• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New supervisor Kim refuses to say pledge of allegiance

ninerbuff

godless wonder
San Francisco supe Jane Kim refuses to recite the Pledge of Allegiance | Joshua Sabatini | Local | San Francisco Examiner

All the voices of the members of San Francisco’s Board of Supervisors can be heard opening meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance — all but one.
Newly elected Supervisor Jane Kim stands with her colleagues, but does not speak the words. Nor does she place her right hand over her heart during the recitation. She is the only one of the 11-member board who doesn’t say the pledge.
Kim’s objection to the pledge, she says, is that the ideals it speaks of are not reality, specifically its conclusion, which says “with liberty and justice for all.” Kim says the nation is just not there yet.
“I don’t believe we are a nation with liberty and justice for all — yet,” Kim told The San Francisco Examiner on Tuesday. “So a lot of my work is motivated by wanting to be a part of achieving that ideal.”

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: San Francisco supe Jane Kim refuses to recite the Pledge of Allegiance | Joshua Sabatini | Local | San Francisco Examiner

I say you go girl! We all know that justice isn't fair for the poor compared to the rich. Or that people of high ranking will get preference over the average joe. All I've heard on the radio this morning is that some are insecure about her not saying the pledge. Please. What's next? Force a kid to sing the school song or else they'll be viewed as someone with no pride for the school?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Big deal. Maybe she doesn't believe in nationalism. I don't.

Oh my god, she didn't say the pledge! How dare she! We'll get that un-American commie! :eyeroll:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
She is an elected official for a country. She chose to run for office. She should pledge allegiance to the country she represents or get out of office.

As with any official I am dubious as to why she refuses. She will of course try to put it in the best light.

Rainbow Mage

No she shouldn't have to pledge allegiance. She has agreed to serve her people, and that's enough. She don't need to pledge allegiance to a flag.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
She is an elected official for a country. She chose to run for office. She should pledge allegiance to the country she represents or get out of office.
She has a legal right to not say it. One could tell you that if you don't
like the laws giving her this right then you can leave this country.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

I swear I get so tired of this old nationalism patriotic crap. Most people who claim they're patriotic aren't loyal to the people, they're loyal to the government.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
She has a legal right to not say it. One could tell you that if you don't
ike the laws giving her this right then you can leave this country.

One could but because of my rights I don't have to leave and can put pressure on her to leave office and support those that will put pressure on her.

It is my right not to agree with her or anyone else for that matter.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One could but because of my rights I don't have to leave and can put pressure on her to leave office and support those that will put pressure on her.
It is my right not to agree with her or anyone else for that matter.
You're certainly within your rights to lobby for legally required loyalty oaths.
But it's improper to demand that she leave office or the country. It reminds
me of the days when "Love it or leave it." was said to anyone who opposed
the Viet Nam war.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You're certainly within your rights to lobby for legally required loyalty oaths.
But it's improper to suggest that she leave the country.

I never said she should leave the country. I said she should get out of office. Meaning not serving as an elected official in a country she refuses to pledge allegiance to.

Rainbow Mage

She refuses to pledge allegiance to a flag. Come on guys. I won't do it either most of the time, and I certainly won't say "under God".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
She refuses to pledge allegiance to a flag. Come on guys. I won't do it either most of the time, and I certainly won't say "under God".
It's a flag. Who in their right mind would swear allegiance to a hank of cloth?
It's a ritual that some want to force upon others. That alone makes me want to refuse.

Rakhel

This is like telling an atheist he can't run for congress because he doesn't say "under G-d" when he says the Pledge. Or that a Muslim or Jew can't run because he doesn't want to be sworn in using a christian Bible.

When did freedom to express religion go out the window simple because they entered office?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

As an elected official you are representing your county in your office, as such I feel you need to pledge allegiance to that country and its people.

You can not be President of the United States unless you swear by the Presidential Oath in front of a Supreme Court Justice.

This just makes sense. If she was in my district I would try to politic her out of office.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As an elected official you are representing your county in your office, as such I feel you need to pledge allegiance to that country and its people.
I'm more concerned that my elected officials be honest & diligent. Swearing an oath doesn't make that happen.

You can not be President of the United States unless you swear by the Presidential Oath in front of a Supreme Court Justice.
That will be a problem she will have to face when she's elected prez.

This just makes sense. If she was in my district I would try to politic her out of office.
You have the right to be a political gadfly. I'm sure she already faces those.

Rainbow Mage

I think an official should pledge allegiance to one thing alone, to serve the people. Not pledge allegiance to a flag, or a government, or a country title, or a party. The people they claim to be serving.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
This is like telling an atheist he can't run for congress because he doesn't say "under G-d" when he says the Pledge. Or that a Muslim or Jew can't run because he doesn't want to be sworn in using a christian Bible.

When did freedom to express religion go out the window simple because they entered office?

As an atheist I have political asperations and I pledge the allegiance when ever needed and I am in cub scouts so it comes up a lot.

I really don't understand why atheists have such a problem under god. God doesn't exist for us so we are saying under nothing. Putting america above all. This actually is how I interpet it and it instills pride when I say it.