• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New study: Wearing Tefillin may have heart benefits

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Study finds wearing tefillin has heart benefits

From the article:

"“[Tefillin] is placed on the non-dominant arm around the bicep and the forearm in a fairly tight manner. It is never worn in a fashion as to occlude the blood flow,” said Dr. Jack Rubinstein of the Division of Cardiovascular Health in the UC College of Medicine. “This is traditionally worn for about 30 minutes continuously during prayers which involve sitting and standing resulting in occasional retightening of the strap around your arm.”​

According to Rubinstein, the binding of the arm may serve as “preconditioning” and offer a significant degree of protection against the damage that takes place when someone has an acute ischemia (sudden loss of blood flow) or after the supply of blood is restored to an organ after an ischemic event known as a reperfusion."​

Rubinstein goes on to suggest the possibility of creating a tefillin-like device as a stand-in for people who don't put on tefillin.

Tefillin are the black boxes Jews put on their arms and heads during morning prayers. Sometimes known as phylacteries in English.

74808_tumb_750Xauto.jpg
(pic taken from here)

I have to say, the idea of studying this sounds very original to me. I assume Dr. Rubinstein is a religious Jew. It sounds like the sort of idea that would pop into a Jew's head during prayer.

I also find the results interesting given that the focus here is on the arm tefillin, because these tefillin have been traditionally symbolically linked to the heart, because they are opposite it.

Wandering Monk

There is no description of the mechanism. Clearly a case of someone finding what they want to find. 'Post hoc ergo propter hoc' assertions have no scientific value.

An observation is not the end of an investigation, but the beginning,

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I find benefit in wearing what I want to wear.
However, I'll bet that other people wearing
what I want to wear, when they don't want
to wear it, will have negative effects.

Wandering Monk

From the abstract.
Observed physiologic changes were associated with improved cardiac outcomes, though a direct link between phylactery use and improved cardiovascular outcomes is difficult to prove as there are a number of associated religious and spiritual practices that may confound the observed effects.
BTW, the entire article is only available if you pay for it. Have you done so?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
From the abstract.
Observed physiologic changes were associated with improved cardiac outcomes, though a direct link between phylactery use and improved cardiovascular outcomes is difficult to prove as there are a number of associated religious and spiritual practices that may confound the observed effects.

The article is available for free to me. I see this:

Access provided by Egyptian Knowledge Bank

This is what the Egyptian Knowledge Bank is, for reference:

The Egyptian Knowledge Bank

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
From the abstract.
I guess it worked for me because I have university access. I don't always notice that the access is activated.

rosends

I like the idea of it but am not sold on it as a real factor. One would need a fairly complex experiment, controlling for all sorts of personal variables and accepting the variety of ways of tying, and levels of tightening, righties vs. lefties. I assume that without these it could still make for a fascinating piece of Purim torah.

Wandering Monk

I like the idea of it but am not sold on it as a real factor. One would need a fairly complex experiment, controlling for all sorts of personal variables and accepting the variety of ways of tying, and levels of tightening, righties vs. lefties. I assume that without these it could still make for a fascinating piece of Purim torah.

It could be as simple as prayer and meditation relaxing a person and lowering their blood pressure.

rosends

It could be as simple as prayer and meditation relaxing a person and lowering their blood pressure.
I am suspect of most studies because I see so many variables and intervening factors that can't be accounted for. For some people, prayer can be highly stressful. And what about insincere prayer...

I just figure I'm gonna live my life and somehow survive without statistics until I don't.