• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New COVID 19 restrictions in Jewish New York City neighborhoods

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with @rosends but I can't deny the fact that from what I've heard in the news, Cuomo and de Blasio's management of the NYC lockdowns has been incredibly hypocritical. BLM protests are perfectly okay but people can't go worship even with restrictions? There's similar outrage here in Israel, though we've only had one religious protest, if I remember correctly, and that one was done following the proper guidelines and wasn't even in relation to the virus. Memorably, during the first lockdown, when protests were given the okay, a religious guy in Beit El figured out this could be used as a loophole to allow prayer, so he requested and got official permission to hold a "protest" there on erev Shabbat. The police, however, figured out what he was doing, and put an end to it (I don't remember how, but it was some sort of reverse loophole).

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I agree with @rosends but I can't deny the fact that from what I've heard in the news, Cuomo and de Blasio's management of the NYC lockdowns has been incredibly hypocritical. BLM protests are perfectly okay but people can't go worship even with restrictions?
I would not characterize the protests as "perfectly ok" but as urgently necessary. I am not sure that the actions of many in the Orthodox Jewish community in all cases rose to that level.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I would not characterize the protests as "perfectly ok" but as urgently necessary.
Although I never stated it outright, I think you've just proven my point. When public health policy become political, people who disagree with the political aspect will disagree with the health policy. I'll bet many Orthodox Jews thought the BLM riots were unnecessary and extremely ironic in terms of both the general public health policy enacted by NY, NYC and much of the rest of the US, and because of what happens when a Jewish person ל"ע gets murdered in the US (or anywhere else in the world, for that matter).
(and if you happen to be wondering what's political about these particular racism-based protests/riots, then I'll be a little speechless, because you're the one living right now in the US, not I...:disrelieved:)
I am not sure that the actions of many in the Orthodox Jewish community in all cases rose to that level.
Once again, I never said that what they did was alright. I said that the outrage was/is logical.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
That, too, is a serious problem.
I don't see how. Recent events around the country bring to mind things like the Crown Heights Riots or the fairly recent Jersey City Shooting, or even worse things. Then again, we're on opposite sides of the political spectrum (although according to the political compass quiz I'm actually a leftist. Apparently it's because of my Torah-based economic views...).