• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand to go into lockdown for at least 4 weeks

Ebionite

I'd say it is essential for people to be informed (and re-informed) what it means to be responsible in your actions as regards your fellow man.
If you're not competent enough to interpret the facts then you're not competent enough to identify a source to do it for you.

If conducting "business as usual" puts people at risk of death, then you simply no longer conduct "business as usual."
According to your reasoning the health system should shut down, since there is a chance that people could die because of medical error.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I was genuinely saddened by the recent images of it on fire, and on the horrendous estimates of destruction of wildlife.
Thanks. So were we. But since then we've had flooding and now a pandemic. April is expected to bring giant carnivorous chickens. May we might take off. But June has some really crazy stuff planned...

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
Our Prime Minister just announced New Zealand would be moving in lock down for at least 4 weeks. In the last 24 hours we have 36 new cases of Covid 19 bringing our total to 102. 2 of the cases to date can not be connected to overseas travel or close contact with someone who has been infected. Therefore we must assume we now have community spread.

What total lock down means is that everyone stays at home unless they are providing an essential service. Supermarkets, doctors, pharmacies, service stations, access to essential banking services will all be available. However If individuals do not have immediate needs, they should not leave their home. Social distancing should be maintained at supermarkets when people are undertaking essential shops.

Non-essential businesses must now close. All bars, restaurants, cafes, gyms, cinemas, pools, museums, libraries, playgrounds and any other place where the public congregate must close their face to face function. Schools and universities will close.

PM Jacinda Ardern's full lockdown speech

As a general practitioner we have just moved to consulting with patients by phone or video in the first instance and will only see patients face to face if necessary as fears COVID-19 is already being transmitted in the community.

The move is aimed at protecting both the community and doctors on the frontline in the battle against the spread of coronavirus.

GPs move to minimise patient contact amid fears of COVID-19 community transmission

We have just put a portable cabin in our practice’s car park to use as an isolation room.

View attachment 38159

We will be discouraging people with mild symptoms from attending at all but those with moderate to severe symptoms who have flu like symptoms can be seen once full protective gear is worn by our GPs.

Its kinda nice to be able to provide updates on RF and to hear each other’s experiences. We can discuss and debate for sure. I may be too busy to respond but I’m listening to what you are all saying.:)

Lockdown -> Depression

Lockdown -> Inability To Work
Inability to work -> Shutdown of businesses
Shutdown of businesses -> Lost jobs
Lost jobs -> Lost income
Lost income -> Poverty (and starvation)
Poverty (and starvation) -> Poor living conditions
Poor living conditions -> Decreased health
Decreased health -> Unemployability
Unemployment -> Depression (Both senses of the word)

All of this, in turn, extends the length of lockdown, because the sick get sicker.

Yes, it it important to test for and treat this virus. But if handle this wrong, you risk a worldwide depression. Those leaders pushing this ought to be punished, because they are not only feeding hysteria but also risking the lives of ppl on secondary fall out of the disease, namely the economic side-effects of lockdown.

How I would do this if I were governor (hint: elect me now)
1. All essential businesses should stay open. That is not to say, as is. During containment of disease, many businesses listed below will have to restructure in order to deal with this. I personally am not convinced this disease is as virulent as is being said, but I am unlikely to convince anyone, so the main thing is to limit contact to secondary sources (using slots to pass money, using businesses remotely, etc).
1a. This includes all groceries but also all restaurants. Many people cannot cook or hunt, so it is essential that such places as McDonald's exist. On of the key problems of this is that food must remain uncontaminated. With restaurants, there has already been an easy fix, drive-throughs. But it might interest you know that a very old method of grocery shopping already exists. Basically it's the old behind-the-counter grocery that you see in some gas stations. You hand your money to a masked and gloved man (don't be one yourself) and he reaches it for you.
1b. Schools and libraries must remain open. However, this first problem can be fixed by easing homeschooling regulations and issuing materials. And our library has started making a shift to remote services by doing curbside stuff.
1c. Churches must remain open. Faith is important, especially for those struggling with despair. Thankfully, there are already solutions such as video conferencing. Paying your priest... that's a little harder. Some churches reiterate the "don't come if you think you shouldn't" thing and do meet in person, reasoning that God is stronger than fear of disease. I think I like this sentiment, though it's difficult to sell ppl on it. In any case, those who are afraid simply shouldn't come. Joshua 24:15-27 says that serving God is a choice, and kinda a heavy one.
1d. Post offices and banks must remain open. This is absolutely the case, even if they only operate via those blue post boxes and stamp dispensers. Likewise for banks. It is essential that people are able to continue trade, and since trade depends on being able to deposit money and to send money via mail for services rendered, this must remain functional.
1e. Sources of entertainment must remain open. It is essential that people feel normal again, because panic not only raises the risk of hoarding and overshopping, but also suicide and homicide. I suggest if people MUST go out to the movies that drive-ins make a comeback. Some musicians are broadcasting on Facebook instead their regular concerts.
1f. Power plants and essential manufacturing must remain open. If food production becomes scarce we have big problems. And if power plants shut down, all panic problems get really bad.
2. Furthermore, no official mandate for businesses to shut down ought to be issued. Instead businesses ought to be encouraged (with necessary money) to refit their business in order to make the necessary changes.
3. Any that do not refit, should notify their customers that they patronize the business at their own risk. Just as you can't prevent ppl right now from drinking themselves to death, the best you can do is try to prevent a sick person from infecting others but not themselves.
4. Government and media people who create panic that could potentially cost jobs and lives, ought to be punished in the same way as mass murderers. Because this is what this is. Instead, only big cities and airports ought to be truly locked down. Small towns are in marginal risk unless people visit the city. So ppl should be restricted from leaving cities or coming to them.
5. Lastly, no matter what fear there is of spread, this should not persist a full year. It especially should not be exploited to somehow rig elections. In all likelihood, people will recover before this time, and such actions look a bit too much like opportunism.

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nauru is a tropical paradise. New Zealand is an orc infested hellhole.
I've never been to Nauru, though I had dealings with Bernard Dowiyogo in another century, and he didn't strike me as the greatest ad for his island.

I understand the NZ Dept of Health has enlarged their orc-care division for the duration of the virus.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
I've never been to Nauru, though I had dealings with Bernard Dowiyogo in another century, and he didn't strike me as the greatest ad for his island.

I understand the NZ Dept of Health has enlarged their orc-care division for the duration of the virus.
Meanwhile feral hobbits run rampant, never mind the constant danger of airborne assault from bloodsucking kiwis!

A Vestigial Mote

If you're not competent enough to interpret the facts then you're not competent enough to identify a source to do it for you.
And what are "the facts"? This IS you claiming to be much more informed than myself, isn't it? Please... enlighten me.

According to your reasoning the health system should shut down, since there is a chance that people could die because of medical error.
This is you being deliberately hyperbolic - as well as creating a strawman of what I said so that you can easily knock it down. I mentioned "convenience," did I not? It was plastered all over my post, as far as I can tell. "Convenience" most certainly does not include what are considered essential services. Even THE GOVERNMENT is aware of this and has stated as much in their shut-down mandates. If that doesn't indicate that this distinction is COMMON SENSE, then I don't know what does. So... where do you stand on the whole "common sense" issue? You still going to try and tell me I want medical services shut down based on my previous comments?