• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nick Cave labels ‘cancel culture’ as “mercy’s antithesis”

Tambourine

No. The only time I support curtailing freedom of speech is when the speech calls for violence and discrimination.
Then why did you argue that the allegiations were supposedly false? It was clearly irrelevant to you whether they were.

The point is I refuse to give money to an organization that promotes an agenda that strives to do damage to the LGBT community.
And what this organization says about LGBT people is irrelevant to you?
It stiffles a free and open society to dilence things. And don't forget this isn't just people unsubscribing. These people have been merciless in refusing to accept apologies and stopping nothing short of seeing someone's career ended and their lives wrecked. Which is itself a form of violence. And often times they aren't bad people. Some of them just make a boneheaded mistake, but the cancel culture won't accept that, and much like a Southern Baptist who sees the devil everywhere,the Cancelers don't stop until they've achieved the goals of their own Inquisition.
Am I being silenced when everyone refuses to pay attention to what I say? Is violence done to me if people refuse to listen to what I say, and encourage others to do likewise? Am I entitled to an audience?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Then why did you argue that the allegiations were supposedly false? It was clearly irrelevant to you whether they were.
Theu arent supposedly false because they are false. And its important to mention it, becaise he was canceled over lies that festered in an echo chamber where any criticism of Islam is strictly prohibited (but blaspheme against Christianity all day and its OK). It's hypocritical, it stiffles a free exchange of ideas, and it helps take pressure off extremist Muslims while forsaking liberal and progressive Muslims.
And what this organization says about LGBT people is irrelevant to you?
If it was irrelevant I'd probably eat there. But they give money from their profits straight to anti-lgbt groups, so I don't get anything from them so my money doesn't shoot me in the foot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Am I being silenced when everyone refuses to pay attention to what I say? Is violence done to me if people refuse to listen to what I say, and encourage others to do likewise? Am I entitled to an audience?
You aren't entitled to an audience. But you are entitled to learn from mistakes, and to have a sincere apology accepted, you are entitled to let your past remain in your past. Cancelers do and have denied people these things. You are also entitled to not have your life recked and career ended iver trivial crap that doesn't really matter, and definitely nit for things you did years and decades ago that you don't do anymore.

Tambourine

Theu arent supposedly false because they are false. And its important to mention it, becaise he was canceled over lies that festered in an echo chamber where any criticism of Islam is strictly prohibited (but blaspheme against Christianity all day and its OK). It's hypocritical, it stiffles a free exchange of ideas, and it helps take pressure off extremist Muslims while forsaking liberal and progressive Muslims.
You just responded that whether it was lies or truth wouldn't matter, you'd oppose cancelling Maher's paid gig either way. So it really doesn't matter what he said or why.

If it was irrelevant I'd probably eat there. But they give money from their profits straight to anti-lgbt groups, so I don't get anything from them so my money doesn't shoot me in the foot.
Can you explain to me in what way this is fundamentally different from cancelling that organization?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
And yet your opening post concerned a musician from Australia.

Last time I checked, that's not the United States.

Nick Cave lives in the US, having previously lived in England and Germany, probably amongst other places.

I'm working off the top of my head here, so might be a little off.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Manny is worth millions. Literally. I’m sure he’ll be fine.
Speaking of harassment campaigns, ever hear of dislike bombing?
Ever see a video be randomly invaded by 4Chan trolls?
Because I’ve been seeing that for years now.
I do agree that there is a toxic witch hunt element to so called “cancel culture” and there are instances where it goes to far. Certainly.
But man next to the atrocious toxic harassment campaigns, death threats, doxing and “Swatting” I’ve witnessed, it’s actually not that bad. Well maybe on Twitter, but that platform is toxic anyway

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Can you explain to me in what way this is fundamentally different from cancelling that organization?
I am not harassing anyone over it, amd they stop donating to anti-LGBT groups, they apologize for the harm they did, I have no more reason to boycott and won't keep digging at it.

Tambourine

I am not harassing anyone over it, amd they stop donating to anti-LGBT groups, they apologize for the harm they did, I have no more reason to boycott and won't keep digging at it.
But your goal here is to silence anti-LGBT speech, isn't it?

Do you think it is wrong to boycott and cancel JK Rowling over her transphobic Twitter messages?

Last edited: