• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nightmare Youtube

Erebus

There's a particular kind of Youtube video that I find endlessly fascinating. They're generally short, experimental videos that combine black comedy, surrealism and horror. They often seem intent in replicating the feeling of a nightmare with their bizarre logic and sudden violence.

It's hard to describe exactly what I'm talking about here so I'll list some examples:

Salad Fingers*
Don't hug me I'm scared
That's a nice grill
He took his skin off for me

I'm not going to link them since I'm not sure they'd be considered RF friendly (the last two definitely aren't!) but if you've seen any of them you know what I'm talking about.

Has anybody watched a video that felt like a bad dream?

*Actually pretty much anything by David Firth come to think of it.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a particular kind of Youtube video that I find endlessly fascinating. They're generally short, experimental videos that combine black comedy, surrealism and horror. They often seem intent in replicating the feeling of a nightmare with their bizarre logic and sudden violence.

It's hard to describe exactly what I'm talking about here so I'll list some examples:

Salad Fingers*
Don't hug me I'm scared
That's a nice grill
He took his skin off for me

I'm not going to link them since I'm not sure they'd be considered RF friendly (the last two definitely aren't!) but if you've seen any of them you know what I'm talking about.

Has anybody watched a video that felt like a bad dream?

*Actually pretty much anything by David Firth come to think of it.
I have not, but thanks for the introduction. Maybe it will give me some insight into what people are thinking lately.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
Oh, I love these. A few similar ones:

PilotRedSun
xploshi
surreal entertainment

They all feel like those horrible nightmares you get when you fall asleep with a high fever.

I used to struggle a lot with night terrors, so this bizarre, disturbing imagery has actually helped me face some of my fears. It got to the point where I was only having vivid nightmares, and now I usually only have pleasant dreams.

Erebus

Oh, I love these. A few similar ones:
PilotRedSun
xploshi
surreal entertainment

Thanks for introducing me to those! I love the distortion and "off" animations.

While it's not quite as surreal as those, I did enjoy the Cooking with Bill segments from Oats Studios. They gave me some Welcome to Night Vale vibes in that they're similar to our own reality but don't quite operate on the same rules.

They all feel like those horrible nightmares you get when you fall asleep with a high fever.

I used to struggle a lot with night terrors, so this bizarre, disturbing imagery has actually helped me face some of my fears. It got to the point where I was only having vivid nightmares, and now I usually only have pleasant dreams.

I've long felt that horror can actually be quite therapeutic as you can confront those fears from a position of safety.

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
While it's not quite as surreal as those, I did enjoy the Cooking with Bill segments from Oats Studios. They gave me some Welcome to Night Vale vibes in that they're similar to our own reality but don't quite operate on the same rules.

I'm definitely checking that one out.

I've long felt that horror can actually be quite therapeutic as you can confront those fears from a position of safety.

I agree! I think there's a lot to be said for not just horror, but extremely dark and tragic stories, too, and their ability to help us come to terms with that side of reality.

I like David Lynch's take on that concept, where he thinks that you need a lot of darkness in a work in order to make the light shine brighter. It's a duality that I think has to be faced.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
There was a production I found on youtube that you would like, but I am having trouble finding it again. It is a series of short cartoons about a mad scientist who captures mother nature and keeps her alive by feeding her people.

Some presents for you:

According to the enclosed video, Beksinsky (pronounced like Beck-shin-Skee) was influential in heavy metal art:

@Erebus

Erebus

There was a production I found on youtube that you would like, but I am having trouble finding it again. It is a series of short cartoons about a mad scientist who captures mother nature and keeps her alive by feeding her people.

Some presents for you:

According to the enclosed video, Beksinsky (pronounced like Beck-shin-Skee) was influential in heavy metal art:

@Erebus

I love Beksinski's artwork. Wayne Barlowe is another good nightmare artist.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I love Beksinski's artwork. Wayne Barlowe is another good nightmare artist.
Looking over some of his stuff it appears that he has influenced Hellboy.
Barlowe_-_Gods_Demon_cover.jpg
Compare that to Mike Magnolia's picture of Hellboy wearing the crown of fire. The similarity strikes me.

Erebus

Looking over some of his stuff it appears that he has influenced Hellboy.
Barlowe_-_Gods_Demon_cover.jpg
Compare that to Mike Magnolia's picture of Hellboy wearing the crown of fire. The similarity strikes me.

I know that Wayne Barlowe worked with Guillermo Del Toro as a concept artist for some of his films (including Hellboy) though I'm not familiar enough with the comic series itself to say which came first.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I know that Wayne Barlowe worked with Guillermo Del Toro as a concept artist for some of his films (including Hellboy) though I'm not familiar enough with the comic series itself to say which came first.
Hellboy is a comic series, not related to any of the typical ones. Its been around for 20+ years. It borrows from the Cthulu universe. Hellboy is half human and half the son of satan. He goes about working to save humankind, however he is prophesied to be the one who will bring the end of the world. His right hand, made of stone, can open the gate to awaken the Ogdru Jahad (giant time worms) and turn Earth into a hellscape. In the first volume of the comic he is captured and almost forced to bring the end. He helps humans because he has been adopted by a human and because he likes human candy and food. Besides stories about Cthulu he is borrowed from other cultural myths: His blood causes flowers to spring up, and he encounters figures like Baba Yaga. In the Hellboy universe we humans are a kind of horror to the rest of the universe, like an exception that all other creatures see as a problem.