• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NIV

Corban

i take occasion with use of the NIV, I prefer to drink water at the source not downstream when it has been handled by ignorant translators. 2 Peter 1:20 "knowing this first that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." who are these translotors of the NIV, why should i listen to their private interpretation?

chimpa

Does this mean you are against all translations of the Bible, or is it a specific concern you have with the NIV? Is it the anonymity of the translators?

Whilst I am using it less and less these days, I grew up on the NIV, and so have always felt a degree of protectiveness towards it. I have read some of the KJV-Only (KJVO) arguments, and some of the points they make regarding small problems with the NIV are true. However, on the whole, I have never had a problem with it. What is the specific problem you have with this translation?

If you are truly going to take that verse as you have presented it, and not "drink downstream", then surely you are backing yourself into a corner where the only documents you can justify reading are the original manuscripts! So be a little careful about what you say.

Pah

Uber all member
chimpa said:
If you are truly going to take that verse as you have presented it, and not "drink downstream", then surely you are backing yourself into a corner where the only documents you can justify reading are the original manuscripts! So be a little careful about what you say.

There are no original manuscripts so it would be difficult to read them. The original Greek autographs for the New Testamant were wittten in Greek by those that spoke Aramaic so the original texts were a translation to begin with.

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, Chaldean and Armaic

http://www.bibleteacher.org/greek.htm