• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nihilistic Pantheism

Straw Dog

Here's some nihilistic pantheist prose and poetry inspired by various sources, including naturalistic pantheism, Taoism, Discordianism, existentialism, Absurdism, nihilism.

"The god that can be known
is not the One True God.
The word that can be written
is not the Eternal Word.

The godless was the beginning of heaven and earth.
The cosmos was the mother of the mundane masses.

Eliminate ego in order to experience existence.
Express ego in order to experience essence.
Existence and essence are the same
yet diverge in being as they issue
forth freely from
Emptiness.

Being one and the same
they are called deep mystery.
Mystery upon mystery,
the way to the Great Unknown."

"If unity within all is divine
then the multitudes are mundane.
If everything is seen as sacred
then nothing can be called profane."

Last edited:

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
How can it possibly be nihilistic? You attribute divinity to the entire cosmos? If something is held sacred, then it informs you of its value. That is meaning. Once you have meaning how can you claim to have a nihilistic ideology?

MTF

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I see nothing nihilistic about this.

[QUOTE: Wikipedia:]

Nihilism ( /ˈnaɪ.ɨlɪzəm/ or /ˈniː.ɨlɪzəm/; from the Latin nihil, nothing) is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological, metaphysical, or ontological forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that contrary to popular belief, some aspect of reality does not exist as such."

I onc ewent through a nihilistic phase. Needless to say, nihilists are not to be feared.

EDIT: Not dissing the poetry, it is good. Just not nihilistic :D

Straw Dog

How can it possibly be nihilistic? You attribute divinity to the entire cosmos? If something is held sacred, then it informs you of its value. That is meaning. Once you have meaning how can you claim to have a nihilistic ideology?

MTF

The negation of meaning in itself is "meaningful" in a way. If everything is sacred then nothing truly is. Nothingness becomes sacred. Its nihilistic in its attempt to annihilate the duality of sacred vs. mundane.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
The negation of meaning in itself is "meaningful" in a way. If everything is sacred then nothing truly is. Nothingness becomes sacred. Its nihilistic in its attempt to annihilate the duality of sacred vs. mundane.

I have never heard of it described as nihilism, but alright. The emptiness though, is not nothingness, it is beyond definition and is thus neither nothing or something, so there is nothing to negate. Regardless of definition though (as we are just talking semantics), I dig what your saying, and I agree.

Sorry, not debating you, just rambling for a moment :D

Straw Dog

I see nothing nihilistic about this.

[QUOTE: Wikipedia:]

Nihilism ( /ˈnaɪ.ɨlɪzəm/ or /ˈniː.ɨlɪzəm/; from the Latin nihil, nothing) is the philosophical doctrine suggesting the negation of one or more putatively meaningful aspects of life. Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value.[1] Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived. Nihilism can also take epistemological, metaphysical, or ontological forms, meaning respectively that, in some aspect, knowledge is not possible, or that contrary to popular belief, some aspect of reality does not exist as such."

I onc ewent through a nihilistic phase. Needless to say, nihilists are not to be feared.

EDIT: Not dissing the poetry, it is good. Just not nihilistic :D

Nihilistic philosophy has many different directions and approaches. It all comes down to the negation of commonly accepted sources of meaning or knowledge, such as existential, political, metaphysical, or epistemological. In my poetry, I've negated the claim to knowledge of the one true god and any authority invested in a written divine word. I've also expressed the endless path through mysteries that leads to the unknowable, ineffable reality of the Great Unknown. These are nihilistic elements, although I did mention there were other influences. My pantheism is only nihilistic, I'm not claiming total nihilism. That would be impossible. Perhaps I should come up with a different name all the same.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Nihilistic philosophy has many different directions and approaches. It all comes down to the negation of commonly accepted sources of meaning or knowledge, such as existential, political, metaphysical, or epistemological. In my poetry, I've negated the claim to knowledge of the one true god and any authority invested in a written divine word. I've also expressed the endless path through mysteries that leads to the unknowable, ineffable reality of the Great Unknown. These are nihilistic elements, although I did mention there were other influences. My pantheism is only nihilistic, I'm not claiming total nihilism. That would be impossible. Perhaps I should come up with a different name all the same.

Possibly. Again, like I said, its all semantics anyway, so what its called and what it refers to wont be the same either way I guess, but maybe for the sake of better expressing your belief to others and avoiding misunderstanding. But the misunderstanding could also provide an opportunity for you to explain it. It could go either way :shrug:

More power to ya.

no-body

As a pantheist everything has meaning, that meaning is being; life itself; the now. In theory you could be a pantheist anything.

But for myself those eastern thoughts you posted, they are not really nihilistic, they are mystical in nature. They only seem nihilistic on the surface.

Straw Dog

As a pantheist everything has meaning, that meaning is being; life itself; the now. In theory you could be a pantheist anything.

But for myself those eastern thoughts you posted, they are not really nihilistic, they are mystical in nature. They only seem nihilistic on the surface.

Hmm... perhaps you're right. Maybe it's just pantheistic poetry. I just had the idea that if everything is meaningful and sacred than that meant that nothing truly was, proving a nihilistic position of sorts and transcending the duality to begin with. I also thought "nihilistic pantheism" sounded cool lol. Oh well.

no-body

Hmm... perhaps you're right. Maybe it's just pantheistic poetry. I just had the idea that if everything is meaningful and sacred than that meant that nothing truly was,
In one sense that is true, there is a seed of both in each as in the ying yang, but true being goes beyond meaning or non meaning. To me, it means we are free to play the game (or not) of forms that life has taken.
proving a nihilistic position of sorts and transcending the duality to begin with. I also thought "nihilistic pantheism" sounded cool lol. Oh well.

I think if the phrase nihilism helps you on your path you should go with it. You will get where you are going eventually anyway.