• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Information to Refute Your Beliefs

New scientific theory has just been introduced that conflicts with my beliefs. I will

• amend my beliefs to align with the new information.

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • create another interpretation of scripture to conform with the new information.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • find holes in the theory to prove my beliefs are correct.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stay the course and defend my beliefs. After all, science is just presumptions and guesswork.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • tell Salix he really needs to rethink his outfit. His fashion sense is deplorable.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • do something else that I will explain below.

Votes: 16 45.7%

• Total voters

illykitty

RF's pet cat
I update my views because my spirituality is composed of metaphors for the natural world, so it's not in any way impacted by advances in our understanding.

As I see things, there's basically two sides of the coin:
There's an objective aspect, which can be observed, tested and better understood, via the tool we call science.
Then the subjective aspect is how the world impacts us on a personal level, how we see it and so on.

I'm not against myths, legends, storytelling or having a spiritual perspective... It falls under the subjective aspect, that's what I call my religious views. To explain it in simple terms, you could call them a collection of metaphors and lenses. It doesn't explain how nature works, it's all about how it makes me feel. Since it's a personal thing, I wouldn't impose it on others, it would make no sense.

I personally have an issue with religions that attempt to call their myths an accurate representation of reality and try to impose their stories and ethics it on everyone.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, I'll admit, the title of the thread borders on clickbait.

But anyway...

A new scientific theory was just revealed that refutes truths in your current belief structure. What do you do?

Let's be clear on the definition of scientific theory...

"A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested, in accordance with the scientific method, using a predefined protocol of observation and experiment."

Scientific theory - Wikipedia

And further, scientific method...

[Scientific method is] a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

scientific method - Google Search
Information might cause me to look in a different direction. Facts. I don't need belief for facts.

dianaiad

I can't honestly think of a scientific theory that COULD come along and prove that my beliefs are wrong. Science and religion are two entirely different fields....it would be like asking me what I would do if someone composed a song with musical notes that disproved gravity.

wait.

what?

The only time that religion clashes with 'science' is when science goes beyond the 'how,' or describing processes, and attempts to explain the 'why,' or when religion steps away from the 'why' and attempts to dictate 'how."

Like measuring the temperature of a lake with an odometer. Doesn't work. Wrong tools.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A new scientific theory was just revealed that refutes truths in your current belief structure. What do you do?
I'm a materialist; what I know at any time is what science knows at that time.

Changes to our basic understanding are some of the most exciting things science brings.

The process isn't threatening to me. I love it.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

When I see the word "theory" I understand it to mean "guess". A theory has not been proven to be completely true in all cases. I would not change anything about my beliefs.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
When I see the word "theory" I understand it to mean "guess". A theory has not been proven to be completely true in all cases. I would not change anything about my beliefs.
That is only because you have no training or knowledge of scientific method. To a scientist a theory is the construct that is the closest to being what you would call a "fact."

Last edited:

Ponder This

When they came out with their theory that eating butter was bad for you... I kept eating butter even though they said Margarine was good for you.
When they came out with their theory about fat, I ignored them.
When they came with their theory of saturated fats, I ignored them.
When they came out with their theory of trans fats, I ignored them. O, and it turned out margarine isn't good for you... good thing I never ate margarine when they tried to sell me on the idea that butter was bad.
When they came out with their theory of Omega 3, I thought, "that's nice, I guess I already eat that," and then I ignored them.

Having a scientific theory just isn't going to do it for me. Scientific Theory is a dime a dozen these days. It probably needs to stand a test of time before it significantly alters any long standing belief I've held.

So, let's say they come out tomorrow with a "ground-breaking" new Scientific Theory backed by experiments conducted according to the scientific method that somehow disprove my personal beliefs...

First Question: What are they trying to sell me?

Because scientific research used to explain the benefits of smoking cigarettes.
It isn't that meaningful unless it holds up over time.

This is the difference between thinking your smart and being wise.

David T

Premium Member

But anyway...

"A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can be repeatedly tested, in accordance with the scientific method, using a predefined protocol of observation and experiment."

[Scientific method is] a method of procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses.

a book cult is a very agreeable group.
funny-science-faith-book-Bible-comic.jpg

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member

But anyway...

I'll just move to another forum. They're all a bunch of morons anyway. Where's my bat and ball? I'm goin home.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
If it's a new theory, I'm probably going to;
1) Initially be unaware of it.
2) Become aware of it, but ignore it, since I might not understand the level of evidence it contains.
3) Toss it around with friends, or here, or similar.
4) Do some reading and be confused.
5) Do some more reading and get some level of basic understanding.
6) Incorporate into worldview.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
You need a new outfit Sali. Your fashion sense is deplorable.

I can't say for sure. I would have to study the new evidence and theory and make a decision then. There is no way to say for sure I would accept or deny it ahead of time.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
This is why us theists have to realize at the end of the day that if a god wanted to give us its will and have this will be spread to all of human kind it could imply do so itself. Plain and simple.

Akivah

It's irrelevant. G-d can't be found in a test tube. I really don't understand why some people keep trying to conflate science with religion. They are two different schools of thought.

Just as science can't measure our souls, neither can it observe or experiment on G-d.