• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Marshmallow test?

What would you do if you found a large sum of money had been transferred to your bank?

• Notify bank of mistake immediately.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Wait a bit to see if anything transpires.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Spend it all before the mistake is caught.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Place it quickly in some fast-returning short term investments.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Donate it all to various charities/good causes.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (if so, elaborate).

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

Heyo

Veteran Member
The most probable source of such a transfer is money laundering. The owner of that money may contact you and ask you to transfer it further (minus a generous share for you). S/he may also ask you to do it again if you comply. An easy way to make money on the side - and also illegal.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Voted notify bank immediately and find out what transpired, only after a confirmation that the money is actually mine and not an error would I do anything with it.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Seriously though, I wish you had allowed multiple choices, as I would choose three of them. I would, in this order...
  1. Notify the bank of the mistake immediately.
  2. Wait to see what transpires.
  3. Donate all of the funds to charities (if they turned out to remain mine).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Voted notify bank immediately and find out what transpired, only after a confirmation that the money is actually mine and not an error would I do anything with it.
There we go again....sharing one brain.
I like my bank, & wouldn't want an error to go uncorrected.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Considering I'd need money more than the bank, I'd wait and see what happens. Wouldn't spend a dime of it for awhile, but if nothing happened after a few months then I'd use it.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Considering I'd need money more than the bank, I'd wait and see what happens. Wouldn't spend a dime of it for awhile, but if nothing happened after a few months then I'd use it.
Wise decision. There is a period in which the sender can demand his money back (which may differ from country to country). Find out what that period is before you start spending.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Seriously though, I wish you had allowed multiple choices, as I would choose three of them. I would, in this order...
  1. Notify the bank of the mistake immediately.
  2. Wait to see what transpires.
  3. Donate all of the funds to charities (if they turned out to remain mine).

Wish granted - sorry for inconvenience. :D

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The most probable source of such a transfer is money laundering. The owner of that money may contact you and ask you to transfer it further (minus a generous share for you). S/he may also ask you to do it again if you comply. An easy way to make money on the side - and also illegal.

Could be bad money (even worse than money laundering) - such that bad men might quickly follow. :oops:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Extra Brownie points for being so honest - and perhaps a little something from the owner of the money? :praying:
A point to quibble over....
It's about honor rather than honesty.
When avoiding being defrauded, I don't owe honesty.
But others get my fiduciary responsibility.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just a quick mathematics question: if two people share one brain would that not suggest that each individual is, effectively, a half wit?

... just kidding.
Mmmfff....whuh?
I prefer to think of an analogy...
It's like time slicing in computer processing, ie,
each user has full access to the resources,
just not continuously.