• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New scientist Gregg Braden

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Gregg Braden does not appear to be part of the discovery institute. Here is a brief summary of what I was able to find out about his studies:

Human by Design invites you on a journey beyond Darwin’s theory of evolution, beginning with the fact that we exist as we do, even more empowered, and more connected with ourselves and the world, than scientists have believed possible.

In one of the great ironies of the modern world, the science that was expected to solve life’s mysteries has done just the opposite. New discoveries have led to more unanswered questions, created deeper mysteries, and brought us to the brink of forbidden territory when it comes to explaining our origin and existence. These discoveries reveal the following facts:

· Fact 1. Our origin—Modern humans appeared suddenly on earth approximately 200,000 years ago, with the advanced brain, nervous system, and capabilities that set them apart from all other known forms of life already developed, rather than having developed slowly and gradually over a long periods of time.

· Fact 2. Missing physical evidence—The relationships shown on the conventional tree of human evolution are speculative connections only. While they are believed to exist, a 150-year search has failed to produce the physical evidence that confirms the relationships shown on the evolutionary family tree.

· Fact 3. New DNA evidence—The comparison of DNA between ancient Neanderthals, previously thought to be our ancestors, and early humans tells us that we did not descend from the Neanderthals.

· Fact 4. A rare DNA fusion—Advanced genome analysis reveals that the DNA that sets us apart from other primates, including in our advanced brain and nervous system, is the result of an ancient and precise fusion of genes occurring in a way that suggests something beyond evolution made our humanness possible.

· Fact 5. Our extraordinary abilities—We are born with the capacity to self-heal, to self-regulate longevity, to activate an enhanced immune response, and to experience deep intuition, sympathy, empathy, and, ultimately, compassion—and to do each of these on demand.

In this book, New York Times best-selling author and 2017 Templeton Award nominee Gregg Braden crosses the traditional boundaries of science and spirituality to answer the timeless question at the core of our existence—Who are we?—and to reveal science-based techniques that awaken our uniquely human experiences of deep intuition, precognition, advanced states of self-healing, and much more! Beyond any reasonable doubt, Human by Design reveals that we’re not what we’ve been told, and much more than we’ve ever imagined.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Gregg Braden does not appear to be part of the discovery institute. Here is a brief summary of what I was able to find out about his studies:

Human by Design invites you on a journey beyond Darwin’s theory of evolution, beginning with the fact that we exist as we do, even more empowered, and more connected with ourselves and the world, than scientists have believed possible.

In one of the great ironies of the modern world, the science that was expected to solve life’s mysteries has done just the opposite. New discoveries have led to more unanswered questions, created deeper mysteries, and brought us to the brink of forbidden territory when it comes to explaining our origin and existence. These discoveries reveal the following facts:

· Fact 1. Our origin—Modern humans appeared suddenly on earth approximately 200,000 years ago, with the advanced brain, nervous system, and capabilities that set them apart from all other known forms of life already developed, rather than having developed slowly and gradually over a long periods of time.

· Fact 2. Missing physical evidence—The relationships shown on the conventional tree of human evolution are speculative connections only. While they are believed to exist, a 150-year search has failed to produce the physical evidence that confirms the relationships shown on the evolutionary family tree.

· Fact 3. New DNA evidence—The comparison of DNA between ancient Neanderthals, previously thought to be our ancestors, and early humans tells us that we did not descend from the Neanderthals.

· Fact 4. A rare DNA fusion—Advanced genome analysis reveals that the DNA that sets us apart from other primates, including in our advanced brain and nervous system, is the result of an ancient and precise fusion of genes occurring in a way that suggests something beyond evolution made our humanness possible.

· Fact 5. Our extraordinary abilities—We are born with the capacity to self-heal, to self-regulate longevity, to activate an enhanced immune response, and to experience deep intuition, sympathy, empathy, and, ultimately, compassion—and to do each of these on demand.

In this book, New York Times best-selling author and 2017 Templeton Award nominee Gregg Braden crosses the traditional boundaries of science and spirituality to answer the timeless question at the core of our existence—Who are we?—and to reveal science-based techniques that awaken our uniquely human experiences of deep intuition, precognition, advanced states of self-healing, and much more! Beyond any reasonable doubt, Human by Design reveals that we’re not what we’ve been told, and much more than we’ve ever imagined.
Looks like a charlatan to me: Gregg Braden - Wikipedia

I note he makes much of being a nominee for the Templeton Award, as opposed to being someone who has actually won it. "Nominated" by whom, one wonders.

According to the Wiki article he is a New Age author, not a scientist, has has made some bizarre claims in the past such as that the polarity of the Earth's magnetic field is about to reverse.

(Apart from that, the guy can't spell his own name.)

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
The Wikipedia article looks great!

I didn't notice anything about the Templeton Award, and what's wrong with new age?

exchemist

Veteran Member
That's too bad. I was hoping to find an author with no dirt to force people to consider their idea.
If you want people to consider this idea seriously, a good start might be for you to track down the basis on which he claims Homo sapiens appeared too "suddenly" to have evolved. The people on this forum with a science background will be highly sceptical of such a claim, of course, so it will need to be supported thoroughly. My guess is that this guy has misinterpreted some science, though whether by accident or design I can't guess at this point.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
I would source his citations as well.

Citations represent the impact he has made on the scientific community.

EH...I just looked...34 citations in 20 years. Nope his career appears to be in the dumps.

That's worse than your standard creation scientist.

David T

Premium Member
It's a science problem on a spectrum.. Random and design are two solutions to a single problem of perception in science. One does not have to have any religious affiliation at all for the design view to exist. Transhumanism really is an extention of that view. Random is the easy hand waving answer. It's incredibly easy to structure scenarios of observation That appear to be random but are not.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Great! Maybe I'll buy his book and present the evidence. He also appears to have a lot of papers!
Does he? In spite of not seeming to have any credentials? That sounds a bit ominous.

By the way, I checked the claim that Neanderthals were "previously thought" to be modern man's direct ancestors and I can't find anything to support that idea (though I can't claim to have made an exhaustive check). According to Wiki: Neanderthal - Wikipedia, Neanderthals and modern man had a last common ancestor about half a million years ago. So they seem to be cousins, rather than fathers and mothers of us all.

I see also there is evidence that neanderthals and modern man interbred, so they are close enough to us not be a separate "species". This seems to undermine "Fact 1", which claims modern man, as distinct from Neanderthals, has characteristics that "set them apart". Not that much, if we and Neanderthals are the same species! (Neanderthals are classed as Homo sapiens, by the way.)

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Nope. We can observe continual development in all of the species before man. From Australopithecus afarensis to Australopithecus africanus to Homo habilis to Homo erectus to Homo heidelbergensis to Homo sapiens we see continual development of the brain. It appears that his knowledge is a good fifty years out of date.

Sounds more and more like a dishonest and ignorant creationist. They ignore evidence and tend to call everything that they do not understand "speculative".

Like I said, his info appears to be a good fifty years out of date. It has been quite a while since Neanderthals were thought to be our ancestors. For quite a while they have been known to be "brother species" they existed at the same time as man for a long time. And they were probably an early victim of man.

Hardly "rare", the DNA fusion that separates us from apes is more common than the author seems to think. Compare horse DNA to Zebra DNA. The two are so closely related that they can still interbreed but zebras can have as few as 32 chromosome pairs compared to a horses 64. In fact it is so common with them that studying their fusions has led to more knowledge of ours:

Evolutionary movement of centromeres in horse, donkey, and zebra - ScienceDirect

What makes the author think that other mammals don't have almost all of these traits? Great apes tend to have all of them.

In other words he is just a Fruit Loop.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
He's essentially another creation scientist.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Nope. We can observe continual development in all of the species before man. From Australopithecus afarensis to Australopithecus africanus to Homo habilis to Homo erectus to Homo heidelbergensis to Homo sapiens we see continual development of the brain. It appears that his knowledge is a good fifty years out of date.

Sounds more and more like a dishonest and ignorant creationist. They ignore evidence and tend to call everything that they do not understand "speculative".

Like I said, his info appears to be a good fifty years out of date. It has been quite a while since Neanderthals were thought to be our ancestors. For quite a while they have been known to be "brother species" they existed at the same time as man for a long time. And they were probably an early victim of man.

Hardly "rare", the DNA fusion that separates us from apes is more common than the author seems to think. Compare horse DNA to Zebra DNA. The two are so closely related that they can still interbreed but zebras can have as few as 32 chromosome pairs compared to a horses 64. In fact it is so common with them that studying their fusions has led to more knowledge of ours:

Evolutionary movement of centromeres in horse, donkey, and zebra - ScienceDirect

What makes the author think that other mammals don't have almost all of these traits? Great apes tend to have all of them.

In other words he is just a Fruit Loop.
Another WHAT? :D

gnostic

The Lost One
There is no such thing as “creation scientist”.

Creation is not another branch or field in science.

And these creationists don’t follow procedure, eg scientific method, to formulate testable hypotheses, and provide actual test results of experiments. And they don’t submit their works before peer review.

“Creation science” is not science, and “creation scientists” are just made up position.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the more mainstream science learns, the deeper and more interesting the mysteries get.

I like Gregg Braden and have heard praise of him from some people I really respect. I think he is one of the frontier people of the post-materialist thought movement and an early peak at the next century of understanding.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There is no such thing as “creation scientist”.

Creation is not another branch or field in science.

And these creationists don’t follow procedure, eg scientific method, to formulate testable hypotheses, and provide actual test results of experiments. And they don’t submit their works before peer review.

“Creation science” is not science, and “creation scientists” are just made up position.
From the context of @Woberts post it appears that the scare quotes were implied. If one unplugs one's irony meters and puts them in a drawer in another room I have found that they survive the typing of the phrase "creation scientist" without exploding, even without the scare quotes.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
So anyway, in the intro he talks about the importance of asking the question "Who am I?" and how in modern light it can heal us. His book has two main goals: reveal new discoveries about our origin and show how to apply them. It is not a science book, religious book, or peer-reviewed book. However it is well-researched and well-documented and wants to cross traditional boundaries between science and spirituality. He noticed that humans developed into modern man a very long time ago after which there was no new development for a very long time. Anyway I'll check it out for you guys.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Disclaimer and Warning to EU residents....

Do not click on this site (link) you are forbidden.

"NOTICE! Those consumers located in the European Union, effective 5/24/2018 due to the GDPR, citizens of any GDPR applicable country or anyone sitting in, or operating from, such country are prohibited from using this site. Read our Terms of Service to learn more. By using our site you understand and agree to these terms. Don't blame us... blame Europe! This site uses cookies to store information on your computer which may track your browsing behavior on our site and provide you with ads or other offers that may be relevant to you. Some are essential to make our site work; others help us improve the user experience. Read our Privacy Policy to learn more."

I checked out results from the Ripoff Report for Greg Brandon here....

Ripoff Report | Power Places Tours Complaint Review Boulder, Colorado