• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New human ancestor classified - Homo bodoensis

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
10-29-2021, 11:08 AM

Source: Newly named human species may be the direct ancestor of modern humans

Newly named human species may be the direct ancestor of modern humans

homo bodoensis lived more than half a million years ago.

Scientists have named a new species that may have been the direct ancestor of modern humans.

The newly proposed species, Homo bodoensis — which lived more than half a million years ago in Africa — may help to untangle how human lineages moved and interacted across the globe.

Although modern humans, Homo sapiens, are the only surviving human lineage, other human species once roamed Earth. For example, scientists recently discovered that the Indonesian island Flores was once home to the extinct species Homo floresiensis, often known as "the hobbit" for its miniature body.

Deciding whether a set of ancient human fossils belongs to one species or another is often a challenging problem open to heated debate. For instance, some researchers suggest that skeletal differences between modern humans and Neanderthals mean they were different species. However, other scientists argue that because there is recent abundant genetic evidence that modern humans and Neanderthals once interbred and had fertile, viable offspring, Neanderthals should not be considered a single species.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Will there the "homo bozoensis" ever be found?
Two early hominids side by side....
12762-d416.jpg

exchemist

Veteran Member

Scientists have named a new species that may have been the direct ancestor of modern humans.

The newly proposed species, Homo bodoensis — which lived more than half a million years ago in Africa — may help to untangle how human lineages moved and interacted across the globe.

Although modern humans, Homo sapiens, are the only surviving human lineage, other human species once roamed Earth. For example, scientists recently discovered that the Indonesian island Flores was once home to the extinct species Homo floresiensis, often known as "the hobbit" for its miniature body.

Deciding whether a set of ancient human fossils belongs to one species or another is often a challenging problem open to heated debate. For instance, some researchers suggest that skeletal differences between modern humans and Neanderthals mean they were different species. However, other scientists argue that because there is recent abundant genetic evidence that modern humans and Neanderthals once interbred and had fertile, viable offspring, Neanderthals should not be considered a single species.
Aha, now I understand where @Bodie got his handle from.:D

Azrael Antilla

Taxononic classification has always been composed of two oppositional groups. Lumpers and splitters. Personally. I am inclined to consider Neanderthals to be a distinct but sister species to archaic homo sapiens. After all, reproductive capacity is not the only determinative factor that describes a population group as a discrete species or not. Wolves and Dogs for example can interbreed and are genetically speaking, practically identical. However they are considered separate species, because, they are geographically isolated from each other. Without a living population group of Neanderthals to study. It's very much a case of educated guess work, to determine just how similar or dissimilar Sapiens and Neanderthals are to each other psychologically culturally and linguistically. Anatomically, there are of course significant differences, the Neanderthal skeleton is considerably more robust, the chest cavity has greater volume (a cold weather trait) and other factors. Apologies if this is all bread and butter for you!

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Taxononic classification has always been composed of two oppositional groups. Lumpers and splitters. Personally. I am inclined to consider Neanderthals to be a distinct but sister species to archaic homo sapiens. After all, reproductive capacity is not the only determinative factor that describes a population group as a discrete species or not. Wolves and Dogs for example can interbreed and are genetically speaking, practically identical. However they are considered separate species, because, they are geographically isolated from each other. Without a living population group of Neanderthals to study. It's very much a case of educated guess work, to determine just how similar or dissimilar Sapiens and Neanderthals are to each other psychologically culturally and linguistically. Anatomically, there are of course significant differences, the Neanderthal skeleton is considerably more robust, the chest cavity has greater volume (a cold weather trait) and other factors. Apologies if this is all bread and butter for you!

Recent human ancestors like Neanderthals and Denisovans are best described as sub-species and not species, The present view of human evolution as well as all evolution is that evolution takes place among a diversity and variations of related groups and not from one species evolving into another. The concept of 'specie' has been becoming more and more difficult to specifically define. Science can at one point in time describe what ir calls species, but over time the concept of what is a species becomes foggy, As more fossils are found the evolution of the primate ancestors may become clearer.

Anothe species (sub-species?) has been proposed as an ancestor od Home Sapiens, Neanderthals and Denisovans, based on fossil evidence called H. antecessor.
See: AAAS

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

They must be the sexy ones.

Azrael Antilla

Recent human ancestors like Neanderthals and Denisovans are best described as sub-species and not species, The present view of human evolution as well as all evolution is that evolution takes place among a diversity and variations of related groups and not from one species evolving into another. The concept of 'specie' has been becoming more and more difficult to specifically define. Science can at one point in time describe what ir calls species, but over time the concept of what is a species becomes foggy, As more fossils are found the evolution of the primate ancestors may become clearer.

Anothe species (sub-species?) has been proposed as an ancestor od Home Sapiens, Neanderthals and Denisovans, based on fossil evidence called H. antecessor.
See: AAAS
Certainly I would argue that if Neanderthals/Denisovans were extant today, they would be entitled to all applicable human rights. They would be legally human.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There you go, changing the science again:D:rolleyes:

Well, someone had to say it. I don't think that creationists will ever understand that getting more accurate in our understanding is a good thing.

Azrael Antilla

There you go, changing the science again:D:rolleyes:

Well, someone had to say it. I don't think that creationists will ever understand that getting more accurate in our understanding is a good thing.
Creationists deal in article of faith. Not scientific evidence or theory derived from said evidence. I see no constructive reason to entertain untestable creationist hypothesis.

Azrael Antilla

Actually the word that properly describes their approach is "delusion". Just as one would say about a gravity denier or a Flat Earther.
I appreciate the sentiment. However it was drilled into me mercilessly for 6 years that one frames responses as unemotionally invested and thus objectively as possible. Any hint of emotional input immediately and ruthlessly corrected! (Law school and training).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I appreciate the sentiment. However it was drilled into me mercilessly for 6 years that one frames responses as unemotionally invested and thus objectively as possible. Any hint of emotional input immediately and ruthlessly corrected! (Law school and training).
Unfortunately we will probably both have the same success rate of convincing creationists of their errors. I have tried the polite route to no avail. So lately I may have been just a tad snarky. I hope that it doesn't show:oops:

Azrael Antilla

Unfortunately we will probably both have the same success rate of convincing creationists of their errors. I have tried the polite route to no avail. So lately I may have been just a tad snarky. I hope that it doesn't show:oops:
I assure you, that your frustration is entirely understable and justifiable even. I too have to suppress the snark. It's not always easy I know. However, it's true that the language we use, has all kinds of consequences and implications. Ultimately self defeating sometimes, since in my experience, the more you berate a fool for his or her foolishness, the more they will dig in. Humans... I dunno.