• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Member Exchemist checking in...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings and salutations. Based on what I've read so far in this thread, you appear to be a quick study. Hope you enjoy the forum.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Greetings and salutations. Based on what I've read so far in this thread, you appear to be a quick study. Hope you enjoy the forum.
So far so good. :)

Tell me: Salix Incendium seems to mean willow heat, or fire. Is this a reference to the biblical burning bush (unlikely to have been a willow in the Arabian desert, I should have thought) or to something else?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So far so good. :)

Tell me: Salix Incendium seems to mean willow heat, or fire. Is this a reference to the biblical burning bush (unlikely to have been a willow in the Arabian desert, I should have thought) or to something else?

No biblical associations. Both my Chinese zodiac and astrological signs are fire signs. I've had an affinity for weeping willow trees since childhood and have planted at least one on every property I've owned. My first internet identity was FireWillow, but found that there were many others who did as well, so for the sake of uniqueness, I chose to go by the Latin variant.

exchemist

Veteran Member
No biblical associations. Both my Chinese zodiac and astrological signs are fire signs. I've had an affinity for weeping willow trees since childhood and have planted at least one on every property I've owned. My first internet identity was FireWillow, but found that there were many others who did as well, so for the sake of uniqueness, I chose to go by the Latin variant.
Ah OK thanks. (I used to work with salicylates at one time, so "salix" always attracts my attention.)

By the way, what is this "Media" tab at the top of the page. I see it has a red 28 next to it, suggesting there are 28 items I might want to look at, or something. I am not familiar with this feature. Can you tell me what it is for?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
By the way, what is this "Media" tab at the top of the page. I see it has a red 28 next to it, suggesting there are 28 items I might want to look at, or something. I am not familiar with this feature. Can you tell me what it is for?

The media tab is a space for images that were uploaded to the forum by members. The red 28 means there are 28 images that you haven't viewed. For each image you click on, the "unread" counter will be reduced by 1.

If the unread counter annoys you and you do not want to view the images, simply click on "media" and select "mark viewed."

exchemist

Veteran Member
You sound a lot like me.

Greetings and welcome to RF.
Tom
I suspect a great number of religiously observant people are like this, if the truth be told. But nobody dares talk about it! We are all supposed to have a neatly worked out, coherent worldview, in which we have absolute conviction. I think it's all humbug.

But as I've got older I have found religious observance gives one a lot, in spite of whatever intellectual reservations one has about doctrine.

It's all still work in progress, perhaps....

exchemist

Veteran Member
The media tab is a space for images that were uploaded to the forum by members. The red 28 means there are 28 images that you haven't viewed. For each image you click on, the "unread" counter will be reduced by 1.

If the unread counter annoys you and you do not want to view the images, simply click on "media" and select "mark viewed."
OK thanks. I'll take a look and decide.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I suspect a great number of religiously observant people are like this, if the truth be told. But nobody dares talk about it!
I quite agree.
I believe that the majority of deists are solid members of some religious community or another. It's the community that they're attached to, not the theology. Why even bring up theological issues, if it's just going to cause division and rancor?

Lots of us feel no inclination to correct other people's beliefs on the subject.
Tom

exchemist

Veteran Member
I see, this was my first exposure to him, but it took me no time as well. Unfortunately his posts can be a bit like substandard potato chips. You can't help but to respond once and then you get sucked in for a while. Eventually all that is left is a bad taste in one's mouth.
Indeed. He has a special modus operandi, which is to give, in his responses, just enough hope that progress is being made to keep the correspondent coming back for more, while simultaneously bleeding in a stream of new nonsense, requiring further dialogue, all of it ultimately leading nowhere. The idea I think is purely to keep an exchange going as long as possible. Attention-seeking, apparently. He also pretends to be female from time to time, to throw people off the scent. So dishonest as well.

On a science forum, in the main Hard Science sections, a flaming nuisance, hence the bans. Here, I suppose it matters less if a bit of sciency-sounding nonsense is going on in a remote corner. :rolleyes:

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Does he do this to wind up the Muslims and Jews on the forum, or something? :confused:

No Revoltingest just tries to live up to his username.

He uses bacon for everything, including welcome treats for newbies.....he's addicted and wants to spread it....what can I say?
sign0177.gif

We like him anyway.