• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Religious/Philosophical Movement?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Not that I'm officially starting one, but wouldn't it make sense to make a religion that supports the Buddhist demon named Mara? An awakening of a new LHP?

In most cases, I disagree with a lot of what Buddha says.

Let's get it straight though; if there happens to be eternal rebirth, why would you want to escape it if you follow Mara? Indulgence will take you far, so why not for eternity?

Indulging for eternity? Why not?

Now, for the sake of secularism, let's make a secular denomination in this religious movement and a theistic branch. The theistic branch will take Mara to objectively exist, not as symbolic. The secular branch will take Mara as a psychological process; the feeling for desire and lust and such. The secular branch wont believe in reincarnation but the theistic branch will, and both will indulge on their cravings, that will be the main focus.

WHAT IS MARA?

Secular Branch - Mara is: Skandha-mara, or Mara as metaphor for the entirety of conditioned existence. Klesa-mara, or Mara embodiment of all unskillful emotions.

Theistic Branch - Mara is: Devaputra-mara, or Mara the son of a deva (god), that is, Mara as an objectively existent being rather than as a metaphor. Mrtyu-mara, or Mara as death, the ceaseless round of birth and death.

DEATH

Secular Branch - After we die: we all cease to exist, that is why we should indulge in this life, for it is the only chance we have.

Theistic Branch - After we die: beings that have not been enlightened will go into a continuous rebirth. We must avoid earning enlightenment so we can spend an eternity of rebirthing for indulgence and pleasure for eternity.

PRACTICES

Both - Crave, satisfy your inner being. Do not deny the lustful sensations that pleasure you, for denying what makes you happy leaves you with nothing.

WORSHIP

Secular Branch - We do not literally worship Mara, but follow Mara, for He is within each and every one of us and He is the true path to enlightenment.

Theistic Branch - [May choose Secular Branch or this:] We literally worship the demon of Mara and follow His path to enlightenment. His manifestation is the true Buddha, He is the true Enlightened One.

ANTI-ABSTINENCE

Both - We do not dislike or attack Buddhists, we dislike and attack Buddhism for it is the practice of abstinence, and abstinence is denying your happiness, denying your pleasure.

PRAYER FOR HELP

Both - Do not pray for help from Mara, definitely do not pray for help from any Gods, pray to yourself or a fellow human WHO MUST WANT TO HELP YOU. Learn to do things for yourself, and if you can't you must ask a friend or such that you absolutely know wants to help you

MAGICK

Secular - Practices psychological magic of whatever magic he chooses to practice. (CANNOT INCLUDE HARMING ANOTHER BEING OR SLAUGHTERING OF ANIMALS)

Theistic - Practices literal magic of whatever magic he chooses to practice (CANNOT INCLUDE HARMING ANOTHER BEING OR SLAUGHTERING OF ANIMALS)

ANIMALS

Both - Animals are special creatures, they are not to be harmed. Do not kill animals unless for survival or for food. If killing for your food, kill fast and humanely.

TEXTS

Both - (I will write one if at least 3 people on here want me to)

What do you think?

TL;DR, I can't put it all in a nutshell, but it is an LHP religion that supports self-indulgence as long as it harms none that are innocent. It is an opposition to most, if not all, Gautama Buddha's teachings.

Satanism is to Christianity as Maranism is to Buddhism.

Any more questions, ask and I will tell you.

You can see my Title under my username is "Mara Worshiper", if I get enough supporters I might try to turn this into an official LHP religion.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Thing I like about RF - It seems you typed forever and feels like you may pull a TL;DR on some, but turns out it isn't that short after all :D

Freedomelf

Are unskillful emotions those that arise without conscious thought? While I would not personally be part of such a religion, I respect your right to choose your own path, provided you strive for good rather than evil. Your path is quite unique.