• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New way to memorize planet names

HiddenDjinn

It's My Birthday!
Here's a new way to teach your kids skepticism of religion and the planet's names at ONCE!

Mary's "virgin" explanation made Joseph suspect upstairs neighbor.

Nice little mnemonic, no?

Source: xkcd: Mnemonics

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Mother very energetic must always jump straight up north pole.... Planets

Very intelligent baboons grow yellow on rump...... Colours.

From the 40's

Skwim

Veteran Member
Here's a new way to teach your kids skepticism of religion and the planet's names at ONCE!

Mary's "virgin" explanation made Joseph suspect upstairs neighbor.

Nice little mnemonic, no?

Source: xkcd: Mnemonics
While it's nice that they excluded Pluto, they neglected to include the Domain rank in taxonomy.

Domain, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species
Daffy  King     Philip  Came Over  For  Ginger  Snaps

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
As much as I am used to Pluto being a planet, I'm supporting the dwarf planet idea, why don't people complain about Ceres not being a planet?

apophenia

Has NASA found another planet in the solar system?

10th Planet Discovered - NASA Science

I just clicked on that link (from 2005), and there are three photos with this text -
" The new planet, circled in white, moves across a field of stars on Oct. 21, 2003. The three photos were taken about 90 minutes apart. "

Is it just me, or do the photos show no movement at all ?

I'm not doubting NASA's data BTW, just thought that was odd.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Yes they do show a little movement. The left one is slightly higher in relation to the red dot/whatever it is, to the right, than the right photo.

I hope that made sense. :D

I was focusing on it to move to one side to notice it going down.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
As much as I am used to Pluto being a planet, I'm supporting the dwarf planet idea, why don't people complain about Ceres not being a planet?

Ceres was last considered a planet in the 1850s. Everyone alive today knows it only as an asteroid.

Plus, Ceres reclassification from asteroid to dwarf planet could be considered a promotion, unlike Pluto which was demoted (rightly, in my opinion) from planet to dwarf planet.