• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newark, New Jersey signs sister city agreement with a place that doesn't exist

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The City of Newark, New Jersey signed a sister city agreement with the United States of Kailasa. But there is no such country as Kailasa.

Newark Fooled in Sister City Scam - A Quick Search Could Have Prevented This

:rolleyes:

The article kept saying they should have done a Google search, several times, almost like this is some kind of advertisement for Google. (They probably could have gotten similar results from Duck Duck Go.)

But even then, I can't believe that they'd have to rely on an internet search anyway. Or that it would be that easy to become a sister city. What, does somebody just show up at city hall and say "I'm from another city and we want to be sister cities"? Setting aside doing an internet search as to whether or not the city exists, don't they have to do some checking to verify if someone has the credentials and authority to enter into such an arrangement? Do they just take someone's word for it, even if the place does exist?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
S
The article kept saying they should have done a Google search, several times, almost like this is some kind of advertisement for Google. (They probably could have gotten similar results from Duck Duck Go.)

But even then, I can't believe that they'd have to rely on an internet search anyway. Or that it would be that easy to become a sister city. What, does somebody just show up at city hall and say "I'm from another city and we want to be sister cities"? Setting aside doing an internet search as to whether or not the city exists, don't they have to do some checking to verify if someone has the credentials and authority to enter into such an arrangement? Do they just take someone's word for it, even if the place does exist?
O ye of little faith! Sign the agreement and the country shall be founded and the sister city raised!

Just consider the example of my city's minor league baseball team, appropriated right out of an episode of The Simpsons. :smirk:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
S

O ye of little faith! Sign the agreement and the country shall be founded and the sister city raised!

Just consider the example of my city's minor league baseball team, appropriated right out of an episode of The Simpsons. :smirk:

My city has six sister cities:

Ciudad Obregón, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Mazatlán, Mexico
Pécs, Hungary
Puerto Peñasco, Mexico
County Roscommon, Ireland

I have no idea how any of these cities were chosen or how the process works.

Does this mean if I go to any of these cities and say "I'm from your sister city," do I get any special discounts?

Viker

Häxan
Louisville's sister cities.

I checked and they all actually exist! They're real!

Montpellier, France
La Plata, Argentina
Adapazari, Turkey
Tamale, Ghana
Quito, Ecuador
Mainz, Germany
Jiu Jiang, China
Leeds, England
Perm, Russia (temporarily paused for some reason)

Viker

Häxan
My city has six sister cities:

Ciudad Obregón, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Mazatlán, Mexico
Pécs, Hungary
Puerto Peñasco, Mexico
County Roscommon, Ireland

I have no idea how any of these cities were chosen or how the process works.

Does this mean if I go to any of these cities and say "I'm from your sister city," do I get any special discounts?
"Sister Cities of Louisville programming promotes peace through the respect we show, understanding we foster and cooperation we seek with our Sister Cities around the world - one individual, one community at a time.

At the local level, there are opportunities for personal development, new friendships, and new challenges to understand the world around us. On the municipal level, the exchange of experiences between cities leads to new ideas and unique solutions to problems. From the national vantage point, the "grassroots" contact allows people from all nations to learn from one another. This process benefits Louisville as well as members from other sister city communities around the world"

I guess this is sorta what it means.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The City of Newark, New Jersey signed a sister city agreement with the United States of Kailasa. But there is no such country as Kailasa.

Newark Fooled in Sister City Scam - A Quick Search Could Have Prevented This

:rolleyes:
This Nithyananda guy is a scamster and rapist who fled from India to avoid arrest. He has created an exploitative cult filled with the gullible and other like minded scamsters who forge documents to fool people and other govts. Interpol has an international red corner notice to nab the guy. It's like Newark going into an agreement with a mafia boss!
Interpol Notice Against Nithyananda, Wanted In Rape, Abduction Cases

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In Europe they are usually called twin towns.

I see it as wn excuse for town officials to get an all expenses paid trip to their twinned towns.

I guess visiting a non existent town can be fun.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
In Europe they are usually called twin towns.

I see it as wn excuse for town officials to get an all expenses paid trip to their twinned towns.

I guess visiting a non existent town can be fun.
Yes indeed. If you can actually bill the govt for expenses made during that nonexistent trip.....
May be that is what happened

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would anyone in their right mind?
Consider the advantages.
- Revoltistan exists...sort of.
- We don't conquer other countries.
- We prefer to not even visit other countries.
- Best national motto in the world...
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed astern!"

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It probably should have been "google search," but it seems hardly worth mentioning.

Actually, one would think that anyone serious about a potential sister city would have done a google search if only to demonstrate a respectful interest in one's newfound sibling.

Shaul

Premium Member
Consider the advantages.
- Revoltistan exists...sort of.
- We don't conquer other countries.
- We prefer to not even visit other countries.
- Best national motto in the world...
"Damn the torpedoes! Full speed astern!"
All well and fine, but there is that one speed bump....

haggis.