• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newcomer - Teach me :)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi people,

I am new here. I live in Germany, I am 18 years old and I am studying Computer Science in university.

I was born a Muslim, but I don't believe in Allah (EDIT: Islam) . However, I believe in God.

I hope, that I can learn a lot of things here :)

Welcome.

Here's some food for thought:

"...these foundations of the Religion of God, which are spiritual and which are the virtues of humanity, cannot be abrogated; they are irremovable and eternal, and are renewed in the cycle of every Prophet."

"God hath ordained that in every age and dispensation a pure and stainless Soul be made manifest in the kingdoms of earth and heaven." Baha'i writings

Best Wishes

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi people,

I am new here. I live in Germany, I am 18 years old and I am studying Computer Science in university.

I was born a Muslim, but I don't believe in Allah (EDIT: Islam) . However, I believe in God.

Dear Thinking;

I hope you are deeply compassionate and hate the evil things that happen in this world. I hope that you hate violence, illness and cruelty. I hope you love all people. (No one loves everyone fully, but we can love everyone sometimes.)

Sometimes love feels natural, but it is beyond natural to love everyone including strangers. It is beyond natural to turn enemies into friends. It is where a person joins eternity that is greater than us when we imitate that which is eternal. This is the 'Place' where we meet something eternal, although it is not literally a place. If you would meet God, loving people is the place to meet. People will disappoint you and will offend you and criticize you. People may behave like animals. Loving them is beyond human. It is super-human, Godly. Visit orphans and provide for people who can do nothing for you. Then you are meeting God. You are something special then. Do not only care for your family, your loved ones. Everyone does that. God does more.

Love, something we do, is the thing we have in common with the eternal. It is the glimpse we have of God, although we cannot see God. Love which is so difficult to sustain and which is such a small part of us, it is what matters. The rest does not, and it rots one way or another. Throw away bitterness, revenge and anger if you can.

Suppose you are held at gunpoint, and you are going to be shot. Do you love or do you not? That is all that matters. If you are shot or not, it does not really matter. You are going to die anyway. We all die, but it does not matter if we die. What matters is what is eternal. That will never rot. Love everyone, and help everyone. The bullet is nothing.

There is another way to think of this, and it is where the atheist becomes the theist. Look at our terrible situation. We die, and a new generation must reproduce our mistakes and die. Everything evil and painful and bad starts over again. All that survives are seeds. The strongest and best person is destroyed, and their intelligence and strength disappears. Nothing is left but a child, and that child may be a fool or a weakling. What can we make that will last? Nothing? Everything rots, or falls apart. There is nothing that survives. What then can we hope for the future generations that we care for (or that I hope you and I both care for)? Will they make the same stupid mistakes? Will there be rape and violence? Will only a few be happy and thrive at the expense of unhappy millions? Will life always be a cycle of suffering? If you hope not, and if you do not like this idea then you have briefly joined with God's own will and spirit. You have chosen eternity over the temporal and become a believer. Congratulations!

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Hi people,

Hey there and what do you want to learn about?

Reggie Miller

Hi people,

Hello and welcome.

Would you please elaborate? Why do you not believe in Allah but you do believe in God? To you, what is the difference? It does not matter what others say is the difference, but what do you think it is?

DawudTalut

Peace be upon you.
Peace be on you. Welcome. You said "
Newcomer - Teach me :)"..I would say ahmadiyya.de is place for you...Danke

Thinking

Dear Thinking;

I hope you are deeply compassionate and hate the evil things that happen in this world. I hope that you hate violence, illness and cruelty. I hope you love all people. (No one loves everyone fully, but we can love everyone sometimes.)

Sometimes love feels natural, but it is beyond natural to love everyone including strangers. It is beyond natural to turn enemies into friends. It is where a person joins eternity that is greater than us when we imitate that which is eternal. This is the 'Place' where we meet something eternal, although it is not literally a place. If you would meet God, loving people is the place to meet. People will disappoint you and will offend you and criticize you. People may behave like animals. Loving them is beyond human. It is super-human, Godly. Visit orphans and provide for people who can do nothing for you. Then you are meeting God. You are something special then. Do not only care for your family, your loved ones. Everyone does that. God does more.

Love, something we do, is the thing we have in common with the eternal. It is the glimpse we have of God, although we cannot see God. Love which is so difficult to sustain and which is such a small part of us, it is what matters. The rest does not, and it rots one way or another. Throw away bitterness, revenge and anger if you can.

Suppose you are held at gunpoint, and you are going to be shot. Do you love or do you not? That is all that matters. If you are shot or not, it does not really matter. You are going to die anyway. We all die, but it does not matter if we die. What matters is what is eternal. That will never rot. Love everyone, and help everyone. The bullet is nothing.

There is another way to think of this, and it is where the atheist becomes the theist. Look at our terrible situation. We die, and a new generation must reproduce our mistakes and die. Everything evil and painful and bad starts over again. All that survives are seeds. The strongest and best person is destroyed, and their intelligence and strength disappears. Nothing is left but a child, and that child may be a fool or a weakling. What can we make that will last? Nothing? Everything rots, or falls apart. There is nothing that survives. What then can we hope for the future generations that we care for (or that I hope you and I both care for)? Will they make the same stupid mistakes? Will there be rape and violence? Will only a few be happy and thrive at the expense of unhappy millions? Will life always be a cycle of suffering? If you hope not, and if you do not like this idea then you have briefly joined with God's own will and spirit. You have chosen eternity over the temporal and become a believer. Congratulations!

I agree with most of your statements. Nowadays, love only seems to be natural towards your own family. It is most likely not possible to be compassionate towards every human being in the world. Due to the fact that people are prejudiced and always represent their own opinion, which is subjective, they will never be able to have this "super-human, godly" power to love people, who are not even useful for them. There was also a quote I have heard of recently. It was something like this "The character of a man is, how he treats people, who can't do anything for them."

I hope that life won't always be a cycle of suffering, even though - right now - it would be an Utopia to think about a world, in which everything is just. People say, that "Nothing can come from nothing." But is that really true? I think that our existence can already be seen as a counterproof of this statement, because we do exist.

However, I don't like the fact that God let's innocent people suffer. It's kind of contradicting, because God should love everyone and everything, yet countless innocent people suffer. Is it bad to judge God, because of sorrow? Or does God want us, too extiniguish all hatred in the world and spread love?

Hey there and what do you want to learn about?

I want to learn more about religions and how people think about their religion and this world (e.g. our existence, destiny, karma, sorrow, nothingsness). But don't worry, I still have plenty of time to ask about this - I will ask my questions, when the context fits into it, since this is only an introduction thread :)

Hello and welcome.

Would you please elaborate? Why do you not believe in Allah but you do believe in God? To you, what is the difference? It does not matter what others say is the difference, but what do you think it is?

For me, God is merciful and compassionate - something that does not disadvantage people because of the way they think. When I read the Qur'an, it taught me a lot of good things, but I stopped believing because there are too many logical inconsistencies.

If you think only Muslims will go to Jannah, and all non-Muslim will go to hell, then this argument is inherently flawed. As an example, do you really think a person like Bill Gates, someone who has saved millions of lives, will go to hell just for being a non-Muslim?

If you think some non-Muslims will also go to heaven, just for being good and moral human beings, then why not do that instead of wasting your time on arguments about what is right and what is wrong in Islam, in addition to the other actions that contribute nothing to the overall well-being of a society such as daily prayers and recitation of Quran in Arabic that you don’t even understand.

Lastly, there are so many sects in Islams, and almost all of them consider members of other sects as kafirs. What has led to so many divisions?

Wasn’t Quran supposed to be a book that is “The Guidance for All Mankind”? Then why is it written in words so difficult that they are beyond the comprehension of normal people and even majority of the so called scholars. Literally no one understands it properly with everyone having their own interpretation of it’s words. That's why I thought that for now I should just try being a good human being. I never could figure out why Allah created all carbon-based life just so that he could roast them in hell-fire if they did not live according to his wishes. That reasoning does not make sense as it does not explain the whole purpose of life or this world.

I am sorry for being a bit mad, but I think anyone would be, if they realized, that they've lived a lie for 18 years. Maybe the way I think is wrong, but I still hope that God won't punish me for rational thinking.

rusra02

Premium Member
Hi people,

Welcome. Finding the true God is most important, IMO. The Bible says that "he [God] is not far off from each one of us. For by him we have life and move and exist." (Acts 17:27,28)

Reggie Miller

I agree with most of your statements. Nowadays, love only seems to be natural towards your own family. It is most likely not possible to be compassionate towards every human being in the world. Due to the fact that people are prejudiced and always represent their own opinion, which is subjective, they will never be able to have this "super-human, godly" power to love people, who are not even useful for them. There was also a quote I have heard of recently. It was something like this "The character of a man is, how he treats people, who can't do anything for them."

I hope that life won't always be a cycle of suffering, even though - right now - it would be an Utopia to think about a world, in which everything is just. People say, that "Nothing can come from nothing." But is that really true? I think that our existence can already be seen as a counterproof of this statement, because we do exist.

However, I don't like the fact that God let's innocent people suffer. It's kind of contradicting, because God should love everyone and everything, yet countless innocent people suffer. Is it bad to judge God, because of sorrow? Or does God want us, too extiniguish all hatred in the world and spread love?

I want to learn more about religions and how people think about their religion and this world (e.g. our existence, destiny, karma, sorrow, nothingsness). But don't worry, I still have plenty of time to ask about this - I will ask my questions, when the context fits into it, since this is only an introduction thread :)

For me, God is merciful and compassionate - something that does not disadvantage people because of the way they think. When I read the Qur'an, it taught me a lot of good things, but I stopped believing because there are too many logical inconsistencies.

If you think only Muslims will go to Jannah, and all non-Muslim will go to hell, then this argument is inherently flawed. As an example, do you really think a person like Bill Gates, someone who has saved millions of lives, will go to hell just for being a non-Muslim?

If you think some non-Muslims will also go to heaven, just for being good and moral human beings, then why not do that instead of wasting your time on arguments about what is right and what is wrong in Islam, in addition to the other actions that contribute nothing to the overall well-being of a society such as daily prayers and recitation of Quran in Arabic that you don’t even understand.

Lastly, there are so many sects in Islams, and almost all of them consider members of other sects as kafirs. What has led to so many divisions?

Wasn’t Quran supposed to be a book that is “The Guidance for All Mankind”? Then why is it written in words so difficult that they are beyond the comprehension of normal people and even majority of the so called scholars. Literally no one understands it properly with everyone having their own interpretation of it’s words. That's why I thought that for now I should just try being a good human being. I never could figure out why Allah created all carbon-based life just so that he could roast them in hell-fire if they did not live according to his wishes. That reasoning does not make sense as it does not explain the whole purpose of life or this world.

I am sorry for being a bit mad, but I think anyone would be, if they realized, that they've lived a lie for 18 years. Maybe the way I think is wrong, but I still hope that God won't punish me for rational thinking.

That is a very detailed answer. Thank you.

Please read the book of John. Then I would recommend the entire New Testament. You will know God after you read John and the rest of the New Testament will fill in all of the details not made clear in John.

God bless you.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You can care about people far from you, but it is a more solid love and less emotional. You also should have the ability to care about people in the past and future.

Yes it is terrible to imagine things never improving. That is what I wanted to point out. Terrible suffering awaits people in the future, just as has happened in the past. As always children will be born knowing nothing, never understanding their own suffering, and people will die frustrated and confused full of loss. It is not right! Its wrong, so very wrong. Most people, like me, are able to empathize with future and past people.

You live in Egypt, so you have access to lots of information about the Pharoahs. They claimed to be gods, and for thousands of years they spread the religion of war and pillaging. God did not stop them from doing this. For ages and ages they reigned in hate. Their disease spread everywhere that they had influence. It spread to Greece, to Europe, to Babylon and everywhere; making everything worse. They created many beautiful buildings and lived posh, pointless lives. We should avoid following their example.

I cannot tell you why God did not stop them. I can tell you that they did not represent our best path forward. They held back improvements. If people around them started to become wealthy or happy, they would attack to keep all people oppressed and weak. They felt threatened by any strength apart from their own.

Deidre

So, you don't follow the path of Islam as being necessary to ''finding God?'' Is that what you meant?

Oh, and welcome :)

Luciferi Baphomet

Lucifer, is my Liberator
Ask me whatever you want. :)

Thinking

I appreciate all your welcome greetings. Thank you very much :)

That is a very detailed answer. Thank you.

Please read the book of John. Then I would recommend the entire New Testament. You will know God after you read John and the rest of the New Testament will fill in all of the details not made clear in John.

God bless you.

Can you send me a link of the testament (f. ex. from Amazon)? I might look into it.

So, you don't follow the path of Islam as being necessary to ''finding God?'' Is that what you meant?

Oh, and welcome :)

It's also a part of what I meant, right now I think it's not necessary worshipping and praying 5 times Allah - only to show - how you think about God. God can only be found, if I let myself fully opened for any other religion. I try not to be prejudiced, rather I am trying to collect information about how different people think about their religion. I also have to say, that it was essential, to get to know Islam as a religion. I am still unexperienced, since only reading the Qur'an and translations (english and german) were certainly not enough to understand what the thoughts
of Islam really are. Basically my current state is a path, in which i slowly try to get to know the religions existing in this world. As I am a student right now, I don't have plenty of time to invest my time only into religion, but I try my best to balance my time. I wanted to study philosophy first, but you can't earn any money from it which resulted in me studying computer science. Therefore, I need to consider myself satisfied with what I have. It's already fascinating to see, that we live in the 21st century, while having all kind of technology around us, right? I wonder how people thought about religions back then, because they were usually surrounded by people who were following their own religion. They could most likely only learn about religions by reading books, without changing opinions.

Ask me whatever you want. :)

I appreciate your help :)
I will - in future.