• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New calling!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Wow. My husband and I were just asked to go over to the Stake President's office. Of course we were trying to figure out what in the world it was all about, and we pretty much concluded that we were going to be asked to head up the stake's Live Nativity activity this Christmas. Neither of us wanted to do it. We've been involved in it twice before and it's so stressful for me that it practically ruins my holiday. Not to mention the fact that standing outside in the cold at night for two or three hours is just flat out miserable.

Whatever. That's all a moot point, because we were called instead to a three-year assignment serving as Sunday School teachers at the Salt Lake County Jail! You could have knocked both of us over with a feather. We said "yes," though -- and I'm not one of those people who says "yes" to every calling. This is going to be really, really interesting!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Hope it goes well for you both.

Is this a big move for y'all?
Is it a permanent position....or for three years...or what?

Jane.Doe

NICE!

My grandpa's current calling it to ... ok, I'm struggle to remember the specifics. He's (a totally noncriminal) is somehow involved serving in a jail group each week. He majorly enjoys it.

My sister's ward works with a local JV, and her calling to to host firesides every other month for them. She all majorly enjoys that.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hope it goes well for you both.
Thanks. :)

Is this a big move for y'all?
Well, it's going to be a very interesting experience, I suspect. It's nothing like I've ever done before. Apparently men from all different Christian denominations, other religions, and no religion at all attend these classes -- just to feed a spiritual need I think we all have.

Is it a permanent position....or for three years...or what?
It's just for three years, at which time we'll be "released" (sounds funny, because of the "jail" context, but that's the term that is used whenever you finish filling a calling in any position of service). Meanwhile, we won't be attending our own ward (i.e. congregation) on Sundays because we'll be at the jail instead.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
NICE!

My grandpa's current calling it to ... ok, I'm struggle to remember the specifics. He's (a totally noncriminal) is somehow involved serving in a jail group each week. He majorly enjoys it.

My sister's ward works with a local JV, and her calling to to host firesides every other month for them. She all majorly enjoys that.
Well, we were told that everyone who has ever served in this capacity really loves it, so I'm kind of excited actually.

Jane.Doe

It's just for three years, at which time we'll be "released" (sounds funny, because of the "jail" context, but that's the term that is used whenever you finish filling a calling in any position of service). Meanwhile, we won't be attending our own ward (i.e. congregation) on Sundays because we'll be at the jail instead.
That actually sounds exactly like my Grandpa's calling.

Jumi

Giving people in jail a feel from the outside and making them notice they're not completely forgotten. Sounds good !

Jane.Doe

It's probably the same thing. Has it been a good experience for him? And where does he live?
He's had a great experience. They're like ~2 years in of the three.
His jail is... I want to say it's in SLC and not in his town of West Jordan. If you want I can ask him-- it could be a cool "it's a small world" connection :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
He's had a great experience. They're like ~2 years in of the three.
His jail is... I want to say it's in SLC and not in his town of West Jordan. If you want I can ask him-- it could be a cool "it's a small world" connection :)
Yes, I think it's the same place. I may end up getting to know him! DM me with him name.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I'm excited. This is exactly the kind of calling I like. We haven't heard yet as to when we'll be starting, but I would imagine it will be later this month.
Just curious how your new calling is going.

Best,

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Just curious how your new calling is going.

Best,
It is beyond amazing. I truly belong in jail! :) I was worried, going in the first time, that I wouldn't be able to even make eye-contact with the men, much less relate to them. They are so down-to-earth and humble; I genuinely feel something for them I've never felt before. I actually told a member of my bishopric (in my home ward) that if they ever try to release me, they're going to have to excommunicate me first. ;) Thanks for asking.

Clear

Premium Member
It is beyond amazing. I truly belong in jail! :) I was worried, going in the first time, that I wouldn't be able to even make eye-contact with the men, much less relate to them. They are so down-to-earth and humble; I genuinely feel something for them I've never felt before. I actually told a member of my bishopric (in my home ward) that if they ever try to release me, they're going to have to excommunicate me first. ;) Thanks for asking.

Hi katzpur - long time no see.

Though I have practiced pediatrics for the last 24 years, I delivered medical care to inmates in a prison for 5 years. It was one of the most interesting things I have done. I had a mixture of the "regular" inmates and those who were trying to improve. It was fascinating to see the difference in insight and progression between the two groups. while the experience simply cemented dark values in some "career" inmates and became an educational system where one learned from others how to be better, more efficient criminals, there were others who gained insight and humility through the experience. I loved the insight and interesting nature of the milieu in the prison population. The experience caused a lot of self-reflection as to how I was to treat "the least of us".

I am glad you are enjoying your experience. See you Katzpur. (haben Sie das film, "Der Martian" gesehen?).

See you Katz
Clear (Gary)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hi katzpur - long time no see.

Though I have practiced pediatrics for the last 24 years, I delivered medical care to inmates in a prison for 5 years. It was one of the most interesting things I have done. I had a mixture of the "regular" inmates and those who were trying to improve. It was fascinating to see the difference in insight and progression between the two groups. while the experience simply cemented dark values in some "career" inmates and became an educational system where one learned from others how to be better, more efficient criminals, there were others who gained insight and humility through the experience. I loved the insight and interesting nature of the milieu in the prison population. The experience caused a lot of self-reflection as to how I was to treat "the least of us".

I am glad you are enjoying your experience. See you Katzpur.
The experiences has truly been an answer to my prayers, and I'm loving every minute of it. Of course, since no one is required to attend our Sunday School classes, we are only really interacting with those who are trying to improve. I guess there are others who simply have no desire to make an effort, but I am genuinely impressed by the ones we've met.

Last Sunday, we were assigned to one of the hospital units. The inmates there may have either physical or mental illnesses, so we were a little bit hesitant as to how well we'd be able to connect with them. It wasn't actually all that different from our other experiences with the "normal" inmates -- except for one thing: The brother who offered to give the opening prayer incorporated the Pledge of Allegiance as part of the prayer. That pretty much took me off guard!

(haben Sie das film, "Der Martian" gesehen?).
Mit Matt Damen? Ya! Du hast es mir empfohlen.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This past Sunday, we showed this 5-minute video in our Sunday School class at the jail. It's called "Infant, Holy Infant." I don't think there was a dry eye in the room by the time it ended, and one of the inmates said to me, "If you can cry in front of twelve men, so can I!" What really struck me about the video was how accurately it mirrored the overall experience we're having at the jail.

Last edited: