• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Order of the Serpent logo

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
QF6yRpM.jpg

The Order of the Serpent has a new main logo! The previous logo, with it's featuring of Set, Taweret, and Egyptian hieroglyphs, suggested an Egyptian/Setian bias that the Order simply does not have nor want. We welcome all members of the LHP who share the goal of advancing esoteric and philosophical knowledge.

The symbol has a double meaning. On the simple side, the symbols around the point spell out Draco, representing the main symbolic focus of the Order. On the complex side, this is a pseudo-spelling of Draco. Going top left, top right, left, right, center, we have Norse runes, Sumerian cuneiform, Egyptian hieroglyphics, a Chinese dialect, and simply an ouroboros. While representing our variety of interests (some, not all), obviously the symbols make no sense if directly translated. We have done this to show that we are not some revival group, we take what we want or need and use it to create our own paradigm. Basically the symbol says: "we're open to any inspiration, and you should use it as you will."

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
The problem with taking what you want and using it however you will is when you (general) don't understand what you're taking. This breeds misinformation and misrepresentation, and is why we have today things like the Christian hell and satan.

BSL

Atheist God
The problem with taking what you want and using it however you will is when you (general) don't understand what you're taking. This breeds misinformation and misrepresentation, and is why we have today things like the Christian hell and satan.
Let them. Maybe they will form a colossal cult.

Premium Member

I agree, we need an accurate idea of what we are using, not to mention the history of those things.

BSL

Atheist God
QF6yRpM.jpg

The Order of the Serpent has a new main logo! The previous logo, with it's featuring of Set, Taweret, and Egyptian hieroglyphs, suggested an Egyptian/Setian bias that the Order simply does not have nor want. We welcome all members of the LHP who share the goal of advancing esoteric and philosophical knowledge.

The symbol has a double meaning. On the simple side, the symbols around the point spell out Draco, representing the main symbolic focus of the Order. On the complex side, this is a pseudo-spelling of Draco. Going top left, top right, left, right, center, we have Norse runes, Sumerian cuneiform, Egyptian hieroglyphics, a Chinese dialect, and simply an ouroboros. While representing our variety of interests (some, not all), obviously the symbols make no sense if directly translated. We have done this to show that we are not some revival group, we take what we want or need and use it to create our own paradigm. Basically the symbol says: "we're open to any inspiration, and you should use it as you will."
Try and spell devil around the points.

Sutekh

Priest of Odin
Premium Member
I agree, we need an accurate idea of what we are using, not to mention the history of those things.

I never really liked complex symbols to began with, that is why I find plain symbols to be useful such as the Pentagram of Set but knowing that the O.S. is a community/Order for every individual welcome we are not strictly a Setian Order.

Premium Member
So, in that icon, I'm assuming you're using the oroboros as simply an "O"?

Yeah. I actually wasn't sure about using that myself, but it does look nice and fit the style/symbolism of the order.

Try and spell devil around the points.

Well that would certainly work, but the devil plays no role in the O.S. whereas the northern circumpolar stars are central.

Premium Member
I never really liked complex symbols to began with, that is why I find plain symbols to be useful such as the Pentagram of Set but knowing that the O.S. is a community/Order for every individual welcome we are not strictly a Setian Order.

I love both the last symbol with just the hieroglyphs, as well as the original Set Tauret pentagram. They'll certainly find a place within the O.S. as we grow, but we just weren't comfortable writing ourself into a corner like that. There already are Setian and neo-Egyptian groups, son quite successful, and the O.S. hopes to transcend those groups.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Yeah. I actually wasn't sure about using that myself, but it does look nice and fit the style/symbolism of the order.
Only, the oroboros doesn't really mean "O"; it's not a letter any more than a cross is a lowercase" T". In a similar way, Dagaz is often associated with the letter "D", but so is Tiwaz and Thurs.

To me, the symbol looks like one of those "Coexist" bumper stickers. Quaint, but overly full of various meanings to where it's essentially meaningless.

Premium Member
Only, the oroboros doesn't really mean "O"; it's not a letter any more than a cross is a lowercase" T". In a similar way, Dagaz is often associated with the letter "D", but so is Tiwaz and Thurs.

To me, the symbol looks like one of those "Coexist" bumper stickers. Quaint, but overly full of various meanings to where it's essentially meaningless.

It's busy yeah, but definitely preferable to the explicit and specific Egyptian symbolism before. Someone else pointed out the coexist thing too, which kind of bothers me. What do you think @Onyx ?

What do you mean O.S.

Order of the Serpent.

BSL

Atheist God
And
It's busy yeah, but definitely preferable to the explicit and specific Egyptian symbolism before. Someone else pointed out the coexist thing too, which kind of bothers me. What do you think @Onyx ?

Order of the Serpent.
And what serpent are you referring to

Premium Member

On further thought, I perhaps don't mind comparison to the coexist sticker. I certainly agree that magical traditions, especially on the LHP, should seek to work together and share knowledge, rather than closed mindedly hoard knowledge. The massive, bolded, inverted pentagram clearly shows we are not postmodern hippies

And

And what serpent are you referring to

It refers to the constellation of Draco, which is why the symbols transliterate to that word.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I certainly agree that magical traditions, especially on the LHP, should seek to work together and share knowledge, rather than closed mindedly hoard knowledge.
And when Satanists don't actually learn from the cultures that they take, but instead misrepresent and twist them to their own purposes? Such is no better than christianity circa 900.

It refers to the constellation of Draco, which is why the symbols transliterate to that word.
Only it doesn't. I'm going clockwise, as I've no idea in what manner these are laid out to spell "draco".

You've got the Dagaz rune, which makes the sound of "dzh".

Then you've got a cuneiform, which doesn't have a real good source. What I could find indicates that Sumerian cuneiform does not make simple letter sounds, and none of which resemble the form you have there in any letter or sound. I've seen simple "meme" listings that place that as "R", to which the cuneiforms (multiple) would sound out "ra, rá, re, ré, ri, rí, ru, rú," and "rù", though none look like the "R" placed there.

Then we've got the Chinese letter. I'm not even going to try to guess which of the seven Chinese alphabets it's from, but I sincerely doubt it's as simple as the Latin alphabet.

Next is the oroboros. Not a letter, doesn't mean "O", just kind of looks like it.

Last is the Egyptian hieroglyph - the vulture. Commonly associated with "A", I can't find any Egyptian pronunciation.

So at best, it spells DAC.

Last edited:

Premium Member
And when Satanists don't actually learn from the cultures that they take, but instead misrepresent and twist them to their own purposes? Such is no better than christianity circa 900.

Only it doesn't. I'm going clockwise, as I've no idea in what manner these are laid out to spell "draco".

You've got the Dagaz rune, which makes the sound of "dzh".

Then you've got a cuneiform, which doesn't have a real good source. What I could find indicates that Sumerian cuneiform does not make simple letter sounds, and none of which resemble the form you have there in any letter or sound. I've seen simple "meme" listings that place that as "R", to which the cuneiforms (multiple) would sound out "ra, rá, re, ré, ri, rí, ru, rú," and "rù", though none look like the "R" placed there.

Then we've got the Chinese letter. I'm not even going to try to guess which of the seven Chinese alphabets it's from, but I sincerely doubt it's as simple as the Latin alphabet.

Next is the oroboros. Not a letter, doesn't mean "O", just kind of looks like it.

Last is the Egyptian hieroglyph - the vulture. Commonly associated with "A", I can't find any Egyptian pronunciation.

So at best, it spells DAC.

I think you've gotten yourself a bit lost, the post not only states how to read them, but that the pseudo-translation is purposely inaccurate. Nobody is saying we shouldn't learn from cultures we take from, in fact that's the only way to take from them successfully.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
the post not only states how to read them, but that the pseudo-translation is purposely inaccurate.
In any case, "R" and "O" are not represented at all. Why on earth would you purposely present these things inaccurately - or even completely make them up as with the cuneiform, and then claim them to be what they are not? That doesn't give indication of wanting to learn from these cultures at all, which means you're not successfully taking from them, you're merely stealing from them.

Premium Member
In any case, "R" and "O" are not represented at all. Why on earth would you purposely present these things inaccurately - or even completely make them up as with the cuneiform, and then claim them to be what they are not? That doesn't give indication of wanting to learn from these cultures at all, which means you're not successfully taking from them, you're merely stealing from them.

All one needs to do would be google image cuneiform to see our R is one of 2 or 3 valid, common forms. The O is stylized as a serpent, does that really change the meaning? Is O only O if we type it in times new Roman?

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
All one needs to do would be google image cuneiform to see our R is one of 2 or 3 valid, common forms.
As stated, those cuneiforms do not have sources. They are not valid. The cuineforms for "R" would be as follows:

maxresdefault-41.jpg

(source: Daniel A Foxvog, "Introduction to Sumerian grammar")

The O is stylized as a serpent, does that really change the meaning? Is O only O if we type it in times new Roman?
The "O" is the oroboros, a symbol that represents cycles - be it life and death, seasons, or creation and destruction. It does not stand for "O" as any other symbols would (e.g. or ) It's excessively simplistic to say that just because a symbol looks like an O it can serve as one. As mentioned, it would be like using a crucifix for a lower case T.