• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Study: Girly Men Favor Nanny State

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hah! I knew it!
Weaker men want government to take care of them.
(I found this on the internet, so it must be true. But note that the author uses "right wing" in the narrow sense of economics.)

Men who are physically strong are more likely to have right wing political views | Mail Online

Professor Petersen and Professor Sznycer hypothesised that upper-body strength - a proxy for the ability to physically defend or acquire resources - would predict men's opinions about the redistribution of wealth.
The researchers collected data on bicep size, socio-economic status, and support for economic redistribution from hundreds of people in the United States, Argentina and Denmark.

In line with their hypotheses, the data revealed that wealthy men with high upper-body strength were less likely to support redistribution, while less wealthy men of the same strength were more likely to support it.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I wonder what the causality is on this. Could be that stronger men have no need for governmental support and therefore adopt right-wing views, or maybe the scrawny right-wingers have been bulking up to protect themselves against big government.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I kinda makes since, that guys who are making themselves stronger are more reluctant to let others help them, but I would question if it's evolutionary or not as by most evolutionary models I have seen the welfare of our inner-most groups, such as family or tribe, does matter. Also because our modern social and political settings are still so new that IMO it's far too early to jump to an evolutionary claim. It doesn't matter what the big guys think today, in times past they would have been out hunting to provide for the entire tribe.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I guess I'm the exception to that study... 5'5" 192 lbs, 16" biceps cold flexed, 46" chest, 52" shoulders. I've benched 205. Pretty impressive by all accounts, for a 'manlet' (a guy under 5'6"). But I'm just left of center; I don't want a nanny state. Maybe because I'm gay is the reason I lean away from the right, who knows? :shrug: I take the approach "I'm able-bodied and have two hands... if you weren't here to help me, I'd have to do it myself".

Kerr

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess I'm the exception to that study... 5'5" 192 lbs, 16" biceps cold flexed, 46" chest, 52" shoulders. I've benched 205. Pretty impressive by all accounts, for a 'manlet' (a guy under 5'6"). But I'm just left of center; I don't want a nanny state. Maybe because I'm gay is the reason I lean away from the right, who knows? :shrug: I take the approach "I'm able-bodied and have two hands... if you weren't here to help me, I'd have to do it myself".
Only 205 max? That's still above average. Andy your not wanting a nanny state puts you in my camp.
Remember, the author uses "right wing" only in an economic sense...not social.
So being gay
is quite OK.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Only 205 max? That's still above average. Andy your not wanting a nanny state puts you in my camp.
Remember, the author uses "right wing" only in an economic sense...not social.
So being gay
is quite OK.

I believe those who really need economic help should get it, but I'm way opposed to willy-nilly welfare giveaways and SSD benefits for those who are totally capabale of working, but have doctors willing to certify them totally disabled (like my greedy lazy s-i-l).

My son is a manlet at somewhere around 5'6".
But he bench presses somewhere around 300.
(Still can't take his old man though.)

My bench always sucked. I think it was because my shoulder was going south for years (major rotator cuff tears I had surgery for... almost lost full use of my arm without surgery). I was better at squatting (below parallel :p) and deadlifting, 315 and 345 pr's, respectively. And the squats would have been better too, if not for not being able to stretch my arm back far enough to get a good grip on the bar. It sucks being me. :(

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I believe those who really need economic help should get it, but I'm way opposed to willy-nilly welfare giveaways and SSD benefits for those who are totally capabale of working, but have doctors willing to certify them totally disabled (like my greedy lazy s-i-l).
We see eye to eye.....if you stand on a stool.
(Hah! Couldn't resist.)

My bench always sucked. I think it was because my shoulder was going south for years (major rotator cuff tears I had surgery for... almost lost full use of my arm without surgery). I was better at squatting (below parallel :p) and deadlifting, 315 and 345 pr's, respectively. And the squats would have been better too, if not for not being able to stretch my arm back far enough to get a good grip on the bar. It sucks being me. :(
We all fight injury & limitations.
But you lifted respectable amounts anyway.
In no way are you a girly man!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Just an aside: Girliness doesn't equate to weakness. Women are stronger in lower bodies on average than men.

So, technically, lack of upper-body strength can be related to womanly features, but it also offers other opportunities to bring the pain. Like doing a hip-check or kicking somebody in the knee.

I know all this because my hips don't lie. :cool:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I wonder what the causality is on this. Could be that stronger men have no need for governmental support and therefore adopt right-wing views, or maybe the scrawny right-wingers have been bulking up to protect themselves against big government.

It's probably an overabundance of testosterone, that or steroids, making them more angry and authoritarian.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's probably an overabundance of testosterone, that or steroids, making them more angry and authoritarian.
Actually, those of us who dislike the welfare state are often less authoritarian than statists.
And some of us are just naturally strong...no testosterone supplements used.

Once again, the term "right wing" in the article is applied to a small government anti-nanny
state perspective. It has nothing to do with social right wingers, who would be the authoritarians.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The strongest baboon dominates the troupe. He doesn't need help. He's at the top of the hierarchy and has no need to co-operate with or defer to others.

A few thousand years of civilization won't change our underlying psychology, even when it's become dysfunctional.

Wirey

Fartist
The strongest baboon dominates the troupe. He doesn't need help. He's at the top of the hierarchy and has no need to co-operate with or defer to others.

A few thousand years of civilization won't change our underlying psychology, even when it's become dysfunctional.

This. Fruballed.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Here I am all made up & ready for a nite on the town.
images

And here I am expressing what I think of your post.....
baboon-bottom.jpg

But here is how I feel towards you....
(Be afraid....very afraid.)
baboon-smiling.jpg