never thought about it in this way, but I am pretty sure state legislatures aren't even constitutionally bound to hold presidential elections. That's why the President isn't actually elected, state legislatures can send whoever they want, the public polls are "tradition". They're not required.
Rather like releasing your tax returns.
Tom

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I would be interested in whatever you find.
I'd never thought about it in this way, but I am pretty sure state legislatures aren't even constitutionally bound to hold presidential elections. That's why the President isn't actually elected, state legislatures can send whoever they want, the public polls are "tradition". They're not required.
Rather like releasing your tax returns.
Tom

I have not found anything concrete, but I am not a constitutional scholar. Perhaps the 24th Amendment, but probably not, might apply.

Nous

Premium Member
As for the constitutionality of such a law, the federal Constitution sets out certain basic eligibility requirements for President, but states can and do impose a variety of restrictions on who may be on the ballot in that state -- e.g., by regulations on the selection process by parties and signature requirements for independent candidates -- and states have "plenary" power over the "manner" of appointing their own electors. For instance, states can exclude faithless electors. Thus I conclude that a state law requiring its electors to vote only for presidential candidates who have released their tax returns should be constitutional, as do Laurence Tribe, Richard Painter and Norm Eisen. And I conclude that our federalism-friendly Chief Justice should agree that such a law is constitutional. And if he doesn't, we shall all have a talk with him.