• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nick Cave labels ‘cancel culture’ as “mercy’s antithesis”

Cooky

Veteran Member
I think to me it sticks out like a sore thumb because I was an Evangelical, and reading PC/SJW literature I see the same "amazing grace, where ince I was lost now I see," amd lots and lotd amd lots of shaming and being guitly just for existing. Hence why I will sometimes refer to them as the Evangelical Left.

I can see that too. It seems to also have undertones of something like an "original sin" if you will. The parallels kind of give me the chills.

It literally does seem to embody all the worst aspects that religion has to offer.

Last edited:

Tambourine

I think to me it sticks out like a sore thumb because I was an Evangelical, and reading PC/SJW literature I see the same "amazing grace, where ince I was lost now I see," amd lots and lotd amd lots of shaming and being guitly just for existing. Hence why I will sometimes refer to them as the Evangelical Left.
Those are likely White people writing about themselves. But hey, if you instead of trying to understand where they're coming from, you need them to be an easily-designated group for you to despise, that's cool I guess.

Tambourine

I can see that too. It seems to also have undertones of something like an "original sin" if you will. The parallels kind of give me the chills.

It literally does seem to embody all the worst aspects that religion has to offer.
It is evil and bad, and wrong. Evilbadwrong, if you will. Ebadong.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Those are likely White people writing about themselves. But hey, if you instead of trying to understand where they're coming from, you need them to be an easily-designated group for you to despise, that's cool I guess.
Mostly white with some black. And there isn't much to understand, PC/SJW frequently use shoddy logic (the sort that even elementary/primary school says is wrong and teaches against before "logic" is introduced as a formal subject) to promote their version of Original Sin that everyone (white people in this case) is guilty of. And thats with race.
When it comes to sexuality, they too are just as anti-human as Evangelicals. They erroneously claim looks don't matter, and they believe it wrong to say a woman is beautiful. They are fashion police, thought police, word police, and social police. And, yes, I assume they are writing abkut thenselves, especially the white ones, when they complain about all white people being racist and not associating with ethnic minorities enough, but yet they themselves are a basically a racially homogeneous group overall, a sea of white like a Klan meeting. (And don't get me started on their claim that white like having dogs because it reminds them of slavery)

Tambourine

And by "PC/SJW" you mean some different category of person that either of us - some inscrutable, alien Other that does not participate in discussions here. Yea, those people are the worst, and are definitely unlike any correct-good-logical person with correct-good-logical ideas. Those people are so unlike us, we might as well not treat them as people.

(And don't get me started on their claim that white like having dogs because it reminds them of slavery)
Of course, the craziest sounding person in a group is always representative of a whole group they claim to belong to, especially when that group label has been applied by their most outspoken enemies. Like for example, a single trans woman who happened to also been outed as a potential pedophile is absolutely representative of the entire category of trans people, globally.

Needless to say, I very strongly disagree with both of these ideas.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course, the craziest sounding person in a group is always representative of a whole group they claim to belong to,
I have given plenty examples asides from that one.
And by "PC/SJW" you mean some different category of person that either of us - some inscrutable, alien Other that does not participate in discussions here. Yea, those people are the worst, and are definitely unlike any correct-good-logical person with correct-good-logical ideas. Those people are so unlike us, we might as well not treat them as people.
And yet those are the sorts who get into cancel culture.

Tambourine

Your cancel culture is the same as being excommunicated... another religious parallel... Amazing.
Again, there is no such thing as a 'cancel culture'.

There is, however, a politically correct campaign driven by right wing and centrist moralists who seek to silence minority and marginal voices on the Internet by painting them as some kind of dangerous mob.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Again, there is no such thing as a 'cancel culture'.

There is, however, a politically correct campaign driven by right wing and centrist moralists who seek to silence minority and marginal voices on the Internet by painting them as some kind of dangerous mob.

Nope. Over a hundred prominant center to left thinkers have written an open letter denouncing cancel culture. Bill Mahr hates it, and so do many progressive liberal journalists. So does Nick Cave. So do some liberal posters here.

...It's becoming unpopular, and too much like a bad religion.

Tambourine

Nope. Over a hundred prominant center to left thinkers have written an open letter denouncing cancel culture.
You mean wealthy authors with anti-minority beliefs, such as JK Rowling, coming out in opposition to political tactics such as boycotting or public call outs.

So what you characterize as denouncements of 'cancel culture' are attempts to publically ostracize people who engage in legitimate political tactics such as boycots - in other words, to 'cancel' them.

Bill Mahr hates it, and so do many progressive liberal journalists. So does Nick Cave. So do some liberal posters here.
I have no idea who this Bill Mahr is, and I don't consider Nick Cave to have particularly sharp insight into internet culture.

Cooky

Veteran Member
You mean wealthy authors with anti-minority beliefs, such as JK Rowling, coming out in opposition to political tactics such as boycotting or public call outs.

So what you characterize as denouncements of 'cancel culture' are attempts to publically ostracize people who engage in legitimate political tactics such as boycots - in other words, to 'cancel' them.

I have no idea who this Bill Mahr is, and I don't consider Nick Cave to have particularly sharp insight into internet culture.

You don't know Bill Mahr?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Cancelling is not a 'culture', it's a community policing tactic.
Its the term we use, it's understood. And it is a sub culture, and it's known for having an especially large presence on social media. (For those, anyways. As has been pointed out it happens in real life as well and conservatives have indulged).

Tambourine

Its the term we use, it's understood. And it is a sub culture, and it's known for having an especially large presence on social media. (For those, anyways. As has been pointed out it happens in real life as well and conservatives have indulged).
Calling it a 'culture' does not make it so. Calling it a 'religion' does not make it so.

We are not Humpty Dumpty. Words have meaning, and you have not shown that your words match theirs.

Tambourine

You don't know Bill Mahr?

The video you linked calls him Bill Maher. Maybe that was the source of my confusion.
He doesn't look like somebody whose opinions I'd care about too much.

Is this going to be the extent of your response or do you want to address any of the points I made?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Calling it a 'culture' does not make it so. Calling it a 'religion' does not make it so.

We are not Humpty Dumpty. Words have meaning, and you have not shown that your words match theirs.
I have given nunerous examples of cancel culture here. I have been discussing how it is alarmingly similar to Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity. And as for the online piranhas who demand humiliation, silence, and ended careers, that is a subculture.

Tambourine

I have given nunerous examples of cancel culture here. I have been discussing how it is alarmingly similar to Fundamentalist Evangelical Christianity. And as for the online piranhas who demand humiliation, silence, and ended careers, that is a subculture.
You gave examples of people being cancelled. That does not make it a 'culture'. And your assertion that people who call for boycotts are the leftist version of fundamentalist Christians is just that, an assertion without supporting argument or evidence.

Calling for boycotts is a legitimate political tactic. Refusing to interact with people seen as toxic is a legitimate form of community policing. You falling into a moral panic over it does not delegitimize these methods.