• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand: no more smoking for the next generation.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The exposure - and therefore risk - is lower with pot. There aren't many pack-a-day pot smokers.
People are atill irritated by the second hand smoke as with other smoking products.

Granted , no one is smoking pot inside public places so far as I can tell.

I guess if it still falls under smoking rules in general, it's a moot point I'm trying to make.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The exposure - and therefore risk - is lower with pot. There aren't many pack-a-day pot smokers.
One of the rare exceptions:

1678232939387.png

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I have never smoked in my life...but I respect those who do, because I understand addiction
I understand their addiction very well
BUT also rule #1 = do not harm others

So, all should examine their actions
Do my actions harm someone
IF so THEN do not do it

Usually this solves most of the troubles
(There might be an occasional exception)

Very important in all of this:
Addicts usually don't love themselves
(addiction: do things that harm yourself)
Respect others teaches to respect yourself
Self Respect is the cure of one's own addiction
Two birds with one stone..other happy, you happy

Twilight Hue

IF so THEN do not do it

There's nothing wrong with educating people of the risks involved, but people should be free to make their own decisions, and not others making decisions for them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

IF so THEN do not do it

Yes...indeed.
My addiction to espresso doesn't harm anyone.

stvdv

There's nothing wrong with educating people of the risks involved, but people should be free to make their own decisions, and not others making decisions for them.
Killing others is not allowed as per law
You think killers should be free to kill?

Imposing smoke on others kills not instantly, but it builds up gradually, hence slowly kills you...only some time difference

You don't see those are similar. One human imposes actively their harmful "free will" desires on others

If others can use their free will to slowly kill me by imposing their smoke on me then I am free to kill them too, right? Will get messy, like in Barbarian Age

Of course they are free to impose actively their smoke on me, and law enforcement is free to jail them for doing so

Twilight Hue

Imposing smoke on others kills not instantly, but it builds up gradually, hence slowly kills you...only some time difference

You don't see those are similar. One human imposes actively their harmful "free will" desires on others

If others can use their free will to slowly kill me by imposing their smoke on me then I am free to kill them too, right? Will get messy, like in Barbarian Age

Of course they are free to impose actively their smoke on me, and law enforcement is free to jail them for doing so
One could say the same about cars.

People get killed all the time but we still use the machines.

I see it as the same in that regard.

Twilight Hue

I see it as the same in that regard

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Well...I think it's very interesting.
Honestly I think they passed this law to preserve the health of the next generation.
But...at the same time some may think it violates people's free will.
Please discuss. ;)

It'll create a market for black market cigarettes, which will lead to increases in crime. Prohibition never works. Why hasn't anyone figured that out yet?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
It'll create a market for black market cigarettes, which will lead to increases in crime. Prohibition never works. Why hasn't anyone figured that out yet?
It's the reason why I think it's not applicable in my country because it would increase crime. Nevertheless, there is a new stance that wants to gradually prohibit smoking in all public areas, indoor and outdoor. Meaning: you want to smoke? Do it at home.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
New Zealand and Australia already have a huge black market for cigarettes because the price is $50/pack, it will only get bigger

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's the reason why I think it's not applicable in my country because it would increase crime. Nevertheless, there is a new stance that wants to gradually prohibit smoking in all public areas, indoor and outdoor. Meaning: you want to smoke? Do it at home.

There are some places which have banned smoking in public in the U.S., although for the most part, the general rule is to smoke outside, since people aren't allowed to smoke inside (unless they're at home).

Banning things or intentionally making it more difficult to get creates a "forbidden fruit" syndrome. Impressionable young people might deliberately seek it out precisely because it's denied to them.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are some places which have banned smoking in public in the U.S., although for the most part, the general rule is to smoke outside, since people aren't allowed to smoke inside (unless they're at home).

Banning things or intentionally making it more difficult to get creates a "forbidden fruit" syndrome. Impressionable young people might deliberately seek it out precisely because it's denied to them.
It depends on the people.
For instance, people try pot for the first time because it's the forbidden fruit and that draws to it.
Once someone was smoking that stuff in the pub backyard. That awkward smell made me say: I will never smoke that stuff in my life. ;)

stvdv

Killing is with intend and awareness
Killing is actively hurting the other

Car accident falls in a different category
Car accidents is not actively hurting

No use to compare apples with bananas

stvdv

Car accident is accidentally hurting

Twilight Hue

Car accident is accidentally hurting

We know for a fact people will die in cars, so there is a degree of intent , or risk of losing lives everytime one gets behind the wheel.

The comparison is spot on.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
New Zealand and Australia already have a huge black market for cigarettes because the price is $50/pack, it will only get bigger
Interesting, there are no state laws against black market tobacco:

Shops openly sell untaxed tobacco. It is half to a third of the price of legal tobacco. That probably will not last.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
We know for a fact people will die in cars, so there is a degree of intent , or risk of losing lives everytime one gets behind the wheel.

Not even close. Modes of transportation are needed to get to work, etc.. Automobile manufacturers are constantly making cars safer so that when one does get into an accident the odds of death have been greatly reduced. There is not much that can be done to make cigarettes "safer".

stvdv

Okay, that is your opinion, I respect that

IMO, your comparison is far from spot on

I am sure a US judge won't equate (like you do):
a) Serial rapist/murderer
with
b) Death by car accident

or

a) Premeditated murder
with
b) Death by car accident