• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New/Old Forum - Sacred Texts, Folklore, and Mythology

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Hello denizens of the RF realm!

The former "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" has officially been moved out of the DIR zone and into "Interfaith Discussion." That forum was originally a freestyle space where anyone could chat about mythology, so we wanted to move it back into a space where that could happen; it is now called "
Sacred Texts, Folklore, and Mythology." Subforums formerly in the "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" that should remain DIRs have been migrated to other areas within the DIR area. Constructive feedback on this change is welcome!

Mindmaster

Premium Member

The former "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" has officially been moved out of the DIR zone and into "Interfaith Discussion." That forum was originally a freestyle space where anyone could chat about mythology, so we wanted to move it back into a space where that could happen. Subforums formerly in the "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" that should remain DIRs have been migrated to other areas within the DIR area. Constructive feedback on this change is welcome!

About time, it seemed a nebulous area anyway... like you couldn't post there without breaking rules, though I have seen that "the management" had been ignoring the "infraction" for quite awhile, lol.

Laika

Premium Member

The former "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" has officially been moved out of the DIR zone and into "Interfaith Discussion." That forum was originally a freestyle space where anyone could chat about mythology, so we wanted to move it back into a space where that could happen. Subforums formerly in the "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" that should remain DIRs have been migrated to other areas within the DIR area. Constructive feedback on this change is welcome!

Good decision. I hope we get more use out of it. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
We should definitely get more use out of it now that most posts in there aren't technically Rule 10 violations... lol. It is still a "no debating" area - that is the main thing folks should keep in mind about it.

I considered an "Abrahamic mythology" subforum, but I wagered that would rub some folks the wrong way even though "mythology" in the context of this forum is meant to designate the sacred stories of various religious traditions. Instead it is sneakily included in the tooltip about "Middle Eastern Mythology." :sweat:

Laika

Premium Member
We should definitely get more use out of it now that most posts in there aren't technically Rule 10 violations... lol. It is still a "no debating" area - that is the main thing folks should keep in mind about it.

I considered an "Abrahamic mythology" subforum, but I wagered that would rub some folks the wrong way even though "mythology" in the context of this forum is meant to designate the sacred stories of various religious traditions. Instead it is sneakily included in the tooltip about "Middle Eastern Mythology." :sweat:

It may be worth doing something similar with the Shinto and Confucian DIRs (under non-revealed religions). They are effectively empty space as DIRs go and don't get alot of attention but they are more "DIR"-ish in being much more specific beliefs. Shinto would fit into the mythology catagory though as japanese folk mythology.

Shinto - Wikipedia

Anyway, its just a thought. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It may be worth doing something similar with the Shinto and Confucian DIRs (under non-revealed religions). They are effectively empty space as DIRs go and don't get alot of attention but they are more "DIR"-ish in being much more specific beliefs. Shinto would fit into the mythology catagory though as japanese folk mythology.

Shinto - Wikipedia

Anyway, its just a thought. :)

That's snuck in there with the tooltip for Asian Mythology (though it lists a few countries rather than particular traditions in those countries). :D

Laika

Premium Member
That's snuck in there with the tooltip for Asian Mythology (though it lists a few countries rather than particular traditions in those countries). :D

Ah thats cool. :D It could get complicated trying to move other DIRs around so probably best to keep it as it is.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

May I ask, what constitutes as an indigenous religion? Many pagan religions are considered indigenous. So, is it for non-pagans who practice religions that aren't considered pagan?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
May I ask, what constitutes as an indigenous religion? Many pagan religions are considered indigenous. So, is it for non-pagans who practice religions that aren't considered pagan?

I'm not sure what you are asking? The old "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" straight up does not exist now. It is poof. Gone. No longer a thing. So I'm not sure why this question matters? The Sacred Texts, Folklore, and Mythology area now under Interfaith Discussion serves the purpose that the old DIR used to and was intended to serve. That's it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

The former "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" has officially been moved out of the DIR zone and into "Interfaith Discussion." That forum was originally a freestyle space where anyone could chat about mythology, so we wanted to move it back into a space where that could happen; it is now called "
Sacred Texts, Folklore, and Mythology." Subforums formerly in the "Indigenous Religions and Myth DIR" that should remain DIRs have been migrated to other areas within the DIR area. Constructive feedback on this change is welcome!
Well done.