• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Satanist here, a little intro with questions

AspiringSatanist

Theistic-leaning Satanist
Note: I know you've probably gotten these threads hundreds or even thousands of times, but I figured I'd make my own since we're all special ****ing snowflakes and we aren't all the same.

Hello. I'm not a complete newbie to Satanism or the LHP but I'd definitely consider myself a Novice in this sort of thing. For some reason Satanism always had this connection with me, at first I thought it was adolescence and/or shock value, but now I'm realizing that I am probably attracted to Satanism because it's what I truly believe in.

Let me give you a little of my religious background. At first I was Catholic, raised to be one, though I never really had any connection with Catholicism or Christianity on a spiritual level, it just didn't appeal to me. Then I became an atheist. Though I admit that in my days as an atheist I was biased by my lack of spiritual connections or experiences, but now I am much more open to the idea that deities can exist.

Anyway, that was then and this is now, so as of right now as a Satanist I've begun to learn more about it. I've been leaning more towards the Theistic side of Satanism, though I admit trying to get my previous biases is probably the hardest part in all this. Especially the bias caused by my prior belief that "deities cannot exist at all", though I am overcoming it slowly, but surely.

I've seen a couple of topics on "what/who Satan is", so I'd figure I'd put my input on the subject in here so you know where I'm coming from. Note that I am still developing my idea of what Satan is, so this is subject to change. I see Satan as a supernatural force rather than a deity himself. I see Satan as the inspiration for Gods throughout many pantheons. Set (Egyptian), Loki (Norse), Enki (Mesopotamian), etc. They are all manifestations of this force by men, and so therefore I praise the central force (Satan) that I believe is the underlying cause for all these Gods based upon the same concept, and because the Abrahamic faiths all painted this central force and gave it the name "Satan", so I call it Satan because of what the name represents: carnal humanity, submission to desire, and gluttonous vice and self-interest.

Anyway, on to the questions. I have a few I wish to share with you. First off, where can I read more about Satanism? I am currently reading Diane Vera's website (I'm sure some of you are familiar with it) and I find it to be a good resource, though I don't want to make that my only source. So I can use some other sources on Satanism as well. Another question I have is on rituals, magick, etc. Where does one start? I'm not going to start for at least a little while so I can get meditation and self-hypnosis down first, but I could definitely use pointers on where to start first when I do. I could use recommendations for grimoires as well as I will be needing those when I become more advanced in the arts of magick. Books on learning thereof would be nice too.

Anyway, that's my intro and my few questions. Thank you for spending your time reading this, and good day to you all.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I'll challenge you to abide only by one rule. Don't believe anything at all.

Go into the four corners of the world and look underneath every unturned stone. When someone forbids you to proceed ignore them and do as you will. Do this and you will figure out all these answers in the time you're ready to actually hear them.

Whether Satan is an entity or a force is not up for debate -- figure it out, but don't presume. Presumption is the start of assumption and the end of knowing anything at all. :) Satan just is and doesn't care what you think...

S. Connelly's Demonolatry books are good for getting an idea of what theistic Satanism is like, but she really isn't what I would say is a pure theistic more a (soft) polytheistic (demons in her pantheon). Vera is ok.. Heck, Joy of Satan is good if you ignore all the KKK crap and stay in the ritual magic section. Learn to meditate well, but understand the difference between hypnosis and ritual magic. They are two different things that outwardly seem related, but have nothing to do with one another. There's enough to keep you busy for the next two years. :p Learn the mechanics of ritual magic not all the trappings... You don't need equipment you need your mind and dedication to the task. As soon as someone tells you to get a closet full of ritual items drop that book in the trash.

Last edited:

ScottySatan

Congratulations on being reluctant to label yourself before you've done your homework. That's rare.

I recommend the reading lists of the CoS and ToS websites. They are mostly neutral on the subject of whether Satan is real, and leave it up for you to decide, leaving nothing behind but hints of the authors' experiences. Included in those reading lists are things that are not neutral in that debate, Aquino's book is fairly solidly pro-deity and Peter Gilmore's book is very anti-deity. Altogether, you should get a good spread.

Orias

Left Hand Path
If you want to gain a more thorough understanding of what Satan means I would recommend using the term in its original context/invocation or as what it means.

For example, the term "God" may have originally meant "invocation" or "to implore", just as the term "Satan" may have originally meant "Opposition" or "Adversary".

In life, the greatest enemy is the self, to fulfill this circle one must be their own adversary, as well as an adversary to their own beliefs and others beliefs, through this one may learn the true meaning of Opposition.

Xeper, and Hail Satan!

Skorzeny

I second Mindmaster's recommendation of S. Connelly's Complete Book of Demonolatry - it contains plenty of useful information that helped me form my belief system when I was still exploring Satanism as a religion. The ToS also has a lot of resources that can help you, as they are primarily a theistic organisation. All of their publicly-available resources can be found on their website.

On the other hand, I personally found the Satanic Bible and the other writings of the CoS to be less-than-helpful, but some spiritualists have claimed that they've garnered greater understanding by acknowledging and disregarding (thus, overcoming) the perversion of their beliefs. I also find the CoS' founding principles of 'indulgence', 'gluttony', 'submission to desire' etc. to be laughable embodiments of the fact that the CoS is not a religious group, but a big, angst-ridden 'fuck you' to Christianity by people who would otherwise be labelled as atheists - just these ones like to wear black and are still upset about being bullied in school.

Just not my cup of tea. As I said though, I do recommend ToS and S. Connelly's writings. Loads of useful information there.

Hail.

Last edited: