• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Here! A Little About Myself.

Hello everyone! I hope to have many deep and fruitful conversations with my peers here. I was raised protestant (Lutheran under ELCA) but didn't attend Church much as a family. In school I studied a few religions peripherally like Taoism, Hinduism, and a lot of old world religions. Eventually I came to the perspective of being an Agnostic Theist. I believed there must be a creator but I didn't know the nature of such a creator. Years later I married into the Roman Catholic Church and spent 2 years studying Catholicism and meeting with Priests and learned people of the faith and settled into being a Catholic. I still consider myself a Catholic and I do works with the Knights of Columbus, but I find myself doubtful of the faith and religion in general again. I find myself slipping into a sort of existential dread where I think nothing has any purpose and life itself is meaningless. I come here among you all hoping to find peers to have deep meaningful conversations with so that I might find answers that can settle both my heart and mind. Wishing you all a good day!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I always have the adage that you just do it till you can't do it anymore.

Welcome to the rabble. ;O)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Greetings and salutations. Welcome to the forum. I hope you find what you're looking for here. :)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Hello everyone! I hope to have many deep and fruitful conversations with my peers here. I was raised protestant (Lutheran under ELCA) but didn't attend Church much as a family. In school I studied a few religions peripherally like Taoism, Hinduism, and a lot of old world religions. Eventually I came to the perspective of being an Agnostic Theist. I believed there must be a creator but I didn't know the nature of such a creator. Years later I married into the Roman Catholic Church and spent 2 years studying Catholicism and meeting with Priests and learned people of the faith and settled into being a Catholic. I still consider myself a Catholic and I do works with the Knights of Columbus, but I find myself doubtful of the faith and religion in general again. I find myself slipping into a sort of existential dread where I think nothing has any purpose and life itself is meaningless. I come here among you all hoping to find peers to have deep meaningful conversations with so that I might find answers that can settle both my heart and mind. Wishing you all a good day!
Good day,

I grew up a catholic, in my teens started attending different churches, did new age, love the Tao. I first found myself rebelling against religion and classified myself as an Atheist for a short time but have settled on Agnostic theist. I started going to the catholic church again but for socialization, charity and familiarity. I have come to realize that all religions are man made and as such have problems. I ignore the autocratic teachings of the church and concentrate on my own beliefs.

Good day,

I grew up a catholic, in my teens started attending different churches, did new age, love the Tao. I first found myself rebelling against religion and classified myself as an Atheist for a short time but have settled on Agnostic theist. I started going to the catholic church again but for socialization, charity and familiarity. I have come to realize that all religions are man made and as such have problems. I ignore the autocratic teachings of the church and concentrate on my own beliefs.

A kindred spirit indeed. Sounds very similar to myself. I love the community and the intention of my church. I like helping out in the community and getting together to improve ourselves towards a higher ideal. I however take issue with a lot of specific things, especially where the church is so adamant about them. Things like being against contraceptives or the Eucharist turning the bread and wine into LITERALLY the body & blood of Christ. I love the ideal of Christ and the high standard the church holds itself to, but if something defies logic and my basic senses you will have to do an awful lot to convince me of it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Shalom and welcome. I know what you speak about with the existential dread, but hopefully you can find a way to help handle that. Enjoy the forum :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Welcome to RF, enjoy the ride.

Even if you cannot find what you are looking for i think you will find it interesting, informative and fun.

Audie

Veteran Member

Hi Seeking-

And welcome.

Being an atheist does not mean nothing has purpose or that
life is meaningless.

That ol' existential dread stuff is a brain trap, a bit
childish. Kind of like asking "why?" to each response.

And then getting upset that the answers run out so
fast.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

No fun allowed!

bd8c606b714afd642ecabde470c209d4918b19cc4052bd333fbdb44dad7ed52d.jpg

Being an atheist does not mean nothing has purpose or that
life is meaningless.

Well I didn't mention atheism or say that I thought that about atheism.

That ol' existential dread stuff is a brain trap, a bit
childish. Kind of like asking "why?" to each response.

Perhaps there is truth to this.

However, I would also argue that accepting the premise that nothing whatsoever has any greater meaning and therefore we should STOP asking "why?" to each new question is also potentially "childish". I ask "why?" because my soul burns with the question of why it all exists and whether or not any of it means anything or not. I think simply accepting that nothing has meaning because it is convenient to do so and because of a lack of evidence to the contrary is perhaps just lazy.

From an atheistic perspective I can see the lack of a need to answer the question of "why?" because from that perspective there's no NEED for a why. I am the type of person who seeks out knowledge and information so if I were an atheist my big question would probably be "how?" rather than "why?". From a theistic perspective the idea of a creator answers the "how?" but introduces the "why?"

Childish could perhaps be fitting term, but as someone who sits up at night wondering about the nature of reality I can't simply just shrug my shoulders and forget about it all and go back to my day job in the matrix, I'll always wonder.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
welcome to RF

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Welcome here to RF!

Let me mention that your questioning of Catholicism is actually good as the Church teaches what it believes to be correct but you as a Catholic have the right of discernment as a Catholic.

As an example, I reconverted back to Catholicism this last summer, telling the priest that it is my orientation to question just about anything and everything because of my science background but that I can at least commit myself to doing the best I can even with all my questioning.

as a Catholic have the right of discernment

So this specific term I'd never encountered. Thank you for introducing it to me.

Prior to our marriage I actually didn't think I'd become a Catholic. But I worked for a year during the RCIA process with priest (who passed away before the end of my RCIA class, I miss him deeply.) on learning Catholicism. We connected very well and he had great answers for pretty much any question I could come up with. He encouraged doubts and questioning. He considered them natural and healthy and I really thought it was a breath of fresh air and I doubt I would have become Catholic if not for him. I find most Catholics to not be so open to questions of the faith and church.... but I am afraid to openly question things like the Immaculate Conception of Mary because it's such a central part of the faith. I love the community and I love the church, but I feel scared that if I question some of these teachings I'll be effectively outcast from the church.