• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New regulations will allow hunters to kill bear cubs and wolf pups

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
New "amazingly cruel" Trump public land rules will let Alaska hunters kill bear cubs in dens

The Trump administration is finalizing rules that will allow hunters in Alaska’s national preserves to shoot bears and wolves, and their cubs and pups, while they are in their dens.

The National Park Service is reversing regulations written by the Barack Obama administration, which banned some of the much-criticized practices for hunting the predators, including luring bears with food like doughnuts.

Jesse Prentice-Dunn, policy director for the Center for Western Priorities, called the rule change “amazingly cruel” and said it was “just the latest in a string of efforts to reduce protections for America’s wildlife at the behest of oil companies and trophy hunters”.

The park service’s deputy director, David Vela, said the change would “more closely align hunting and trapping regulations with those established by the state of Alaska”.

The regulation is expected to be formally published this week.

The Alaska senator Dan Sullivan, a Republican, said the revision was needed “not only as a matter of principle, but as a matter of states’ rights”. A tribal consortium, the Tanana Chiefs Conference, said the Obama rule was implemented without adequate tribal consultation, in disregard to rural Alaska’s dependence on wild food resources, threatening “centuries-long sustainable management practices.”

Wow.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
At some point, one begins to wonder whether not just these new regulations -- but all of the new environmental regulations when taken together -- do not amount to a war against nature. In the past, they have been justified as necessary or desirable for economic growth and prosperity. But in what manner does killing cubs and pups grow the economy, put cars in people's garages, food on their tables, and pay raises in their pockets. I think it's becoming evident there are less savory motives at work here.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
When the autocrat wants to kill people by taking health care away from them, it's natural for them to extend that cruelty to the animal kingdom.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We're turning into Canuckistan....you know, with the baby seal killing.
I know that killing babies/cubs/pups feels awful, but there's another
side to the story....one Mother Jones is less interested in.
Hunters in Alaska ask: Who has the right to tell them how to hunt?

Hunting in Alaska is relatively more about survival than sport compared
to other states. You should see how some people fish...with big contraptions
harvesting salmon in vast numbers. It's not sport at all.
So long as no species are even remotely endangered, & the predator
vs prey balance doesn't become a problem, I don't oppose it.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The park service’s deputy director, David Vela, said the change would “more closely align hunting and trapping regulations with those established by the state of Alaska”.

Hmmm....

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
When the autocrat wants to kill people by taking health care away from them, it's natural for them to extend that cruelty to the animal kingdom.
The animal kingdom is cruel in its own right. Never forget that.

Twilight Hue

I probably go with an amendment that hunters would not be allowed to kill an animal's cubs with an exception if the mother had attacked first and needed to be killed to which would be a better alternative than having the cubs starving to death.

Even as a Republican I do find the dictate to be a bit shocking. It's always been a Hunter's rule to never kill a mother and her offspring. It's simply bad conservation and it's my hopes that most hunters will still abide by that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not a fan of hunting. I understand it is part of the local economy but seems counterproductive.
As much as I dislike it, locals depend on the meat and fur for their livelihood.
Setting aside emotions they still need to have protections in place to prevent the extinction of a species.
Opposition seems to be all about an inflammatory article decrying baby killing.
Heart strings are tugged & opposition flares. But how is this wrong when we
accept killing domesticated animals? They're often treated far less humanely.

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The animal kingdom is cruel in its own right. Never forget that.

I have seen such a sentiment before of course but I do not consider the rest of the animal kingdom to involve human concepts, such as cruelty. Cruel is:

"cruel - (of persons or their actions) able or disposed to inflict pain or suffering"

The sentiment expressed only focusses on the inflicting of pain and suffering, but as I understand it, the term implicitly regards it as something perpetrated by humans - as noted in the bracketed part above.

(The word "cruelty" is often associated with the word "inhumane", ironic since the perpetrators are very much human).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Opposition seems to be all about an inflammatory article decrying baby killing.
Heart strings are tugged & opposition flares. But how is this wrong when we
accept killing domesticated animals? They're often treated ar less humanely.

Yes, I was thinking nobody cares about the fish. Ideally, they ought to use a study that shows the impact on the local animal population. Easier to manipulate people through emotions rather than facts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
We're turning into Canuckistan....you know, with the baby seal killing.
I know that killing babies/cubs/pups feels awful, but there's another
side to the story....one Mother Jones is less interested in.
Hunters in Alaska ask: Who has the right to tell them how to hunt?

Hunting in Alaska is relatively more about survival than sport compared
to other states. You should see how some people fish...with big contraptions
harvesting salmon in vast numbers. It's not sport at all.
So long as no species are even remotely endangered, & the predator
vs prey balance doesn't become a problem, I don't oppose it.
Species preservation must also be considered. Wolves and bears both are just coming back from endangerment and only just beginning to repopulate area they lived at for hundreds and thousands of years of a bipidal ape unconcerned with environmental equilibrium drove them out.
And, of course, trophy hunting does happen in Alaska. Poaching happens.
I'd pay to see Trump fight his way out of a cave with an armed hunter at the entrace.

Twilight Hue

I have seen such a sentiment before of course but I do not consider the rest of the animal kingdom to involve human concepts, such as cruelty. Cruel is:

"cruel - (of persons or their actions) able or disposed to inflict pain or suffering"

The sentiment expressed only focusses on the inflicting of pain and suffering, but as I understand it, the term implicitly regards it as something perpetrated by humans - as noted in the bracketed part above.

(The word "cruelty" is often associated with the word "inhumane", ironic since the perpetrators are very much human).
I just don't see us as being excluded from animals in terms of nature, as we are still very much primates at the end of the day.

Collectively as a species, we are still going to continue what any other animal does out there when it comes to indiscretionary predation. Mind you were all not like that on individual terms, but collectively we are.

epronovost

But how is this wrong when we
accept killing domesticated animals?

When we raise a lamb to slaughter, we raise it and we eat it. Do you seriously think a lot of people out there in Alaska are interested in eating wolf pups or baby bears? There is a difference between killing to eat and killing for fun. Also, the fact that we tolerate as a society a form of cruelty doesn't mean we should tolerate other forms of cruelty or even all of them while we are at it. That's a very obvious fallacious argument.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I just don't see us as being excluded from animals in terms of nature, as we are still very much primates at the end of the day.

Collectively as a species, we are still going to continue what any other animal does out there when it comes to indiscretionary predation. Mind you were all not like that on individual terms, but collectively we are.

Fair enough. I realise we engage in the same behaviour as other species, behaviour which causes pain and suffering, for whatever reason. I think for me it's more of a philosophical distinction - humans see other humans acting cruelly and label it as such. People will then criticise or defend that behaviour. These are cognitive processes around the behaviour that I would not ascribe (other than as speculation) to other species. I find it hard enough to understand Trump, never mind my cat.

Last edited: