• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Man of Steel on screen

Earthtank

So there was an announcement that they’re going to do a reboot of Supes with JJ Abrams directing. Only it will feature the multiverse Superman, Calvin Ellis rather than Clark Kent. I think Micheal B Jordan has supposedly got the role.

I have no problem with Calvin Ellis/Michael B Jordan as an alternate reality superman I just feel like DC has screwed up so bad with their movies that this moves comes more as a "pc" move rather than focus on the character himself. Personally, I have been calling for Michael B Jordan to be Steel, not superman because i think Henry Cavil actually did a good job given how horrible everything else went. Also, since Steel was inspired by superman I think it would be awesome to see Michael B Jordan and Henry Cavil together.

What do you think? I’m kind of excited for some “new blood” as it were. Explore different angles. Different ideas.

I like the idea but, I would rather they slow down and establish their main characters (Batman, Superman, WW and Flash) before venturing out. Look at the Marvel did, they took 10-12 years building their universe. It just feels like DCEU is rushing everything instead of taking their time. If DCEU only follows what Marvel did I think they would be in a far better position than they are today.

Which is your preferred movie/iteration of the character?

Kingdom Come Superman

Bonus question, anyone actually going to watch the infamous Snyder Cut of Justice League or has seen it if it’s already out?

Heck yeah, March 18th can't come fast enough. I have avoided every trailer and spoiler so far.

I’m curious just because of all the hype. But I dunno

Hype is one thing but, can it get any worse?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I have no problem with Calvin Ellis/Michael B Jordan as an alternate reality superman I just feel like DC has screwed up so bad with their movies that this moves comes more as a "pc" move rather than focus on the character himself. Personally, I have been calling for Michael B Jordan to be Steel, not superman because i think Henry Cavil actually did a good job given how horrible everything else went. Also, since Steel was inspired by superman I think it would be awesome to see Michael B Jordan and Henry Cavil together.
Hmm that would be a cool movie.

Well there are always going to be “ulterior motives” for movie execs. That’s just capitalism.
With the success of the Black Panther movies and Miles Morales, I could definitely see why DC would want to score some points, so to speak.
Although I’m going to remain optimistic and give the benefit of the doubt. There are “black versions” (excuse the sloppy phrasing) of pretty much every character in comics anyway. It was only a matter of time before DC adapted at least one to screen.

I like the idea but, I would rather they slow down and establish their main characters (Batman, Superman, WW and Flash) before venturing out. Look at the Marvel did, they took 10-12 years building their universe. It just feels like DCEU is rushing everything instead of taking their time. If DCEU only follows what Marvel did I think they would be in a far better position than they are today.

Yeah the DCEU is not great and it saddens me. Marvel had a long term plan. DC just wanted the mainstream success, but failed to put the actual effort in.

Heck yeah, March 18th can't come fast enough. I have avoided every trailer and spoiler so far.

Fair enough.

Hype is one thing but, can it get any worse?
Ahh, that’s a good point.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Supes was created by two Jewish writers who were writing explicitly on the experience of being an alien, right?

Since when did comics fans start actively asking for the defanging of comics anyway?
All I hear now is, oh how dare (insert comic here) comment on social issues. And I’m like, they’ve done that for like 80 years now. Wtf?
Commenting on social issues is fine, but Coates pushes a racial viewpoint I find very harmful to society and will not have anything to do with supporting. I've read his writing, well, what I bothered to read before my eyes fell out of my head. :rolleyes:

Earthtank

With the success of the Black Panther movies and Miles Morales, I could definitely see why DC would want to score some points, so to speak.

Yes but, the difference there imo is Black Panther and Miles are both originally and mainly black characters. One thing that went through my mind when I heard of Michael B Jordan as superman is "why would he accept a traditional white role?" Whether its an alternate superman or not why not take the route of the MCU and just use on of your cool black characters and give him his own movie? Kinda like steel. As a fan boy maybe I am thinking about this too logically lol and what would be cool for the fans not solely focused on the money but, I truly believe if you put all the "politics" aside and focus on the fanboys and characters the money will come. Black Panther and Miles are great examples of that.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes but, the difference there imo is Black Panther and Miles are both originally and mainly black characters. One thing that went through my mind when I heard of Michael B Jordan as superman is "why would he accept a traditional white role?" Whether its an alternate superman or not why not take the route of the MCU and just use on of your cool black characters and give him his own movie? Kinda like steel. As a fan boy maybe I am thinking about this too logically lol and what would be cool for the fans not solely focused on the money but, I truly believe if you put all the "politics" aside and focus on the fanboys and characters the money will come. Black Panther and Miles are great examples of that.

You know, don’t you think it a bit odd that one instantly thinks of a literal space alien from another planet is a “traditionally white character?”
Also if I recall my Kal-El lore correctly, doesn’t he literally absorb the sun? So why wouldn’t he have more melanin in his skin? Unless Kryptonians don’t have melanin?
I dunno. Maybe it’s because I’m used to the race swapping in casting. Nobody complained about Jason Mamoa as Aquaman despite Aquaman being a “traditionally white character.”
Micheal Clark Duncan was excellent as Kingpin in the god awful Daredevil movie. Despite the character not being black. Hell I think Marvel had to race swap Nick Fury, originally white, in the recent comics literally because of the MCU. Hell it even happens for book to film adaptations. Like in Shawshank Redemption. Ask any fan of the film and I bet they couldn’t picture anyone other than Morgan Freeman playing Red. In the novel he’s literally described as a white Irish guy

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Commenting on social issues is fine, but Coates pushes a racial viewpoint I find very harmful to society and will not have anything to do with supporting. I've read his writing, well, what I bothered to read before my eyes fell out of my head. :rolleyes:
Fair enough

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While I agree with everything about Superman (Thor, real or the Marvel imposter, isn't even that perfect and invulnerable), it's the Marvel thing. Marvel does has some awesome characters, but DC has V, John Constantine, Batman and the Joker, and Harley Quinn.
But, ultimately Marvel does have Deadpool. If it wasn't for Deadpool, DC would have the better characters.
No way.
Deadpool, Wolverine & Spiderman alone beat all of DC.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No way.
Deadpool, Wolverine & Spiderman alone beat all of DC.
Most of the time Spiderman is an insufferable twerp. I do like Wolverine, but guys with explosive rage and anger do get boring after awhile.
But Deadpool is in a league all of his own. He's not so "stiff" in his personality, and one of the few not afraid of life and living. And few can match his wit.

Earthtank

You know, don’t you think it a bit odd that one instantly thinks of a literal space alien from another planet is a “traditionally white character?”

No because its been over 75 years of superman history that we have and that's what we have gotten used to it. If you are going to go down this road you might as well start questioning every single comic book character in history as to why they are the color they are. How about Black cat (which is a white girl) from the spider verse? Had you asked this question after the first few issues then, you MIGHT (although I doubt)have point. Too late now. It's the norm and what everyone is used to. Oh and not to mention the writers and creators choose the character's origin, not you or me (the fans).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Supes was created by two Jewish writers who were writing explicitly on the experience of being an alien, right?
Fairly explicitly, yes. And one was a Canadian who emigrated to the US as a teenager, so I'm sure he also drew from that experience.

Since when did comics fans start actively asking for the defanging of comics anyway?
All I hear now is, oh how dare (insert comic here) comment on social issues. And I’m like, they’ve done that for like 80 years now. Wtf?
I imagine the people complaining are the same people who don't realize that Frankenstein is a feminist novel, or that the War of the Worlds is a critique of colonialism and imperialism.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Fairly explicitly, yes. And one was a Canadian who emigrated to the US as a teenager, so I'm sure he also drew from that experience.

Ahh, interesting.

I imagine the people complaining are the same people who don't realize that Frankenstein is a feminist novel, or that the War of the Worlds is a critique of colonialism and imperialism.
Ahh so the shallow “everything has politics in it and that make me mad” crowd?
I swear those fake nerds give me second hand embarrassment. I was close to being one when I was a “chud.” Glad I left that pit of anti intellectualism.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
No because its been over 75 years of superman history that we have and that's what we have gotten used to it. If you are going to go down this road you might as well start questioning every single comic book character in history as to why they are the color they are. How about Black cat (which is a white girl) from the spider verse? Had you asked this question after the first few issues then, you MIGHT (although I doubt)have point. Too late now. It's the norm and what everyone is used to. Oh and not to mention the writers and creators choose the character's origin, not you or me (the fans).
Ehh, Isn’t that essentially an appeal to tradition, though?
Who cares if that’s what everyone is used to. Portrayals change. Time was that people were used to black face. I’m not saying that’s the same thing of course. But why just lazily uphold tradition because it’s comfortable? Spice things up, I say.

I know why a lot of characters are white. Writers write from their own experience. So obviously they would make their hero’s look the same way they do.
I wouldn’t care if Superman or Batman was played by a black man. Harvey Dent/Two Face was played by Billy Dee Williams, a black guy in the 89 Batman movie. If I remember correctly. Despite him not being black like anywhere else. Including the rest of the franchise now that I think of it.
I wonder how that would play out today.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Frankenstein is a feminist novel
Out of everything Frankenstein is, it's sad that one typically does get ignored (as do the strong parallels between that and Paradise Lost).
But, instead, all people know is a monster and a name they confuse, completely erasing what the story actually is in the public mind.

You say this, but Stan Lee didn't have an issue with making multiple versions of the same characters.
Yes but, the difference there imo is Black Panther and Miles are both originally and mainly black characters. One thing that went through my mind when I heard of Michael B Jordan as superman is "why would he accept a traditional white role?"
Who gives a **** the race of the actor playing the role?
Not I, said the Wolf. It worked well in Hannibal, I thought.

Ahh so the shallow “everything has politics in it and that make me mad” crowd?
I swear those fake nerds give me second hand embarrassment. I was close to being one when I was a “chud.” Glad I left that pit of anti intellectualism.
Yeah. Like the X-Men cartoon from the 90s. It was basically Civil Rights, AIDs, and LGBT all wrapped up into one. Which is basically what the X-Men has always been, though the Disney movies have moved away from that.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No because its been over 75 years of superman history that we have and that's what we have gotten used to it.
Funny.

Do you have any idea how much Superman has changed over the years?

He originally couldn't even fly. For the first ~60 years of Superman's history, it was established that Clark Kent and Lois Lane wouldn't marry. In some eras, he only started wearing the costume and fighting crime as an adult in Metropolis; in other eras, as a kid in Smallville.

There have been plenty of things about Superman that people "got used to" that were then changed.

I think it's telling what people will accept or not:

- "Superman's secret layer has suddenly changed from just outside Metropolis to the arctic? Oh, and sometimes it will be in the jungle instead? No problem."

- "Suddenly there's something called 'kryptonite' that can drain Superman of his powers? Sure. Oh - and now there are a bunch of other kinds of kryptonite that do other things? Sounds reasonable."

- "Superman was originally supposed to be the only survivor of Krypton, but now there's Zod, Supergirl, and a bunch of others? Okay. I'll go with it."

- "Superman is black now? Whoa, whoa, WHOA! That makes no sense at all!"

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Funny.

Do you have any idea how much Superman has changed over the years?

He originally couldn't even fly. For the first ~60 years of Superman's history, it was established that Clark Kent and Lois Lane wouldn't marry. In some eras, he only started wearing the costume and fighting crime as an adult in Metropolis; in other eras, as a kid in Smallville.

There have been plenty of things about Superman that people "got used to" that were then changed.

I think it's telling what people will accept or not:

- "Superman's secret layer has suddenly changed from just outside Metropolis to the arctic? Oh, and sometimes it will be in the jungle instead? No problem."

- "Suddenly there's something called 'kryptonite' that can drain Superman of his powers? Sure. Oh - and now there are a bunch of other kinds of kryptonite that do other things? Sounds reasonable."

- "Superman was originally supposed to be the only survivor of Krypton, but now there's Zod, Supergirl, and a bunch of others? Okay. I'll go with it."

- "Superman is black now? Whoa, whoa, WHOA! That makes no sense at all!"
Yeah. I have to admit when people complain about change in comic book characters or their adaptations, I do feel the urge to do the whole
“Well actually” shtick. Because comics have always been fluid. Batman originally killed people and wore purple gloves....for some reason. Like stuff just changes. That’s just what a comics fan would or should come to expect.
In my childhood alone I saw like 50 reinterpretations of Batman alone
(yes I have an obsession. Sue me)
I mean Batman the Animated series from the 90s literally influenced the following comics. Creating Harley Quinn and the backstory for Freeze. Which continue to be staples among the fandom to this day

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my childhood alone I saw like 50 reinterpretations of Batman alone
(yes I have an obsession. Sue me)
Things must be shaken up, lest the public become
bored with the characters. Some day there'll be.....
Trans-Wonder Woman
White Panther

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Things must be shaken up, lest the public become
bored with the characters. Some day there'll be.....
Trans-Wonder Woman
White Panther
No joke, one of the early variants of Captain Marvel is actually a black woman called Monica Rambeau.
Monica Rambeau
Which is a character that has a very varied history. Even spanning across rival comics (DCs Shazam.)
I don’t know if White Panther would be accepted, given his explicit history. Superman is not explicitly white in the same manner (he wasn’t born in a European country. He’s a space alien.)
And Wonder Woman has so many variants I’m honestly shocked they haven’t gone a trans route. Though for some reason I always assumed she was gay. Or at least bisexual, given the media coverage of her. I mean she lives in a matriarchal society filled with strong buff women. Just saying

Last edited: