• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New PS3 user with wireless to wired question.

turk179

I smell something....
Is it really that expensive to make a wireless connection to an existing wired network?

Is there any cheap and effective way to connect my PS3 to my network without stretching a 150' network cable to my office? :confused:

turk179

I smell something....
As cheap as possible.

As far as hardware goes, 2 desktops connected to a cheap(word of the day here) wired lynksys router.

turk179

I smell something....
I will give a little background of info I already know:

I know about Wireless Access Points added to a wired network but from what I can tell, they are a bit pricey just to connect one ps3 to an already established connection. I know that it would be cheaper just to convert my network into a wireless network but I would have to get wireless cards for my desktops as far as I know and would end up costing more than a WAP in the long run. So back to my previous post, I am hoping that there is a cheaper and effective way to connect my PS3 to my network without stretching a 150' cable between my office and living room and without spending $100+ on a WAP or new Wireless network.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
Why not replace your router with a wireless one? They can still take wired connections and are cheap.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Why not get a wireless router and buy wireless Flash drive/Donga to fit into the usb ports on your PC's,i believe you can buy a wireless connector for the PS3.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I will give a little background of info I already know:

I know about Wireless Access Points added to a wired network but from what I can tell, they are a bit pricey just to connect one ps3 to an already established connection. I know that it would be cheaper just to convert my network into a wireless network but I would have to get wireless cards for my desktops as far as I know and would end up costing more than a WAP in the long run. So back to my previous post, I am hoping that there is a cheaper and effective way to connect my PS3 to my network without stretching a 150' cable between my office and living room and without spending $100+ on a WAP or new Wireless network.

You do realise that you have to get new hardware for this, do you? :rolleyes:

Also, you speak of an "allready established connection".. But you do not have a connection! Your PS3 is not connected. You just moved your port to another spot using a router or switch.

Do you have a connected PC close by?
You could split that connection for example..

You speak of 150'..
As I only work with meters, that is way too far for a wireless connection as well.

turk179

I smell something....
You do realise that you have to get new hardware for this, do you? :rolleyes:

Also, you speak of an "allready established connection".. But you do not have a connection! Your PS3 is not connected. You just moved your port to another spot using a router or switch.

Do you have a connected PC close by?
You could split that connection for example..

You speak of 150'..
As I only work with meters, that is way too far for a wireless connection as well.
I do realize all of the above. You probably understand my dilemma now. From everything that I have looked into and heard from you all, it sounds like my best bet is to switch to a wireless router and do a little remodeling.

England my lionheart said:
Why not get a wireless router and buy wireless Flash drive/Donga to fit into the usb ports on your PC's
Was not aware of the flash drive/Donga. Will look into that. Thanks

turk179

I smell something....
So no pc nearby?
Nope. Otherwise I wouldn't have an issue. Although I did discover that my PS3 is picking up a wireless signal from somewhere close by with a 75% signal strength and no security. Connecting to that would probably be illegal though:(.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
Nope. Otherwise I wouldn't have an issue. Although I did discover that my PS3 is picking up a wireless signal from somewhere close by with a 75% signal strength and no security. Connecting to that would probably be illegal though:(.

Their error..:beach:
You should check it though because it might still be secured on MAC-adresses..

Beyondo

You need two inexpensive wireless routers where at leasst one is based on open source firmware. There is a site that you download the firmware and load to one of the wireless routers. From there the interface for the router that connects to your PS3 will have a selection as to how it should act and one of the selections allows you to have it access the router that connects to the Internet. I have Verison Fios so the wireless router came with the service. The router I purchased cost about $30 and I connected my Bluray, Xbox360, Samsung 55" LED and my DirectTV box. I'm thinking of placing 10" tablets in each bathroom too, heck with wireless the possibilities are endless!