• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New UN report calls climate change 'unequivocal’ and ‘unprecedented.’

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think that we might be able to slow CC down, and even make life in cities more bearable and healthy, but I don't think we can stop CC now.
I often wonder about the massive carbon input that the huge fires are causing, world-wide.... they must be accelerating the problem quite quickly; what do you think?
I think the only advantage to the smoke in the air is that it cuts solar radiation from reaching the surface. But then the health problems it's causing isn't a good way for us to live in. The fires burn trees and release carbon into the air. Plus cuts the foliage that absorbed carbon dioxide. So the math is bad. It's not unforeseeable that human civilizations could collapse if we can't keep electricity grids functioning, nor produce enough clean water. We are on a tightrope here, and most in society go about their days expecting everything to keep working.

This is the first episode of Connections by James Burke back in the late 70's, Even then he pointed out the technology trap of modern civilization. If anyone has time to watch the for 30 minutes it's pretty illuminating and scary.

It might be time to prepare for the high sea level rises, the changeable weather patterns, all gloom and doom from me, I'm sad to say. :(
Imagine to lost wealth of property owners. Who will pay?

Brian2

Veteran Member
They say that we don't do anything, the water could rise with up to 15 meters in 2300.

But just checked to certain and I will be flooded :( But good news are that I just have to walk a few blocks and I can live on my own little island :D

View attachment 53718

I live right at the Red dot :)

You can check if you make it here :D

Flood Map: Elevation Map, Sea Level Rise Map

Yes things could get worse, but that is just sea levels, a lot will happen in the meantime and is happening now.
Most of it we won't be here to see I imagine.
China looks like a good place to be according to the map at least.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
Europe & North America are burning Fires rage around the world: where are the worst blazes?

The article lists these countries:
  • Greece
  • Turkey
  • Italy
  • Russia
  • USA
  • Canada

This reminds me of a spiritual that James Baldwin was inspired by:
"God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water but fire next time"

I guess I'm feeling a bit apocalyptic tonight.
That is a double-edged sword. Conditions favor the increase in fire and fire adds more carbon to the atmosphere.

It does seem bleak.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It’s tough to say. I think we’ll follow chinas lead towards clean energy but I don’t think that’s enough. We produce the second most garbage in the world, I believe, with Canada in first place. And our environmental impact reaches beyond what can be accounted for. Anatomyof.ai is a really fascinating look at the extent of our resource consumption. There are some major existential threats to the little blue ball we live on. I really hope but am not counting on a good chunk of Americans to take climate change seriously. I imagine it’ll be a plot by Obama and Hillary to eat more babies and make bees that turn you into a satanist when they sting you.
We have a lot of issues. It all reminds me of the demonstration experiments we did for introductory ecology. We put different numbers of flour beetles in test tubes of equal quantities of flour and observed the impact and rates that each population experienced in overwhelming their limited resources.

If we could successfully store the solid consumer waste, it might help in sequestering some of the carbon. But that is not the only waste we generate and a fair amount just accumulates everywhere. Sewage, industrial waste energy waste and other waste sources need to be addressed and often these have impacts that are severe, but less obvious. All of it is on the rise too as populations increase.

Nature will correct all of this, but it will not be pleasant while we go through the correction process and it will be very different on the other side of it. If we want swing correction to favor our lives, then we will have to direct correction to some achievable outcome through innovation and action.

Ixnay on the bee thing. That's just a myth. And it isn't satanists that it is designed to create or so I heard.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
It's clear that things will only be getting worse, and they're already intolerable for many. Many things will need redefining. What's a hundred-year flood now? Will five categories for tornado and hurricane intensity enough when they are 20% more intense than now?

I saw a guy on TV who was watching his home burn down that he had just built to replace the one that burned 2-3 years before that in the same area. He decided that where he had been living was no longer habitable. There's term now called climate migrant - somebody relocating because of long-term climate change. This may be fueling some of the northern migration from Central America to the States (I believe that Guatemala has been hit hard with climate disasters of late), although political unrest surely accounts for some of it.

The western US appears to be going not through drought, by which I mean a temporary but prolonged diminution in rainfall, but aridification/desertification, which refers to a permanent transformation from grasslands or woodlands to scrublands or desert. This is what happened in northern Africa when the North and South American continents made contact and eliminated a Pacific to Atlantic current like the gulf stream to create the Sahara and the savannas, which had been ape-inhabited jungle. The transformation brought them out of the trees, caused them to stand upright and hunt meat rather than eat leaves and nuts from the trees, and the rest is history. I'm not looking for as good a result from running western Americans out of their habitat.

And what of those living on coasts? Somebody mentioned Miami and the effects of sea-level rising there, but that is not a local phenomenon. Tampa Bay has to contend with it, as does much of southern Louisiana. People on Isle de Jean Charles in Louisiana and Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay are relocating people as their landscape becomes seascape. And this is before considering the hurricanes. If you have a home on the American gulf coast or much of the Atlantic seaboard, what are the chances of losing it to hurricane in the next 20 years? When will it become uninsurable and unsellable? And if you do sell while you can, where will you go? To the western fires? To the midwestern tornadoes? To the heat waves everywhere?
You make a number of good points here, but the climate migrant is potentially a significant one. There is historical precedent for conflict arising out of people migrating to find better homes. And wars only exacerbate environmental degeneration.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The right wing has been delaying doing stuff about climate change for a long time now. They love selling Australian coal and think it is going to cost money to stop climate change.
I heard one of them say today that it is time to bring the nuclear option to the table again. More mines.
We had a great opportunity to become the world's leader in solar power production and technology but I think that chance has passed us by with all this delaying and uncertainty and therefore lack of investment.
The main take away from scanning the report and the articles about it is the need to reduce emissions. How that can happen is a big question. Green technology is certainly a big piece of the answer to that question.

ecco

Veteran Member
Imagine to lost wealth of property owners. Who will pay?

Everyone.

original.jpg

Kayakers navigate a narrow section of water near boat docks that rest on dry land at the Browns Ravine Cove area of drought-stricken Folsom Lake, currently at 37 percent of its normal capacity, in Folsom, California, on May 22, 2021

How much money have the marina owners lost?

original.jpg

Houseboats are seen moored on Lake Oroville on May 25, 2021

This picture reminded me of films taken in Africa when the annual droughts dry up lakes and hundreds of fish are trapped in a comparatively small area where there is still water.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe the bible was true after all, the story about Noah never happened, but is what will happen when humans have to build an ark to get away from Earth once we have ruined it :D

God gave up on us a long time ago, he could see that it was a lost cause, and probably regretted getting rid of the dinosaurs :D
I wonder sometimes if it matters which species it is in which intelligence like ours arises. Maybe it always takes much the same route we have.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
The prophecies about the end times certainly are materialising before our eyes as we watch.
I am not one to take certainty in signs for the end. My interpretation of the Bible is that we are stewards of a gift and have a duty to conserve it for the future.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I wonder sometimes if it matters which species it is in which intelligence like ours arises. Maybe it always takes much the same route we have.
I'm reminded of an article I read not long ago about large civilisations / empires of the past and their demise. The startling point was how relatively rapidly they declined and ended. It would have seemed to the citizens that everything was "ok" until suddenly the perfect storm of conditions hit.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I'm reminded of an article I read not long ago about large civilisations / empires of the past and their demise. The startling point was how relatively rapidly they declined and ended. It would have seemed to the citizens that everything was "ok" until suddenly the perfect storm of conditions hit.
There is a sobering thought.

ecco

Veteran Member
Its another case of Hollywood 'predictions' , "The Day After Tomorrow".
Nah. The reality is way too slow for any Hollywood production.

A couple of big fires. A few floods scattered across the Country. Some drying up lakes. Yawn. Maybe one hydroelectric plant not having enough water to produce at full capacity. Farmers yanking out almond trees. Yawn. Boring.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Cockroaches have been stewards of the gift and have conserved it quite well from long before us and probably long after us.
They are a very successful group, but we are here and we can do much better than we have.