• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Zealand Doesn't Hesitate to Ban Automatic Weapons

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Apparently gun ownership is not a part of their Constitution so I guess the government can arbitrarily give or take them away at any time for any reason.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Apparently gun ownership is not a part of their Constitution so I guess the government can arbitrarily give or take them away at any time for any reason.

That's one way to spin it.
You realise you're talking about a country that completely got rid of all combat aircraft though, right? Also the first country to give women the vote.
Unlike some, they're generally not concerned the government is going to replace democracy with tyranny at the point of a gun.

Audie

Veteran Member
Legislation about this may be in place by April 11th.

Fair enough.
Who needs a fast-reloading gun for any sporting activity?
Who needs a fast re-loading gun for vermin control?

Fast firing guns are totally unnecessary for civilian use.

Answering our own rhetorical questions, are we?

American ranchers use semi auto rifles for predator
control, Perhaps though you could use a muzzle-loader
to good effect on a distant running coyote.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
In the wake of a terrorist attack at a Muslim Mosque, New Zealand doesn't hesitate to respond.

New Zealand banning semi-automatic, assault rifles after mosque shootings | CBC News

Thoughts?
New Zealand doesn't have the Constitution and laws that we have, so it's not really a surprise their Government can suddenly dictate whatever they want at any given time to impose more stringent and restrictive laws whenever they want with little or no say by the people in the matter.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
What do you think automatic weapons are for?

Semi- automatic, one trigger pull, one bullet

Law abiding citizens (which are the vast majority of those that own them) use military style semi-automatic firearms for target practice, competition shooting, sport shooting, hunting, etc.
I thought about getting a class III license (full auto) at one point.they are a little pricey with taxes, renewal fees, transfers, etc. Which turned me off.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Law abiding citizens (which are the vast majority of those that own them) use military style semi-automatic firearms for target practice, competition shooting, sport shooting, hunting, etc.
I thought about getting a class III license (full auto) at one point.they are a little pricey with taxes, renewal fees, transfers, etc. Which turned me off.
I considered getting a Lewis Gun (antique), but eventually decided not to.
Note: There's no known relationship between it & @lewisnotmiller.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
That's one way to spin it.
You realise you're talking about a country that completely got rid of all combat aircraft though, right? Also the first country to give women the vote.
Unlike some, they're generally not concerned the government is going to replace democracy with tyranny at the point of a gun.

It's not a spin, it isn't in their constitution so the privilege can be given or taken away by whoever is running the show at any specific time.

sooda

Veteran Member

I used to hunt with my husband. We never used semi-automatic weapons.. What does Ducks Unlimited or Greenwing say about that?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I used to hunt with my husband. We never used semi-automatic weapons.. What does Ducks Unlimited or Greenwing say about that?

I have no idea what D.U. says about it but I am sure there are plenty of duck hunters out there that have used semi automatic shotguns.
Btw the .NZ ban is for military style semi autos, wonder if they cover military style semi auto shotguns and what constitutes one, that might be worth looking into.

sooda

Veteran Member
I have no idea what D.U. says about it but I am sure there are plenty of duck hunters out there that have used semi automatic shotguns.
Btw the .NZ ban is for military style semi autos, wonder if they cover military style semi auto shotguns and what constitutes one, that might be worth looking into.

And, here I thought hunting was a "sport".