• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NEW RELIGION FLOWCHART>>> Tell me where you end up

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks...

Hmm - something seriously wrong with that flow chart guys - it says I of all people am a "Jew" who follows Judaism alone...lol.....
That cant be right - can it..??..lol ;)

Yer - simplistic - is the problem - like it says believe in 1 god or many - but does not ask about a heirachy of levels - so doesnt really fit with my experiences properly..I mean for example - Hindus will term their deities as bona fide gods - but I myself would recognise them as Angels - and so the chart is not detailed enough in some respects to be accurate really....

It told me I'm a Secular Humanist which makes me sad for it is a very silly faith:pensive:

I'd suggest that answering 'no' to the question 'Does your religion focus on a path to liberation' should prevent you from being deemed a Secular Humanist. Failing that there should at least be an option for those of us whose atheistic worldview is non-Christian in nature.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Silly damn thing! I answered "no" to the first three questions, and then was presented with "does your religion..." If I don't believe in divine beings and my own divinity -- how can I be expected to answer a question about "my religion?"

Protip: Most religious people think religion is a given, so atheism/agnosticism/etc are all different types of religion.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
All in all, the chart doesn't look too terrible, but I can't attest to the sensibility of many elements of it.

It made sense for me up until the point that they asked "is your religion more solar or lunar centered?" as the question that distinguishes between Druidry and Wicca. That isn't really accurate. I'd have gone with "are your ceremonies in covens or groves?"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It didn't work for me because I didn't answer some of the questions because they simply do not apply. Next, please.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, does your lack of religion focus on a path to liberation?
No, although I'm not sure what a "path to liberation" really means. Liberation from what? Family responsibilities? Life? Death?

Anyway, in 3 questions I get to Secular Humanism, which is hardly surprising, given my handle.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Simplistic, and I can see perhaps other ways of arranging things...but here's where it led me, depending on how I chose to answer some dichotomies I don't really agree with...

Hinduism
Chinese Folk Religion
Folk Religion
Unitarian/Universalist
Druid
Wicca

I see these as what I have an affinity for, more than the many other choices, even though I don't really fit into any of these...

Akivah

I went through it in 5 seconds and ended up in Judaism. I guess the flowchart works.

Acim

Revelation all the time
I ended up at Lutheran.

Cruised through the questions, only getting temporarily hung up on "traditional liturgy" but realized the "traditional" part would be a "no" for me.

Seeing that Gnostic or New Age aren't on there, Lutheran makes sense, especially as school I attended when younger was of that denomination. But looking over the legend, I would've been okay resting on Christian or Theistic Sat (mainly because of how narrow the scope toward traditional religions is). Honestly, most to all of the listed religions hold some appeal to me.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Protip: Most religious people think religion is a given, so atheism/agnosticism/etc are all different types of religion.

True dat. It's like how science takes credit for everything physically existing. As in art/design would never come up with technology, only science can. Heck, even music is though to be a 'science.'

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I came up as secular humanist. Not accurate, but kinda fair enough, all things considered.

I have come up with my own simple religion flowchart.

1. Do you believe in <insert True religion here>?

Yes - Then you are a <insert True religion here>

No - Then you will suffer from <insert punishment here>

Sure, it's crappy and simplistic, but I've met a few people who would happily use it. ..

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Liberation from ignorance... And rebirth. I'm sure you of all people buy into that. :D
Liberation from ignorance is, I think, better achieved by learning things than believing things. And really, rebirth shouldn't be at all scary. The one thing that is certain -- absolutely certain -- is that memory is laid down in the neural circuits of the brain. And no way is known to configure one brain on based on the neural circuits of one now dissolved into pudding.