• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New percentages of Americans that are Christian

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Keep in mind that groups like the Mormons retroactively baptize dead people and they claim those are members of their sects too. I'm sure I'm still on someone's list, even though I haven't been a Christian in more than 35 years.

Yep. That baptizing the dead is absolutely horrid to me. They attempt to take away the person's will, and life choices.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Yep. That baptizing the dead is absolutely horrid to me. They attempt to take away the person's will, and life choices.

Let's be honest, by the time they're dead, they have no will or life choices left. They're dead. It's rude, I guess, but it doesn't really harm anyone in any demonstrable way. I just find the whole thing to be incredibly stupid, like you have to say imaginary things over dead people who can't object so it looks like you have lots of members in your super secret club.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To be fair, that is not a Christian exclusivity. Japanese Buddhism is known for "promoting" people into Buddhism as part of their funeral services, for instance.

Riders

Let's be honest, by the time they're dead, they have no will or life choices left. They're dead. It's rude, I guess, but it doesn't really harm anyone in any demonstrable way. I just find the whole thing to be incredibly stupid, like you have to say imaginary things over dead people who can't object so it looks like you have lots of members in your super secret club.

Super secret club LMAO.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

Indeed. :D I did say attempt.

stevevw

We may be seeing the beginnings of what the bible has predicted in the end times, " the Great Apostasy". It predicts that there will be a falling away from a belief in God worldwide,

Matthew 24:10–12.
10 And then many will fall away1 and betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

2 Timothy 4:3-4New International Version (NIV)
3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

In 2 Thessalonians 2:3, Paul makes it clear that the day of the Lord, a time of worldwide judgment (Isaiah 13:6; Obadiah 1:15), will not transpire until two things happen. First, the falling away, or great apostasy, must occur. Second, the “man of lawlessness” must be revealed, he who is called the “son of perdition,” also known as the Antichrist.
Will there be a great apostasy / falling away during the end times?

So it appears that more and more people will fall away from the truth of God. At the same time, they will replace the truth of God with a lie. This may also include other religions that the bible mentions as false gods. So we will expect that belief in God will gradually diminish as we get closer to the end times.

IndigoStorm

I keep hearing Christians quote 77 to 8 percent of AMericans so I wanted to bring this us. If you llook WIkis actual recent count its 70 percent and actually its lower then that.

It includes people and churches that most mainline church dont consider to be Christian. It includes Mormons, jehovahs Witnesses,, Universal Christian church and also Quakers, the last 2 don't require belief in jesus as God. Actually the real percentages maybe 65 percent or lower. If you don't count those churches.

Truthfully I have a sister who doesn't believe Catholics are Christian and some here don't either, take them off and the percentage is way lower.

Also the percentages for church attendance isn't 45 or 50 percent like some think. 45 percent covers people who claim to go once a year on Christmas. For people who really go regular its more like 20 to 25 percent.

I'm quite surprised the figures are that high.

I may be wrong but I think there would be far less atheists on our planet if it wasn't for the load of bullschtein in the bible.