1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nietzsche: the greatest philosopher who ever lived

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Hubert Farnsworth, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,686
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    How bizzare.

2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    That line has always deeply resonated within me, because I myself loathe and detest so much but have great passion towards a few things, and because I don't care much for settling when I know there is better.

• Like Like x 1
  3. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,414
    Religion:
    Atheist
    It sounded somewhat like you just called Nietzsche an internet troll, albeit one who could actually write...lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    I think it just depends on the day and my mood as to how I refer to Nietzsche. Some days his words are some of the best out there. On other days he's the Ubertroll who puts all internet trolls to shame.

5. shunyadragon

shunyadragon Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Religion:
    Baha'i Faith
    Careful how you quote Nietzsche. Let's see the citation to support the bold.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Religion:
    Something else
    I've tried to read Beyond Good and Evil a few times now. I can't say I've found the prose to be beautiful and life-affirming but I usually give up after a few pages, scratching my head and wondering if he's toying with the reader.

I recently found Stoicism through Massimo Pigliucci's twitter account (I know I'm really deep...) and it's definitely causing some sparks to fly in the old head-jelly.

7. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    I have not read Beyond Good and Evil yet, but I have read portions of it, and I believe it is less accessible to someone new to philosophy than some of his other books. I am finishing up the Genealogy of Morals, which will be my fourth work of his that I have read. I recommend reading either Twilight of the Idols or the Antichrist or the Genealogy of Morals, and then reading Zarathustra. I will likely be re-reading Zarathustra several times, as I found a large part of it to be extremely powerful and thought provoking, and worth reading again, and other parts to be incomprehensible, especially the poetry.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. The Anointed

The Anointed Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +153
    Religion:
    biblical believer
    Apparently you have never read the 'The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam' the King of the wise.

Oh thou, who didst with pitfall and with gin
    Beset the road I was to wander in,
    Though wilt not with evil round
    Enmesh, and then impute my fall to sin.

Oh thou, who man of baser earth didst make
    And even with paradise devise the snake:
    For all the sin wherewith the face of man
    Is blackened---MAN'S FORGIVENESS GIVE---AND TAKE.

9. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Nietzsche definitely does that. Though his later and final works are excluded due the onset of severe illness and considerably poorer quality (parts would be downright embarrassing for someone of his professional and academic status had he not succumbed to illness), calling him an Anti-Christ is somewhat accurate. Though he was concerned with society having a bad outcome given the death of god, at the center of his writings is a savage intellectual barrage that forces the reader to go on the defensive (especially so and triply so for the religious reader, especially Christians). But, in the end, throughout his collective works he show a more humorous side, a way of being playful with words, and a bombardment that you can't always be serious, and nor should you.
    And like a switch his prose that shower praise can turn into a scathing rain of acid, so the reader is definitely kept on alert. Especially considering if you agree with his criticisms, just give it time (or pages, rather) and eventually his scopes will get to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +862
    Nietzche's philosophy was just a psychological reaction to Christianity, which he put under the domain of 'slave morality'.

I don't consider him the greatest philosopher ever, though his writings may have provided some relief to people looking for a philosophical framework in life that promoted a vigorous outlook rather than a defeatist one.

Nietzche was not enlightened, and did not properly comprehend enlightenment, as he had not travelled to the east or met enlightened masters.

I consider Nisargadatta Maharaj an enlightened master and superior philosopher to Nietzche.

#30 ajay0, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  11. KelseyR

KelseyR The eternal optimist!

Ratings:
    +36
    Religion:
    Withheld

12. KelseyR

KelseyR The eternal optimist!

Ratings:
    +36
    Religion:
    Withheld
    I give Nietzsche two thumbs down for his thoughts on the 'eternal return'. He did resurrect ancient understanding on the matter, which is consistent with the age of enlightenment- yet what he says is overly verbose and highly misleading drivel.

The modern understanding of 'recurrence' is radically different. Did Nietzsche instigate all of these improvements? This is perhaps arguable, but the fact of the matter is that his lack of expertise coupled to his deplorable lifestyle greatly disservices the investigation. All people can talk about- even today, is what that idiot Nietzsche said hundreds of years ago.

#32 KelseyR, May 11, 2019
    Last edited: May 11, 2019
  13. whirlingmerc

whirlingmerc Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +567
    Religion:
    Christian

Since Nietzsche was part of the inspiration for the still of WWII I hardly would call him the greatest philosopher who ever lived.

14. Hubert Farnsworth

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Many of his works are humorous, such as portions of Ecce Homo in which he entitles the chapters "Why I am So Wise", "Why I am so Clever", "Why I Write Such Excellent Books", etc. He certainly did become a bit of a megalomaniac in his later years, when he described his writing as "soaring above" the writings of other authors, and stating that his books are the greatest gifts to mankind. However, he may not be incorrect. I believe that many of his works are some of the greatest gifts to mankind because of their rich content. There are often many hidden, yet profound ideas in his works that are subtle and difficult to discover.

15. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +15,947
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Nietzsche's later works also feature **** poor quality of work, such as when he erroneously claimed Christians as filthy for apparently not bathing in Europe after they closed the public bathhouses. They also tend to go off on tangents and aren't as solid as his pre-illness works. Im just glad the Will to Power isnt really considered canon or his.

16. Hubert Farnsworth

Ratings:
    +1,529
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Ahh, yes I recall reading the claim about not bathing. I laughed at that one. In the AntiChrist, he also claims that the entire New Testament is useless garbage except for Pilate's line "What is truth?" I tend to disagree with this as well. Nevertheless, he still makes many valid points, even in his later works.