• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike, Betsy Ross, and Arizona

shmogie

Nike, because of a complaint from Colin Kapernick, the used to be not very good NFL quarterback, has withdrawn from the market shoes with the Betsy Ross flag on them. Ross was a Founding Mother.

In response, Governor Doug Ducey of Arizona has withdrawn all state financial incentives that were approved for a Nike move to Arizona.

He pointed out that Nike, because of what Ross and others established, has become a thriving company.

The Governor, in essence, told Nike they are not welcome in Arizona any longer because of their decision.

I am glad to be an Arizonan. Goodbye Nike, and good riddance.

The Reverend Bob

Fart Machine and Beastmaster
So you believe as counter to the Flag Code of Conduct which say the flag is not to be worn as apparel, never be attach to any design, is not to be used for commercial purposes, is not to be printed or impress on any product that can be thrown away, is not to be worn as a part of any costume or athletic uniform should be allowed to be disrespected thusly because you didn't like what some former football player had to say

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Nike, because of a complaint from Colin Kapernick, the used to be not very good NFL quarterback, has withdrawn from the market shoes with the Betsy Ross flag on them. Ross was a Founding Mother.

In response, Governor Doug Ducey of Arizona has withdrawn all state financial incentives that were approved for a Nike move to Arizona.

He pointed out that Nike, because of what Ross and others established, has become a thriving company.

The Governor, in essence, told Nike they are not welcome in Arizona any longer because of their decision.

Why would Arizona ever give taxpayer money to a company as profitable and PC as Nike?

Is corporate welfare their idea of financial aid to the indigent?
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
There goes those jobs that some Arizonians could have used
How about Arizona spends that money hiring teachers or fixing infrastructure instead of padding the wallets of Nike executives?
If Arizona is a good place to manufacture the rich folks wouldn't need bribes, now would they?
Tom

The Reverend Bob

How about Arizona spends that money hiring teachers or fixing infrastructure instead of padding the wallets of Nike executives?
If Arizona is a good place to manufacture the rich folks wouldn't need bribes, now would they?
Tom
This too would create jobs and probably more than Nike would have had to offer

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This too would create jobs and probably more than Nike would have had to offer
A lot more.
Arizona was offering bribes to a country that reliably takes jobs overseas. That pays their celebrity spokesmen more than the people who actually make the shoes.

Nike is an ugly company. I am thrilled that they're not going to get taxpayer support.
At least not in Arizona. The politicians here in Indiana are painfully likely to give the corporate welfare/bribes in exchange for the kickbacks. Because around here, Christian ministers can generally get a voting majority for anything, and the politicians know that.
Tom

shmogie

Why would Arizona ever give taxpayer money to a company as profitable and PC as Nike?

Is corporate welfare their idea of financial aid to the indigent?
Tom
Big corporations get incentives to bring their jobs to a state. NYC had a deal with Amazon based on incentives, that the bartender helped shoot down because of the incentives. The majority of the people in NY were quite upset about losing the jobs and long term revenue from the jobs.

It s common. The incentives may not be just financial, but things like location and zoning are at play too.

whirlingmerc

So you believe as counter to the Flag Code of Conduct which say the flag is not to be worn as apparel, never be attach to any design, is not to be used for commercial purposes, is not to be printed or impress on any product that can be thrown away, is not to be worn as a part of any costume or athletic uniform should be allowed to be disrespected thusly because you didn't like what some former football player had to say

Does that apply to old versions of the flag?
Or flags on bumper stickers or political buttons?
Or the stars on a tie?

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
As the Governor said, Arizona is doing very well, we don´t need a company like Nike here.
The Arizona economy is booming. You don't need another company adding to that revenue stream. Especially one that doesn't have "true" American values.

Rational Agnostic

The Betsy Ross flag was used by the Nazi party as a symbol. Your governor is an idiot. I will make a point to wear Nike as often as I can.

shmogie

Hmmmmmm, a blue circle with 13 stars on a pair of shoes is a breach of the flag code of conduct ?

You of course know, that that code is not a law, is not enforceable.

My police uniform, that I wore until I became a detective had a flag on it, on the chest, opposite my badge.

Wow !, I and thousands of others were way out of line. Maybe Krapernick didn´t say the flag was racist, maybe he just reminded them of the code.

The Reverend Bob

My police uniform, that I wore until I became a detective had a flag on it, on the chest, opposite my badge.
That is allow by the code being that you are a public servant who sworn an oath to protect the Constitution. As to where you take that oath seriously and apply it to all regardless of race, creed or color is up to debate.