• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nissan, NASA teaming on "game changing" electric vehicle batteries

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are some stuck in the horse & buggy gasoline engine era because electric cars are not "good enough" ignoring how technology has worked for many decades. There's a big demand for faster charging more stable car batteries and we're seeing the response. Those who believe in capitalism should cheer businesses responding to demand by working to meet that demand.

Nissan, NASA teaming on "game changing" electric vehicle batteries so stable they could be used in pacemakers

The battery would be stable enough to be used in pacemakers, Nissan said. When finished, it will be about half the size of the current battery and fully charge in 15 minutes instead of a few hours.

The collaboration with the U.S. space program, as well as the University of California San Diego, involves the testing of various materials, Corporate Vice President Kazuhiro Doi told reporters.

"Both NASA and Nissan need the same kind of battery," he said.
Other automakers, including Japanese rival Toyota Motor Corp., as well as Volkswagen of Germany and U.S. automakers Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co., are working on all-solid-state batteries.

Recently, General Motors and Japanese automaker Honda Motor Co. said they were working together on next-generation electric vehicles.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are some stuck in the horse & buggy gasoline engine era because electric cars are not "good enough" ignoring how technology has worked for many decades.
Well, it definitely is not good enuf for many of us.
Sure, they're great for commuting & not-too-long
distance traveling. But such cars are very spendy
compared to IC engine powered cars.
Electrics simply cannot replace regular cars yet.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it definitely is not good enuf for many of us.
Sure, they're great for commuting & not-too-long
distance traveling. But such cars are very spendy
compared to IC engine powered cars.
Electrics simply cannot replace regular cars yet.

In my country, the charging infrastructure and import taxes on electric cars also make them even harder to attain and use daily than ICE ones.

Hybrid cars are the best of both worlds for now, although I'd go for an EV in a heartbeat if the two above issues weren't so much of a hindrance.

Edit: I should also point out that if I had to get an ICE car, it would be one of the more economical ones in terms of fuel consumption, such as a smaller Toyota or Mazda. I despise unnecessarily bulky, gas-guzzling SUVs (although I know some people genuinely need the roomier interior and cargo space).

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It would be great if this is good news. But I suspect a lot of toxic, eco-destroying mining and manufacturing and disposal issues are being ignored.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I used to disparage Spiro Agnew and his "nattering nabobs of negativism" back in the day. But that is certainly an apt and useful phrase.

The whole point of the thread was not "yet" but the opposite - new promising tech developments.

As far as toxic waste goes, maybe or maybe not. Given what's going on with climate change, I'm all in on new technology along with making sure that the cure is not worse than the disease.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to disparage Spiro Agnew and his "nattering nabobs of negativism" back in the day. But that is certainly an apt and useful phrase.

The whole point of the thread was not "yet" but the opposite - new promising tech developments.

As far as toxic waste goes, maybe or maybe not. Given what's going on with climate change, I'm all in on new technology along with making sure that the cure is not worse than the disease.

I'm excited about EVs and the more affordable segment thereof with Kia, Hyundai, and others now making decent and affordable EVs. I find the technology very impressive and promising but just think the transition still needs time.

As for toxic waste, our current consumption rate of fossil fuels is unsustainable anyway, so I'm all for thinking outside that box and seeking a better alternative even if it's not ideal (and I agree it shouldn't be pursued if it's worse than the problem it aims to solve).

exchemist

Veteran Member
There are some stuck in the horse & buggy gasoline engine era because electric cars are not "good enough" ignoring how technology has worked for many decades. There's a big demand for faster charging more stable car batteries and we're seeing the response. Those who believe in capitalism should cheer businesses responding to demand by working to meet that demand.

Nissan, NASA teaming on "game changing" electric vehicle batteries so stable they could be used in pacemakers

The battery would be stable enough to be used in pacemakers, Nissan said. When finished, it will be about half the size of the current battery and fully charge in 15 minutes instead of a few hours.

The collaboration with the U.S. space program, as well as the University of California San Diego, involves the testing of various materials, Corporate Vice President Kazuhiro Doi told reporters.

Other automakers, including Japanese rival Toyota Motor Corp., as well as Volkswagen of Germany and U.S. automakers Ford Motor Co. and General Motors Co., are working on all-solid-state batteries.

Recently, General Motors and Japanese automaker Honda Motor Co. said they were working together on next-generation electric vehicles.
Pity there are no details of the chemistry. But perhaps they don't have all their patent coverage in place yet.

I imagine that, if a pilot plant will start in 2024, they must have the technology and economics fairly well sorted out already.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I used to disparage Spiro Agnew and his "nattering nabobs of negativism" back in the day.
It's fine to dream about a future of all electric cars
the emit only rainbows & unicorn gas. But you
simply cannot demand that it be reality now.
There are hurdles that electrics simply cannot
overcome in the immediate future, eg, capital
cost, range, availability.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Pity there are no details of the chemistry.
Over many years, I've heard glowing descriptions of fantastic
new technologies for engines, bearings, & other things. Often
they're short on details, & most of the time none ever pan out.
I'll believe in radical new tech when it actually arrives & succeeds
in the marketplace.
There have been so many failed dreams, eg, gas turbines,
Stirling engines, GM's electric truck, Scotch yoke engines.
The Orbital is one prominent pipe dream I remember.
A clean & efficient 2-stroke gasoline engine? Pbbbttt!
Why the Australian Orbital two-stroke engine never took off

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Other engine technologies could extend the life of
the IC engine in the marketplace.

Regenerative gas turbines would be useful in
hybrid electric cars. A very small engine would
not power the vehicle alone, but it would supplement
the electric portion of the hybrid.
(Turbines aren't useful as stand alone powerplants
cuz they're efficient only at max power. Not a problem
for a small engine running a hybrid. It need only be
started if a long trip.)
Good points....
- Fuel flexibility. (If it can burn, it'll work.)
- High reliability.
- Fuel efficiency. (The regenerative feature captures
exhaust heat to warm incoming air.)

Opposed piston engine tech has been around a long
time, & has been proven to be efficient & reliable.
It costs a little more to make, but fuel savings these
days will justify the cost. It would be appropriate
for IC engine only cars, & for hybrid electrics.
Good points...
- Fuel efficiency.
- Applicable to to gas, gasoline, & diesel.
- Simple valving system improves reliability.
- Uniflow (cool areas stay cool. Hot areas stay hot. This reduces heat transfer losses.)
- Lower piston speed lengthens life.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
We've been kicking the environmentally-unsustainable can down the road for decades now. At some point, humans are going to have to make a change in this regard, if we're going to survive.

One approach is to remove most subsidies. For example, we shouldn't subsidize beef production. If beef wasn't subsidized it might cost $30 / pound. It should! Because that's what it costs the environment to produce beef. We shouldn't be subsidizing big oil. Gas SHOULD cost $10 or $15 / gallon. Because that's what it costs the environment.

Our lifestyles are simply not sustainable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I'd rather have the complete picture rather than carefully chosen words that hide its shortcomings and flaws.

I can still fuel my vehicle and be off in 5 minutes. Not 15.

Two cars charging in front means you will be there for 45 minutes. No thanks.

That said I do encourage any and all improvements but it's not ready right now. Maybe a later time.