1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New study shows Hydroxychloroquine cuts death rate for COVID-19 patients

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shaul, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Shaul

Shaul Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,275
    Religion:
    Judaism
    • Informative Informative x 5
  2. George-ananda

George-ananda Advaita Vedanta and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +5,202
    Religion:
    Advaita and Spiritualist and Pantheist
    I think that drug was considered a failure in the liberal media from the the start because it was associated with Trump. That's how science and the media works today.

If Trump touts it we're going to hate it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hubert Farnsworth

Hubert Farnsworth Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,498
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    Interesting. I think this is encouraging news. Of course all of the wonderful liberals will show up soon and enlighten us about why this well-organized, large study was somehow conducted wrong. There is a clear bias in the media against this particular drug. It is a shame that the virus has become so politicized--those on the extreme right refuse to wear masks, and those on the extreme left refuse to even consider anything contrary to the mainstream medical narrative, especially if it's something Trump endorsed. Both sides are incredibly biased.

4. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +11,361
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    There's no doubt about that. they could have the complete cure and they would still reject it because it was associated with Trump.

Oh well, all the more for the right wing!

Bawhahah!!!

5. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +22,588
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    One study versus multiple studies that showed an opposite outcome? I don't know. I don't remember. I think a part of science that is a built in thingy of it is I think it addresses conflicting results and it does something about that. I think its called replicating the results.
    But maybe Im wrong. Clearly one study is all takes it prove a point regardless of what else is out there.
    I cant wait tobsee how that one is eating alive for it not being a full or true study into hydroxychloroquine but rather a mix of treatments, per the article.

6. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +11,361
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    It's already a proven drug approved by the FDA. The fact that people don't want to accept that is their problem.

I find the progress very encouraging and is among the good news that we get today in regards to the virus and a potential cure or at the very least an effective control.

The only thing of concern would be its side effects. I guess it's a risk vs reward matter.

7. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +22,588
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    “We attribute our findings that differ from other studies to early treatment, and part of a combination of interventions that were done in supportive care of patients, including careful cardiac monitoring. Our dosing also differed from other studies not showing a benefit of the drug. And other studies are either not peer reviewed, have limited numbers of patients, different patient populations or other differences from our patients.”
    That basically says it all. Our results are different because everything is allegedly different. Sounds like fishing for results.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +22,588
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Xanax is FDA approved. It is inappropriate for 99.99999% of all conditions. Opiates are FDA approved. Those are being rethought on how we use them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. columbus

columbus member

Ratings:
    +15,676
    Religion:
    None
    I've not seen that happen.

What I have seen is Trump talking about it in an extremely irresponsible way, for the political gains of minimizing the risks of C19 infection. The drug might be useful, in this case. But there needed to be a large, well organized, study first. Which hadn't happened when Trump made his announcement. Which did cause people to die, if you'll recall.

People died of aquarium cleaner overdoses because Trump's message about the usefulness of the drug wasn't clear. We can all agree that Trump's victims were stupid. But thats why it's so important for a president to be measured and informed and clear. Because stupid people are listening too.
    Tom

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. columbus

columbus member

Ratings:
    +15,676
    Religion:
    None
    No it isn't!
    This is the kind of fake news I have come to expect from Trump supporters. It is not approved for treatment of C19 by the FDA. That's simply not true.

Tom

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12,282
    Religion:
    Judaism
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +11,361
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    I'm talking approved in general. Of course it isn't approved for Covid use yet. That's why it's in clinical trials.

13. columbus

columbus member

Ratings:
    +15,676
    Religion:
    None
    Well, rather like Trump, what you said wasn't true. But it was political and partisan.

I doubt anyone takes your medical advice seriously. But Trump doesn't have that. He shouldn't be so cavalier with the reality because people do take him seriously.
    Tom

14. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,465
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Actually I think you'll find initial tests were using the drug in later stages or with more extreme cases, and the results weren't great.

Whilst I know it probably isn't news in the US, we've been running trials here in Australia using the drug as a preventative for high risk non-COVID patients (healthcare workers) and had enough initial success to move on to larger scale testing.

I don't believe results of that second phase testing have been released, but here's a link.

Hydroxychloroquine and COVID-19

Incidentally the research organisation is a very well established and respected one here in Melbourne.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. lewisnotmiller

lewisnotmiller Grand Hat
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,465
    Religion:
    Atheist
    We don't associate it with Trump down here, although we do associate Trump with a few things...ahem...

Anyways, our testing continues here, more as a way of decreasing infection rates than as a cure.
    (As per my post above)

16. BSM1

BSM1 What? Me worry?

Ratings:
    +8,950
    Religion:
    Buddhistic Panenthetic Jesusonian

Wow! That's a revelation. Could you maybe cite one or two of those aquarium cleaner death cases?

17. columbus

columbus member

Ratings:
    +15,676
    Religion:
    None
    Google them for yourself.
    Tom

18. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Rival's Wife

Ratings:
    +22,588
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Man dies taking fish tank cleaner as virus remedy

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Father Heathen

Father Heathen Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +17,662
    Trump also suggested that people inject themselves with disinfectant. The leftist media denouncing that was just sour grapes. So what do you say, fellas? Grab your bleach and your syringes and then give those liberals the middle finger as you shoot up.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Twilight Hue

Ratings:
    +11,361
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    That means you simply don't know yourself. Don't blame you.

Come to think of it, I never bothered to check myself to see if there was actually cases like that.