• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Covid treatment that works!!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
The key portion of the text might be: "The results have not been published in a peer-reviewed journal, nor has the full data been made available; so the BBC cannot confirm the claims made for the treatment."

We've already had several claims of amazing cures/treatments that have dissipated by the time the research is published and replication attempted...

Sounds promising, but we'll see...

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Its a release from the company that did the study, if they are performing some massive fraud to manipulate stock prices then maybe you have a point, but I consider that highly unlikely, anyway I'm sure we will soon hear more information.

The amazing cures that turned out to be flops were not proper double blind scientific studies like this was, and relied on mostly anecdotal evidence, like the multiple Chloroquinine studies that were released.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
From the article:

What do other experts say?
Expert in emergency medicine Prof Steve Goodacre, from the University of Sheffield, said: "These results are not interpretable. We need the full details and, perhaps more importantly, the trial protocol. The trial should have been registered and a protocol made available before any analysis was undertaken."

Prof Naveed Sattar, professor of metabolic medicine at the University of Glasgow, said: "The results seem very impressive, and although accepted that the trial is small with just over 100 participants, a 79% reduction in disease severity could be a game changer.

"It would be good to see the full results once presented and peer-reviewed to make sure they are robust and the trial conduct was rigorous. Also, with small numbers comes less certainty on the true level of benefit, or whether benefits vary between people with differing risk characteristics. Such work would require a larger trial but, even so, these results are very exciting."

IF they actually did a good study...IF the results continue in a larger controlled setting...IF....IF...

So far, the company has not shared its protocol, data, or analysis with anyone, choosing instead to publish by press release...

Lyndon

Premium Member
my dads a research scientist that's worked for the NIH, he says the likely reason for not registering the study is so that they don't have to release the results if they turned out to be ineffective, and hence negatively effect their stock, the assumption is that they will publish the results, several covid drug studies started out this way with drug company's press releases and then later the whole study was released. In fact I think this was the case with Remisdivir

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cold fusion was extremely promising....until
others tried & failed to duplicate the results.
I'll wait for confirmation before getting excited.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
First sentence of the article:

"The preliminary results of a clinical trial suggest a new treatment for Covid-19 reduces the number of patients needing intensive care, according to the UK company that developed it."​

Lyndon

Premium Member
If Synairgen's Interferon study was a complete fraud, and not true, I believe they would be liable for securities fraud, attempting to manipulate the value of their stock, they already went to the trouble of keeping the study secret in case it was a failure, but releasing fake results to make their stock go up is illegal, I'm pretty sure of that. So I think there is a very good chance their drug is effective, although possibly not quite to the extent they are claiming, but maybe so.

Remember the early claims of Remedsivir were an identical statement from the company, not peer reviewed, with no data, that was followed by proper scientific result some weeks later, I trust similar will happen here.

Rational Agnostic

New study released out of UK of new treatment that really works wonders, even though this is a very small sample size, it obviously needs to be further studied on bigger groups, 79% effective

Covid treatment trial described as 'breakthrough'

Actually, 101 is generally a large enough sample size for this to indicate conclusive results, assuming the patients were selected randomly. So definitely very encouraging.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I checked with my sister, a medical doctor, she said it was very interesting and the study was big enough for a first look, and very good it was true double blind, she said interferon doesn't kill viruses, it boosts the bodies immune system so your own immune system can kill the virus, and that while Interferon pill form has major side effects, using it in a nebuliser may avoid some of those side effects.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
New study released out of UK of new treatment that really works wonders, even though this is a very small sample size, it obviously needs to be further studied on bigger groups, 79% effective

Covid treatment trial described as 'breakthrough'

It's definitely great news to hear. Very encouraging and hopefully will help in preserving many more lives.

Fingers always crossed.