• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL won't let churches show Superbowl

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Booko said:
OK, so let me see if I have this right.

A church can't show a Superbowl game to their congregation on a big screen teevee, but it's still ok for BARS to show the Superbowl game to patrons the same way?

Apparently it isn't okay to watch sports unless you're willing to hang out in bars and get sloshed. So...where do I bring the kids? :confused:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2006/02/01/bc.fbn.superbowl.church.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

I believe the actual problem is the little known, "wall of separation between church and sports". Most people think it is actually in the constitution but it really comes from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptist little league football association. Years later, the private sports league favoring Marshall Supreme Court found the letter to be "in vogue" and it has been law ever since. Numerous church groups have taken their cases to the supreme court but to no avail.

See:

George Halas v. Valley View Baptist church

Little Church on the Prarie v. Bart Starr

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't support this view, but from what I heard on the news is it's ok for a bar to show the game because they have paying customers. A church can't show it because it makes it harder to track how many people actually watched it.
However, they never said it was illegal to throw a personal Super Bowl party, which would also have the same effects on ratings.

Radio Frequency X

World Leader Pretend

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
My question is: who would go to a church to watch the Superbowl? :D

"Oh Jesus, Chicago just got destroyed!"
"Herm."
"Sorry, father. I meant Jeeze."
"Very good."

astarath

i know my church holds a superbowl sunday bash sans booze so everyone can bring their families together for a fun safe time.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Luke Wolf said:
I don't support this view, but from what I heard on the news is it's ok for a bar to show the game because they have paying customers...
Not quite. You know those packages cable and satellite TV provide with all the out of market games? Bars pay a surcharge that allows them to publicly show the games, so when it comes to the Super Bowl, the bars have already paid the NFL, while the churches and other groups have paid nothing.

Granted the NFL and other sports groups cannot stop every public viewing, but they have done so in the past when they find out about it. It is a real shame that this church was trying to provide a fun & family safe environment for home town fans to watch the Super Bowl and the big bad NFL over reacted the way they did. :(

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Separation of church and sports: Bwahahahahaha! Too funny!

Look at the bright side: at least you won't miss seeing the Gators play. :D Except for Rex Grossman. :D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I just wonder why the NFL decided to nitpick churches, when the small, personal parties would have much more people overall than a church would watching it.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Luke Wolf said:
I just wonder why the NFL decided to nitpick churches...
Publicity and advertising. The NFL will go after whomever they find out about. This church had it on their website and used 'Super Bowl' in violation of the NFL's copyright to the name.

You know how other places refer to it as 'The Big Game'.;) That's not to be funny...it's to keep from getting sued.:eek:

cardero

Citizen Mod
comprehend said:
I believe the actual problem is the little known, "wall of separation between church and sports". Most people think it is actually in the constitution but it really comes from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptist little league football association.

If only people realized how much of a sports fan GOD really is.

Dr. Nosophoros

If that is what it truly is like then I'd say if you want to watch it in church make sure the congregation understands there is a "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Mind over matter- if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Booko said:
OK, so let me see if I have this right.

A church can't show a Superbowl game to their congregation on a big screen teevee, but it's still ok for BARS to show the Superbowl game to patrons the same way?

Apparently it isn't okay to watch sports unless you're willing to hang out in bars and get sloshed. So...where do I bring the kids? :confused:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2006/02/01/bc.fbn.superbowl.church.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Bars sell beer, beer companies support the NFL... that's all I can come up with. :shrug:

A

angellous_evangellous

I wonder what groups the NFL defines as a "church." If they follow the definition of Polycarp, no Christian bishop can watch it with anyone else.

PureX

Veteran Member
The Super Bowl s going to be broadcast through the airwaves for any TV to pick up. There is no way on this planet that anyone could successfully prosecute a church or anyone else for watching a public broadcast on their own TV.

This is just another example of a lot of noise about absolutely nothing.

If a church or a bar wants to re-present it on a large screen, for money, then copywrite laws become an issue. And the people who own those rights get to decide who they will share them with, and for how much. Being that the people who own those rights are in VERY CLOSE BUSINESS ASSOCIATION with alcoholic beverage companies, I could see why they would not wish to allow a church to use their copywrited broadcast to DIScourage the consumption of alcohol.

But all of this is moot, since all the church has to do is bring in a half dozen 55" TVs and set them around the room so everyone can see at least one of them, and they can have their party regardless.

A

angellous_evangellous

The Pope could always strike back by ordering Catholic players in the NFL not to play on Sundays and deny all coaches and fans the sacraments.

The Southern Baptists could boycott all things NFL.

The Mormons could cease all investments in alcoholc beverages.

Let's work together, people!

Booko

Deviled Hen
Radio Frequency X said:
You know it is more complex than that.
Actually, I'm not a sports fan, so explain it to me.

A teevee is a teevee is a teevee. If they put it out on the public airwaves, I fail to see how the NFL has anything to say about who watches on what technology in what climate, unless someone is abusing their trademark or selling DVDs or something of that sort.

And frankly, I can see no difference between a bar using the Superbowl to attract business and a church using the same to attract their sort of "business".

Frankly, it offends the libertarian side of me.

Booko

Deviled Hen
angellous_evangellous said:
I wonder what groups the NFL defines as a "church." If they follow the definition of Polycarp, no Christian bishop can watch it with anyone else.

Oh, good point! :biglaugh:

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
angellous_evangellous said:
The Pope could always strike back by ordering Catholic players in the NFL not to play on Sundays and deny all coaches and fans the sacraments.

The Southern Baptists could boycott all things NFL.

The Mormons could cease all investments in alcoholc beverages.

Let's work together, people!

Religion or football. That's a tough choice for Americans to make! :D