• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New UN report calls climate change 'unequivocal’ and ‘unprecedented.’

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The prophecies about the end times certainly are materialising before our eyes as we watch.
So are the flaming censers next, or the voices from the clouds? Maybe a dragon'll rise from the sea first.

Bothersome in that what we are experiencing is not from the hand of a god, but from the greed of man. Corporations have written this end, and we will burn for it.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Does anyone believe we have the will to make the kinds of changes we need to avoid catastrophe?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Do you mean like the way the collective came together when covid struck? Like that?

We are indeed in deep doo doo.
People are not going to come together over a moderate issue such as coronavirus.

It's got to be something that's detrimental to everyone.

ecco

Veteran Member
Ok, hide your head back in the sand.
You completely missed the point of my post. You wrote:
Its another case of Hollywood 'predictions' , "The Day After Tomorrow".

I was making the point that the effects of AGW were too slow to make a decent movie. That's not hiding my head in the sand. I did list many of the, very unpleasant, things we have to look forward to

ecco

Veteran Member
So are the flaming censers next, or the voices from the clouds? Maybe a dragon'll rise from the sea first.

Bothersome in that what we are experiencing is not from the hand of a god, but from the greed of man. Corporations have written this end, and we will burn for it.

I wouldn't chalk it all up to corporate greed. We the people wanted light and heat for our homes and fuel for our cooking stoves. We cut down a lot of trees. Then we dug a lot of coal. Then we drilled a lot of oil (after we killed a lot of whales).

As a species, we just don't have a lot of foresight.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Does anyone believe we have the will to make the kinds of changes we need to avoid catastrophe?
Not in the USA. The rhetoric of the climate deniers are already too well established as they need to protect their egos. Plus the cost is going to be catastrophically high and no one will want to pay for anything. And the costs will compound as arguments about what to do and how it gets paid for continue. There will be a breaking point eventually.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I think the only advantage to the smoke in the air is that it cuts solar radiation from reaching the surface. But then the health problems it's causing isn't a good way for us to live in. The fires burn trees and release carbon into the air. Plus cuts the foliage that absorbed carbon dioxide. So the math is bad. It's not unforeseeable that human civilizations could collapse if we can't keep electricity grids functioning, nor produce enough clean water. We are on a tightrope here, and most in society go about their days expecting everything to keep working.
Where I live burning wood for heating in homes is slowly being banned. The huge fires are a serious setback in our attempts to clean planet.

This is the first episode of Connections by James Burke back in the late 70's, Even then he pointed out the technology trap of modern civilization. If anyone has time to watch the for 30 minutes it's pretty illuminating and scary.
Many Western people are spoiled rotten....... Yesterday at 0818hrs our electricity was cut off due to a fault caused by flooding. It took until 1500hrs for technicians to carry out an emergency splicing of cables by using a disused three-phase cable running adjacent to the damaged 240v supply line. The communication from the Supplier and the response was amazing, but all I heard about all day long was howls of protest by neighbours. One woman who couldn't have her morning shower probably needed trauma counselling. I don't hold out much hope for our communities if they can't get used to difficulties.

Imagine to lost wealth of property owners. Who will pay?
Nobody. Wealthy property owners can learn to deal with lost wealth, as far as I could care.
Too many people are stuck in the monthly high-rents-stop-savings trap, and in such instances as sunken land they at least can get up and go inland. :)

pearl

I was making the point that the effects of AGW were too slow to make a decent movie. That's not hiding my head in the sand. I did list many of the, very unpleasant, things we have to look forward to

Sorry I misread. My only point was the similarities with the movie; the arrogance of the political and cooperate powers refusing to acknowledge the
scientific warnings. Climate change is inevitable but we can be better prepared to deal with it.

Brian2

Veteran Member
The main take away from scanning the report and the articles about it is the need to reduce emissions. How that can happen is a big question. Green technology is certainly a big piece of the answer to that question.

More trees, different eating habits, green technology, transfer away from fossil fuels, life style changes, building changes, recycling and no doubt more.

Brian2

Veteran Member

We also have written the end and don't want to turn back from what we have through greenhouse gas emissions. Most of us are responsible in our own ways even if the corporations and Govts might have a greater responsibility,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but we elect and we consume.