• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Niqab (Face Covering), a new understanding...

Ellen Brown

I hope that you will excuse my not posting this in the Islam DIR. This is not about Islam, but about helping outsiders to understand something about a woman's Islamic Fashion.

Yes, there is no absolute requirement to cover your face, though some extremists force women to do it.

After meeting and talking with a young woman from Saudi Arabia who was wearing Niqab, and then seeing her subsequent actions in the following days, my understanding has increased. It is now clear that she was wearing Niqab for privacy, and protection in her new situation. She had come to America just a matter of days before to attend College, so it should be easy to understand that she might have a bit of anxiety about that.

In subsequent encounters, she wore only head covering, and last week she did not wear that. I can only guess that she felt secure enough here that she could do as she pleased.

Before, I'd seen Hijab and Niqab as a religious requirement, but now it is easy to see that is not always the case. True, in many areas in Saudi Arabia and surrounding gulf states, appearing sans covering will get a woman mistreated without fail.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
This is not about Islam, but about helping outsiders to understand something about a woman's Islamic Fashion.

Thanks for sharing.

I think that is true. I saw a few youtubes in which Imaams said that it was difficult for them and other Muslim men to control their sexual desires and that's why the female dress was important. From this I concluded that for women this indeed must feel much more safe, especially in Muslim countries. So I am not so surprised this woman took it off after a few days in America.

I do like the Niqab. Looks nice on them. But knowing they use it out of fear, to protect themselves, gives me a less nice feeling. Must be terrible to feel the need to be covered because of fear for men.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Thank you for the informative OP. To me, it's the woman's decision and no one else's. But I had not considered the privacy/protection (security) aspect as you presented it.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Tell me why again the west wants to import the kind of culture that leads to this (presumably justified), defensive orientation?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Tell me why again the west wants to import the kind of culture that leads to this (presumably justified), defensive orientation?
Well, wholesale importation does cause problems. I do agree with this. Assimilation might take a generation or two.
But I won't front and say I have the answers. Some immigrants can find success, others not so much.
And before anyone claims I'm being racist, I'm from an immigrant family and grew up in multiple communities. I want to tear down the walls between tribes, not create more. And maybe allowing people to keep literally everything exactly intact is not as productive as people hoped it would be. Both sides should make compromises. Then we can back to more important things. Like football and football.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Before, I'd seen Hijab and Niqab as a religious requirement, but now it is easy to see that is not always the case. True, in many areas in Saudi Arabia and surrounding gulf states, appearing sans covering will get a woman mistreated without fail.

I'd imagine it's like every other habit done out of appearance, that's to say it's part of your "skin" and you get used to it. But, it doesn't change the fact that the reason it has been a custom is the oppression of women. Does that custom occasionally have some utility? Sure! I mean, if you're breathing air filled with sand or it's snowing covering your face completely is wise. But, it doesn't change the "why."

Ellen Brown

I am American, but have had some limited exposure to the Middle East, and converted to Islam in 2005, though there have been ups and downs with Islam for me. The Christianity that I had been involved with for 33 years is frankly a straight up debacle. I am very critical of them for not actually following their own texts.

So, speaking as a Muslim American, I can't understand how a culture exists where a woman is treated at the same level as a cow. I can't understand how it is
I'd imagine it's like every other habit done out of appearance, that's to say it's part of your "skin" and you get used to it. But, it doesn't change the fact that the reason it has been a custom is the oppression of women. Does that custom occasionally have some utility? Sure! I mean, if you're breathing air filled with sand or it's snowing covering your face completely is wise. But, it doesn't change the "why."

I think that perhaps the Tuareg may have made a contribution to it. They live in an area in Northern Africa that is about as close to Mars as possible, I think. Both the men and women cover everything except a tiny slit for their eyes.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
One question.
Let's pretend I convert to paganism and I wear a Roman tunic to go to work.
why are people allowed to call my dress a "Carnival costume" but can't say anything about hijab\niqab?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
One question.
Let's pretend I convert to paganism and I wear a Roman tunic to go to work.
why are people allowed to call my dress a "Carnival costume" but can't say anything about hijab\niqab?
Pagans still wear the Roman Tunic? I mean I know various religious orders wear modern tunics, didn't realise the Roman Tunic was still in use.
I'd imagine it would earn you more Monty Python jabs than carnival costume accusations out in public. At least where I live.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
During the Dies Natalis of Rome...yes..we do:)

Wow. You learn something new everyday.
Cool.
But I'd still automatically respond to anyone wearing a Roman Tunic with
"I have a vewy good fwiend in Wome called Biggus Dickus."

Notanumber

A Free Man
Whenever I see a female with her face covered my first thought is has she been subjected to FGM.

I wonder what percentage of those that wear the Niqab, etc., have been cut.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I am American, but have had some limited exposure to the Middle East, and converted to Islam in 2005, though there have been ups and downs with Islam for me. The Christianity that I had been involved with for 33 years is frankly a straight up debacle. I am very critical of them for not actually following their own texts.

So, speaking as a Muslim American, I can't understand how a culture exists where a woman is treated at the same level as a cow. I can't understand how it is

Well I'm no fan of christianity either. So put another way, why would we want to invite more religious fundamentalism of any ilk?

GoodbyeDave

I can't see that this belongs in the Seekers' Circle. We already know that a high proportion of men raised in Islam have no respect for women. It naturally follows that the women there may feel insecure in public. And explaining one barbarous custom with another will hardly endear it to the rest of us.