• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newcomer - Teach me :)

Thinking

Hi people,

I am new here. I live in Germany, I am 18 years old and I am studying Computer Science in university.

I was born a Muslim, but I don't believe in Allah (EDIT: Islam) . However, I believe in God.

I hope, that I can learn a lot of things here :)

Last edited:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Welcome, Thinking.

Isn't Allah just Arabic for God?
Gott, Dieu, Dios --- Same?

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
I know what it means, but I think that the word "Allah" is based on Islam as religion, while the name "God" itself isn't.
Allah is literally just the Arabic word for God. It's no different than you using 'Gott' or a Frenchman using 'Diue'.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi people,

I am new here. I live in Germany, I am 18 years old and I am studying Computer Science in university.

I was born a Muslim, but I don't believe in Allah (EDIT: Islam) . However, I believe in God.

I hope, that I can learn a lot of things here :)
What do you wish to know?
I am PhD, currently doing research in US (postdoctorate) in chemistry. I come originally from India. I would consider myself to be belonging to rationalist strands of Hinduism with good knowledge of Hinduism, Buddhism, atheism and some amount of knowledge about Christianity. (Also science obviously). So if anything regarding any of this interests you, feel free to ask.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Greetings!

Join us for the afternoon snack....
NEW-FARM---cherry-strudel-2-copy.jpg

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ok, my mistake then. I edited the post :)

You don't have to change your post. It is just confusing until you described it above because most of us see Allah as an Arabic word without associating it as part of the religion itself. Studying culture and language at the moment, what you said makes more sense.

If you are saying this from a linguistic point of view, it doesn't make sense:

"I don't believe in Allah, but I do believe in God"

One because Allah and God mean the same thing.

You can also see it from another perspective: G-od with an upper G mostly in the US (where are you from?) means the Christian god. So that may confuse people too.

But you put some context to it; so, I wouldn't fret.

You could say "I don't believe in Allah [creator defined by the Islamic religion] but I do believe in a creator (since in many places God means Christian God).

But I'm pulling hairs. You believe in a creator not Allah.

Welcome to RF!

You'll get a lot of people pulling your hair. Don't take it personal. That's my advice.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
bah. French can take a running jump off a cliff. Not the worst language, but nowhere near a favorite either.
I love your pride and arrogance Nietzsche! I don't think I could ever imagine you admitting your wrong or demonstrating humility :)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Allah is literally just the Arabic word for God. It's no different than you using 'Gott' or a Frenchman using 'Diue'.
Except that "Allah" is God for the people who are Muslim Jesus is God for people who are for the New Testament and G-d is God for the Jews. You know that!.