• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand: no more smoking for the next generation.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Well...I think it's very interesting.
Honestly I think they passed this law to preserve the health of the next generation.
But...at the same time some may think it violates people's free will.
Please discuss. ;)
My parents smoked while I had bronchitis, hence I told them, age 7, I don't go in the car with you

IF people smoke that's fine
IF people smoking harms others it's not

Killing others is banned also, even if it takes out a little free will.

Usually smoking is done when in social gatherings, hence it effects others' health

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My parents smoked while I had bronchitis, hence I told them, age 7, I don't go in the car with you

IF people smoke that's fine
IF people smoking harms others it's not

Killing others is banned also, even if it takes out a little free will.

Usually smoking is done when in social gatherings, hence it effects others' health
I think that we are all addicted to something. :)

If I say I am addicted to espresso...well...it's a fact that espresso doesn't harm your lungs...
even if it's not that healthy to drink so many espressos.

I have never smoked in my life...but I respect those who do, because I understand addiction.

But I guess mine is a healthier addiction.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Big Tobacco will not like this. We may be seeing the end of tobacco smoking in first world countries at least.

Though nicotine does have some pretty strong hooks.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Big Tobacco will not like this. We may be seeing the end of tobacco smoking in first world countries at least.

Though nicotine does have some pretty strong hooks.

I used to work in market research and one of our clients was Big Tobacco. This was the 90s, and they were already looking at "new markets" like Chinese and Latino immigrants. I'm sure they're angling for 3rd world countries now.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Well...I think it's very interesting.
Honestly I think they passed this law to preserve the health of the next generation.
But...at the same time some may think it violates people's free will.
Please discuss. ;)

I like the overall idea. In practice though... Why not start with 18 years old? It feels like politicians not having the balls to upset any potential voter in the short term.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They had a referendum and decided not to legalise cannabis.
Plus, legalisation of cannabis doesn't mean smoking would be promoted, or even permitted (potentially).

Bit hard to call hypocrisy on this one.
Wow, so he did not only get the basic facts wrong. He does not even know what promoting is.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Good. I'd vote for it if this came up for the UK. Smoking has to be one of the dumbest habits to ever get entangled in - unless one likes paying the wages of leeches whilst risking your own health. :imp:

And, as no doubt mentioned by many, it also can harm the health of others. :(

Last edited: