• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Australian Vaccination Policy

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
As I said before i'm susceptible to Hep B and cannot be vaccinated against it. The more people who choose not to be vaccinated results in a higher risk of one of them coming into contact with me as a carrier.

No one can be vaccinated against aides either.... there are ways to protect yourself.

If ever they come up with a vaccine for aids, you watch the scare campaign....there are ways to protect ourselves but they will have us believe vaccination is the only way.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
No, apparently the vaccinated population are still at risk of contracting virus's from those who are not vaccinated.

Weird huh? o_O

Sigh. You realise some people cannot have vaccines right? A vaccine in many cases is a small dose of the drug. People who are highly susceptible can't have these small doses and thus cannot be vaccinated against it.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
No one can be vaccinated against aides either.... there are ways to protect yourself.

If ever they come up with a vaccine for aids, you watch the scare campaign....there are ways to protect ourselves but they will have us believe vaccination is the only way.

People like you are the reason why the government is doing the right thing!

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Incorrect: HPV Vaccine Information For Young Women

An appeal to emotion, yawn.

Asking for such a thing is idiotic and unrealistic. That is not how medicine works.

A lot of things change in 25 years. I was born in a small New Zealand town.

idiotic and unrealistic to ask for medicine which is 100% safe... thats 'not how it works'

Ok well thats precisely why many people are against being forced to take vaccines. If something carries risks it should not be compulsory and every person should be making well informed decisions on their healthcare.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Sigh. You realise some people cannot have vaccines right? A vaccine in many cases is a small dose of the drug. People who are highly susceptible can't have these small doses and thus cannot be vaccinated against it.

Yeah, because it would endanger their health. But would it kill you to take the vaccine just to be on the safeside... afterall, vaccines are only harmful to a very small % of the population and the risk is minimal, right?

Do you see the very argument you are making is faulty because its a risk to you... but you still think everyone else should have it. Sorry mate, im not buying.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
idiotic and unrealistic to ask for medicine which is 100% safe... thats 'not how it works'

Ok well thats precisely why many people are against being forced to take vaccines. If something carries risks it should not be compulsory and every person should be making well informed decisions on their healthcare.

Medicine is not an exact science. Risks are very low. You take a greater risk driving to work. Be reasonable.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Medicine is not an exact science. Risks are very low. You take a greater risk driving to work. Be reasonable.

at least when i'm driving to work i'm the one behind the wheel directing the car. When i take a vaccine, i'm letting someone else drive the car.

I'm a person of faith, but not that much faith!

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Yeah, because it would endanger their health. But would it kill you to take the vaccine just to be on the safeside... afterall, vaccines are only harmful to a very small % of the population and the risk is minimal, right?

Actually there's every chance it would.

People like me rely on there being a high immunisation rate to avoid health issues. All people I have met with similar issues were aware of their inability to be vaccinated from the start.

Most people who have reactions to vaccines have minor issues. I had a reaction to a Q-Fever immunisation and had flu symptoms for a week.

Do you see the very argument you are making is faulty because its a risk to you... but you still think everyone else should have it. Sorry mate, im not buying.

I'm making the argument that if you can be vaccinated you should be. The following excuses are idiotic:

- Not trusting the government
- Expecting science to be 100% full proof
- Religious beliefs against vaccination.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
at least when i'm driving to work i'm the one behind the wheel directing the car. When i take a vaccine, i'm letting someone else drive the car.

I'm a person of faith, but not that much faith!

You cannot predict the driving behaviour of every motorist you pass though. What if they have a heart attack and veer into your lane?

You undervalue the science. When we the last outbreak of polio in Australia? Exactly..... end argument.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Yes, because you know and understand the risks better than the complete consensus of the international medical community. The opposition to vaccines has nothing whatsoever to do with an 'informed' concern over risk, but everything to do with an idiotic ideology and conspiracy peddling. Let's not pretend it's anything otherwise.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Everything in this world carries a risk. You could be killed by a falling plane tomorrow on your way to work. We don't stop living or making decisions just because there's a bit of risk. Risk management means essentially the smaller the risk, the more logical it is to do it anyway.

Are you a doctor? Are you a Chemist? Are you trained in some field of medical science? If you answered no to these questions, then you're not making a well informed decision on anything to do with your healthcare on your own, are you? You go to a doctor or other medical professional or hell even a dietician (you can even get a second or third opinion if you so desire) they tell you the best course of action based on their recommendations. In regular circumstances, ie medicine that ONLY affects your health, you are free to have hubris enough to ignore trained professionals in the field and do whatever you want.
In public health circumstances ie if you have an infectious disease, then you shouldn't have that option, because your decision then affects the health of others. It's why people working with the public (retail, hospitality etc) are usually required by the company they work for to stay home off work if they have a serious illness or oftentimes even the common cold/flu. Does this mean people are penalized for being sick? Well sometimes. If you're a casual employee you don't get sick pay. Some companies might even send the casual employee home without pay due to health concerns. So yes, some employees are penalized/punished for being sick. But this is considered acceptable because it ultimately affects public safety.

Vaccines, by their very nature, affect the entire public, not just those who "choose" not to vaccinate. Therefore punitive measures (I'm not advocating forced vaccines though) should be put in place. If only to try to bring up herd immunity for the safety of the public at large. I'm sorry, but you only should get to make health decisions that only affect you. And that implicitly means decisions that affect people relying on herd immunity to survive should not be up to an individual.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Actually there's every chance it would.

People like me rely on there being a high immunisation rate to avoid health issues. All people I have met with similar issues were aware of their inability to be vaccinated from the start.

Most people who have reactions to vaccines have minor issues. I had a reaction to a Q-Fever immunisation and had flu symptoms for a week.

Half your luck! I had the flu vaccine last year and was sick for 3 months!!! Dont tell me about it. I know. Do you think I would give that same flu vaccine to my kids now that I know how sick they can make a person? Absolutely Not. And im not going to be bullied by anyone into taking something that i know can be harmful.

People can rant and rave about anti vax's all they like. That is not going to sway my decision. Im not bothered by the bullies and their scare tactics.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Half your luck! I had the flu vaccine last year and was sick for 3 months!!! Dont tell me about it. I know. Do you think I would give that same flu vaccine to my kids now that I know how sick they can make a person? Absolutely Not. And im not going to be bullied by anyone into taking something that i know can be harmful.

People can rant and rave about anti vax's all they like. That is not going to sway my decision. Im not bothered by the bullies and their scare tactics.

Does the new legislation cover things like the Flu Shots?

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
dont know dont care.

They can withhold every payment they like from me... i'd rather have my health then money anyday.

Well as long as you're not working with the public or going to the hospital where people with compromised immune systems (or receiving cancer treatment) are wandering around, then whatever.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Ironically it is not usually the poor on social benefits that are the problem, it is the upper middle class housewives that have become the pseudo-intellectuals in anti-vaccination ranks. Penalizing social benefits will not effect these people as they are not usually on benefits, perhaps we could fine them $1000 per child or similar.
Obviously in their opinion, google and "Days of our lives" must be more scientifically accurate than Lancet or the American Journal of Medicine & immunology.

Every year a variety of mutated flu's appear, that's how it survives.

I had the flu vaccine last year and was sick for 3 months!!!

It is highly likely, being flu season, you have picked up a dose of one of the other lesser prevalent flu viruses, rather than the worse one you were immunized against eg H1N1.
Did you get your shot after sitting in a waiting room full of sick people perhaps?
It could very well be just coincidence but you have automatically assigned the cause of your 3 month flu bout to the vaccine. It ain't necessarily so Pegg.

Your children only have half your DNA the rest is from the father. The reaction to the kids can be quite different to your reaction. If you refuse to vaccinate on the basis of your evidence, I would have no hesitation banning you from my children's school if I had the option.

Cheers

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Ironically it is not usually the poor on social benefits that are the problem, it is the upper middle class housewives that have become the pseudo-intellectuals in anti-vaccination ranks. Penalizing social benefits will not effect these people as they are not usually on benefits, perhaps we could fine them $1000 per child or similar.
Obviously in their opinion, google and "Days of our lives" must be more scientifically accurate than Lancet or the American Journal of Medicine & immunology.

Every year a variety of mutated flu's appear, that's how it survives.

It is highly likely, being flu season, you have picked up a dose of one of the other lesser prevalent flu viruses, rather than the worse one you were immunized against eg H1N1.
Did you get your shot after sitting in a waiting room full of sick people perhaps?
It could very well be just coincidence but you have automatically assigned the cause of your 3 month flu bout to the vaccine. It ain't necessarily so Pegg.

Your children only have half your DNA the rest is from the father. The reaction to the kids can be quite different to your reaction. If you refuse to vaccinate on the basis of your evidence, I would have no hesitation banning you from my children's school if I had the option.

Cheers

Kids learn just as well at home. I'd be happy to teach my kids at home and pay your $1,000 fine ;)

Kolibri

Well as long as you're not working with the public or going to the hospital where people with compromised immune systems (or receiving cancer treatment) are wandering around, then whatever.

There is legislation in that regard here in the United States. I personally won't do vaccines for similar reasons. I grew up with CFIDS and just riding in a car past a field being sprayed for bugs would make me ill. I am not as sensitive anymore and I have alternative ways of protecting myself with spice oils and allergy/detox corrections due to knowing the accupressure system well enough.

But if I wanted to work as a nurse, the law would require me to have a flu vaccine annually and I would have no way around it. That is fine. But I am not a nurse so I am not forced to take that risk.