• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New state of matter?

exchemist

Veteran Member
This looks rather interesting but I think many more here might recognise the possibilities than myself.

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-physicists-accidentally-state.html
Interesting, but I think we should beware journalistic hype.

I've only read the abstract but it looks to me a bit like the sort of thing you have in graphite. In that case you have a 2D lattice of hexagons of carbon atoms, covalently bonded, with delocalised π - electrons sticking up out of the plane of the layers and providing excellent thermal and electrical conductivity along the planes but not perpendicular to them. So you have a layer of carbon atoms, then a layer of electrons, then another layer of carbon atoms etc.

The orbitals involved will be very different in this case, and there seems to be an element of charge transfer occurring, which does not happen in graphite, but it seems to me this material is a solid with unusual bonding, rather than a "new state of matter", as breathlessly suggested in the pop-sci article.

I must admit at first I thought this article was a joke, or fake news, due to the unbelievable name of one of the researchers: Swastik Kar. I imagined either a tattooed neo-Nazi or some Hindu mystic. But it seems to be kosher.

As it were..... :D

WhyIsThatSo

This looks rather interesting but I think many more here might recognise the possibilities than myself.

Wow, "monumental discovery" there. It won't be long before we know how the ancients used certain knowledge to move huge blocks of granite weighing thousands of tons to build enormous monuments of stone .
( can you say...."levitation" )

exchemist

Veteran Member
Wow, "monumental discovery" there. It won't be long before we know how the ancients used certain knowledge to move huge blocks of granite weighing thousands of tons to build enormous monuments of stone .
( can you say...."levitation" )
Nice derail attempt. :p

But seriously, this topic requires some knowledge of physical science, so I would buzz off somewhere else, if I were you. ;)

WhyIsThatSo

But seriously, this topic requires some knowledge of physical science, so I would buzz off somewhere else, if I were you. ;)

And this, after I gave you some credibility in the "Does history match bible prophecy" thread...
damn, I think I might cry.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I can just imagine the new type of circuitry and storage devices you can make from all this.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I must admit at first I thought this article was a joke, or fake news, due to the unbelievable name of one of the researchers: Swastik Kar. I imagined either a tattooed neo-Nazi or some Hindu mystic. But it seems to be kosher.

As it were..... :D

I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
I can just imagine the new type of circuitry and storage devices you can make from all this.
But do we even know if this material conducts electricity? I didn't see anything in the abstract to suggest these electron layers are delocalised, which is what you would need, I think. Though, reading about superlattices, it seems there is thought to be potential in them for semiconductor devices. The way I read the article, it is about the crystal structure and the disposition of physical electron density between the layers, rather than about the electrical properties of the bulk material.

Last edited: