• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

New Atheists?

rational experiences

Veteran Member
The entity men of science said for human practice the sciences O planet earth one God. The entity.

Deity is self idolisation he him his men ownership terms.

Owner of all science products. Non arguable yet you do argue.

You are a human living within the heavens O earth entity released caused with empty space womb.

Conceived it between two bodies totally different space and earth. Non arguable as men scientists preached it.

Basic common sense....men said listen brother liar theist. A theist.

O earth is already owner space to hold the planets presence stable. Sealed.

You cannot own space twice as the theist.

Was what he was told.

Yet he is ignorant. As being told is not his want. You can tell him anything his want over ruled any notification.

World community brothers spiritual consciousness said he won't listen. So they had to implement a secret order. Which is known human history. Not just some story ....it owned a human promise.

As we are dealing with human bad behaviour only.

lukethethird

unknown member
The post had nothing to do with the "correct' definition of atheism, it clearly states the newer definition that became part of common usage 30 years ago.

The point was that most atheists don't actually care about semantic quibbles, they just don't believe in god and give it little thought beyond that. Discussing atheism is not something that interests them much.

The kind of atheists who posts online and cares to differentiate between disbelief and "lack of belief" is a minority.

Do you seriously doubt that? You are British, you can't honestly think the average atheist is emotionally invested in whether atheism is a belief or a lack of belief....

Be honest now ;)
That only comes up because theists like to be the ones to define atheism on this forum, and of course they like to define atheism as a belief rather than a disbelief.

lukethethird

unknown member
part 2:

Why would you think that of me? I identified as an atheist for 10 years as I was deconstructing my religion, trying to sort out what I really feel on a spiritual level. The issue I have with it, is that of the trap of it becoming a replacement religion for fundamentalists, which I have personally seen countless times. I was a moderator on a site dedicated to Ex-Christians for over 10 years. And it got frankly unmanageable.

Any former believer who ventured into exploring other avenues for reclaiming spirituality for themselves, of which we see plenty of that here on RF with its membership, the atheists of the site, which were the majority, would dogpile them. "Woo! Woo!" they would attack, branding it as irrational, or still having one foot in the church, and such. Ridicule and scorn and derision was commonplace.

Members who wanted to just be able to talk about spirituality needed a safe place where the "pitchforks and woo crowd" as I called them were not allowed to dogpile others with their self-aggrandizing anti-theism, anti-faith rhetoric at members at will. We had to create a subforum, a "DIR" as it were, to keep them at bay. Much like here, I suppose.They just couldn't see to keep it in their pants, so to speak.

I became a bit of a champion for the maligned, as a "spiritual atheist". I tried to define myself in such a way that honored atheism, yet was able to honor and respect faith as well. My "holy grail" quest back then was to find a way to bridge that divide between faith and reason. It took a long while, but where I am now has comfortably done that for myself. I try my best to try to explain that here, but like over there, we have our pitchforks and woo crowd as well, and no matter what intelligent thing I may share I cite, it too gets maligned as "woo" or "deepity" or some other such anti-intellectual drivel.

So if I have issues, it's not with atheism. It's will that transitional stage of neo-atheism, where like you can take the boy out of the country, but not the country out of the boy, the 'believerism', "I've got the real truth now", follows right along. That's where "Scientism" comes in here. And it has nothing to do with empiricism, which I espouse fully myself. Like I say all the time, it's not what one believes, but how one believes it that is at issue.

I more than understand what antitheism is about. As I said, I do get the idea of standing up to aggressive religion, especial the prerational, anti-intellectual kind like Creationism in school and such. This is a pluralistic society, and these right wing premodern crusaders need someone to put them in their place. And furthermore, I understand how it can be empowering to those leaving that dysfunctional system to have some ammo, to be armed with some knowledge in order to do so.

My issues again, is when that's where it stops. What's next? Where is Atheism 2.0? Are we stuck at iconoclasm? What's that, but just another form of religious zealotry?

Here's a big problem with it you may not have considered. While it can be useful to those leaving, and frankly as ammunition for those who are bitter about the abuse they received from fundamentalists to strike back (I'll acknowledge that pleasure for myself), it also creates a certain negative problem for those who doubt fundamentalism, but still have faith. It says to them, "If you embrace reason, you have to reject faith".

Even you appear to say that, as in our discussions you always come back to equating faith with bad beliefs, something I do not accept as a valid understanding. What this does for those wanting to grow beyond literalism in religion, is that it says, that's all that faith is: prerational, mythic-literalism, and God is a fiction. So those who feel in their hearts that there is a 'higher power' end up with this choice. Accept Noah's boat wasn't actually real, and reject God. Or embrace God, and lobotomize themselves for the sake of faith! That is tragic!

So you see, Antitheism from the likes of Dawkins and Harris, honestly is not all that terribly helpful to the cause of getting people to grown beyond mythic-literalism. It's saying you have to abandon faith to embrace reason. And that is hogwash! I can attest to that, as well as many, many others who manage to have faith without self-lobotomies, or adopting anti-theistic views and attitudes.

The fact that many of the anti-theists don't seem to be able to allow for that, seems to speak volumes about this. Like I say, seemingly to no avail with many, if not most of those, "The god you don't believe in I don't believe in either". But that's not good enough. :)

I'm going to leave it here for the time being, as this is a lot of typing.

One thing I do want to add that I didn't get to, I would consider myself as the easiest label, as a SBNR (spiritual but not religious). I was trained with Christian symbolism, and serves as a useful, and often quite meaningful spiritual language, metaphors to point to the deeper truths of the human spirit and existential questions (redeeming the Baby from the bathwater, that is). But as an SBNR, I do NOT consider Deepak Chopra as the spokesperson for SBNR! I know you said that, but NO. Don't put that on us. :)

Footnote: I found that saying from him to be as trite and dismissive of atheism, as it was of religion, and as it was of spirituality as well. In that respect, he sort of mirrors Dawkins. :)

To paraphrase Ricky Gervais because it applies here,

The biggest con in the world is not having us believe that there is an invisible God out there, no that is not the biggest con, the biggest con in the world is having us believe we should not ridicule the idea.

Last edited:
Oh well now that you've used large bold red font, well that's different, ;) Except my atheism is not a belief of course, as I believe I've explained. Rather it is the lack or absence of theistic belief.

And for the 20th time: I fully accept that that is an accurate statement of your belief.

Of course that post of yours wasn't in bold enlarged red font, which is why I must have misunderstood it. So you never thought that atheism must necessarily involve a belief no deity exists then?

Seeing as you failed to grasp this simple point the last 19 times, let's try another example.

Bob thinks he has directly experienced God and that this is good evidence God exists.

Sheldon believes that Bob has experienced some kind of unusual cognitive state (or uncharitably, a delusion) that can be explained rationally and scientifically and does necessitate the existence of God.

Sheldon can accept that Bob thinks he experienced God, without agreeing that he actually experienced God. Sheldon doesn't think Bob is lying, he has a different perspective on the cognitive science of mystical experiences.

What we disagree on is the cognitive science of belief (or perhaps the cognitive science of lacking a belief) and whether it is actually possible to have a 'lack of belief' regarding a concept we can comprehend. I have presented peer-reviewed scientific evidence in support of this position which you always ignore in favour of your trusty strawman.

If you don't agree, make a case against the science that supports my view, or if the scientific arguments don't interest you then just agree to disagree, rather than repeating the same inane strawman ad nauseam :facepalm:

That only comes up because theists like to be the ones to define atheism on this forum, and of course they like to define atheism as a belief rather than a disbelief.

Many atheists also define it that way for a variety of philosophical or scientific reasons.

People can use words however they like, that's the nature of language.

All we need to do is recognise how others are using the term and there is no problem. We don't have to agree on what is the "best" usage.

Really? You do a very good impression of a religious apologist.

It's amazing how many "Rationalists" think promoting secular scholarly consensus on historical issues is akin to "religious apologetics".

Shows you how ideologically blinded they are...

What "ideological views about religion"?

See New Atheism for an example

Historians generally accept that Christianity played a part. Harris didn't claim that it was the only our even a major reason. Only that it was "in part responsible". Disagreement over the importance of that "part" can hardly be described as "historical ignorance". However, claiming that it played no part could.

Euro-centric historians in the 19th C perhaps, things have moved on a bit since then, especially as people 'remembered' the Roman Empire didn't end in the 5th C, but the 15th.

Harris: Christianity undermined the notion that the Roman emperor was a god. It made it harder to recruit true soldiers and they had to farm it out to mercenaries. And it eroded what you might call ‘traditional Roman values’ and then the Western Empire fell and we ushered in the Dark Ages.

You seriously think that is an accurate depiction of the fall of the Empire? He is clearly noting it as one of the most important, if not the most important, reasons.

If you disagree, what role did it play then? Why should this be considered one of the most significant factors? Why did this only happen in one part of the Empire the rest of which survived 1000 more years whilst being far more Christian overall?

Note that the Christian Constantine had an army more than double the size of Pagan Trajan which seems to suggest it wasn't all that hard to recruit 'true soldiers' despite the rise of Christianity.

Size of the Roman army - Wikipedia

If you want an actual scholar's views:

“But while the rise of Christianity was certainly a cultural revolution, Gibbon and others are much less convincing in claiming that the new religion had a seriously deleterious effect upon the functioning of the Empire. Christian institutions did, as Gibbon asserts, acquire large financial endowments. On the other hand, the non-Christian religious institutions that they replaced had also been wealthy, and their wealth was being progressively confiscated at the same time as Christianity waxed strong. It is unclear whether endowing Christianity involved an overall transfer of assets from secular to religious coffers. Likewise, while some manpower was certainly lost to the cloister, this was no more than a few thousand individuals at most, hardly a significant figure in a world that was maintaining, even increasing, population levels...
[there is no reason] why Christianity should have generated such a crisis, since religion and Empire rapidly reached an ideological rapprochement [and the Emperor's] divine status was retained in Christian-Roman propaganda’s portrayal of God as hand-picking individual emperors to rule with Him, and partly in His place, over the human sphere of His cosmos”

The Fall of the Roman Empire
Peter Heather

Wrong. He didn't claim "the main reason we have the originals" is because of Islam. He said the reboot of civilisation after the fall of the Roman Empire was because of the growing Islamic empire preserving those texts.

Pointless pedantry that changes nothing :rolleyes:

Whatever "reboot of civilisation" he is imagining was not "because of the Islamic empires preserved these texts" because the Greek texts primarily came to Western Europe via the Greeks who preserved them hence we have them in Greek original, not re-translations from Arabic.

So, Harris is not simply praising Muslims for advancing the sciences, he is thanking them for saving "Western" knowledge which was not the role they played.

Many of the original Greek manuscripts only exist today in the form of palimpsests. Christians knowingly destroyed them (partially, at least).

Meaning they weren't preserved by Muslims or anybody else either. It's also a very strange way of framing the issue.

Given copying one text cost the equivalent of thousands of dollars and many weeks or months of skilled labour it's obvious most texts will not survive. This is equally true of Christian texts too. We don't say they "destroyed" most Christian texts though, they just had different priorities about what to spend vast quantities of their very limited resources preserving.

As a modern example, when churches close down due to the decline of Christianity in the west we tend not to say "irreligious people knowingly destroyed the Churches by converting then into flats".

It's just economics combined with cultural preferences.

Wrong again.
No one refused to look through anyone's telescope.] Oh dear...
"the principal philosophers of this academy who are filled with the stubbornness of an asp and do not want to look at either the planets, the moon or the telescope, even though I have freely and deliberately offered them the opportunity a thousand times?" (Galileo, letter to Kepler)

You think a letter written 23 years before his trial (which was 22 years after Jesuit astronomers confirmed his observation using a telescope), has nothing to do with his trial, was about unnamed natural philosophers not religious figures and that is assumed to relate to his friends who certainly had looked through the rudimentary telescopes, that existed then is evidence that supports Harris' claim that Galileo was "put under house arrest by people who refused to look through his telescope"?

Really?

New Atheists always do their utmost to remain wilfully ignorant on these issues. Galileo had discussed his findings many times with Churchmen over the decades, many of whom agreed with him. The problem was he could not prove his findings at that point (and that some of his findings on things like tides were obviously wrong). As I said, read a scholarly text on the issue is you don't believe me.

You're doing a great job of proving what you are trying to refute.

Wrong again.
So you admit that conflict thesis isn't "nonsense".

I'm very much saying the conflict thesis is nonsense.

You apparently aren't familiar with what the conflict thesis is though...

Here you go if you need a primer:

Conflict thesis - Wikipedia

Wrong again.
So, your definition of "historically ignorant" is "not subscribing to a particular and specific academic historical school of thought". :tearsofjoy:

No.

Historically ignorant means spreading myths with little to no connection to what actually happened based on scholarly consensus.

"Didn't look through telescope" - obviously false
"Christianity led to the fall of Rome and ushered in the Dark Ages" - obviously false 18th C historiography
"Muslims saved Greek knowledge, which made the renaissance possible thus ending the Dark Ages" - obviously false

You have made several historical claims that are demonstrably false.
I have pointed out your error.
That is all.

Nope, you've just further illustrated your credulity and lack of knowledge on the issues, you just haven't grasped this yet.

Can lead a horse to water...

1. Atheism isn't an ideology. It is a single issue, non-position.
2. In what way is atheism a crutch?
3. Why is it so important to you that you believe that atheism is an ideology?

I said atheists have ideologies and that whatever ideology any given atheist has is a crutch. Being irreligious doesn't remove our need for understanding and that requires ideology.

I did not say atheism is an ideology.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It points to a simple incapacity.
They " KNOW" God is real, that everyone has a God shape hole, that atheists all actually do
believe but are in rebellion etc etc.

Unable to grasp that some people have a different capacity, and very simply do not believe in unicorns, dragons, talking snakes,
angles and gods.

Its plain ridiculous to imagine one needs some "ideology" to think unicorn - belief is nonsensical.
Some of us plugged that (leaky) hole quite early. :oops:

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Funny, ive never seen an angry atheist on RF, never mind an angry "new" atheist. But i have seen several very angry theists, both new and old, when they cannot defend their belief against reality. Having been the target of fire and brimstone, burning in hell along with my children, i can tell you this from first hand experience.

I have seen posts where atheists on this forum appear seriously irritated in their writing. I understand the irritation though, especially when it comes from theists just making claims without evidence, accusations against atheists based on assumptions and spreading misinformation.

But I don't think they have been as emotional as a few theists on here who can't distinguish belief from truth and facts.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I have seen posts where atheists on this forum appear seriously irritated in their writing. I understand the irritation though, especially when it comes from theists just making claims without evidence, accusations against atheists based on assumptions and spreading misinformation.

But I don't think they have been as emotional as a few theists on here who can't distinguish belief from truth and facts.

Different between irritated at deliberate ignorance and angry is quite a gap but perhaps some see such irritation as anger.

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
I said atheists have ideologies and that whatever ideology any given atheist has is a crutch. Being irreligious doesn't remove our need for understanding and that requires ideology.

I did not say atheism is an ideology.
Do you want a hand with those goalposts? They look heavy.

Why TF is an atheist believing that free market capitalism is the answer to all the world's economic and social problems (for example) in any way connected to their lack of belief in gods?

Do you want a hand with those goalposts? They look heavy.

This is perhaps the dumbest thing that people on RF do.

They misunderstand something, get corrected on the misunderstanding and then instead of doing what a normal person would do which is go "Ok, I misunderstood, now you have clarified I understand", they insist their initial misunderstanding was in fact the true one and say the correction is "moving the goalposts".

It's pathetic.

Why TF is an atheist believing that free market capitalism is the answer to all the world's economic and social problems (for example) in any way connected to their lack of belief in gods?

Who said it did?

KWED

It's amazing how many "Rationalists" think promoting secular scholarly consensus on historical issues is akin to "religious apologetics".
Pretty much every post you make seems to be a partisan defence of religion or religionists/attack on atheism or atheists in some form.

Shows you how ideologically blinded they are...
There you go again. Even is what you claim is true, you are labelling a misinterpretation of your somewhat ambiguous arguments as "ideologically blinded". Why are you so annoyed with atheists?

See New Atheism for an example
That is not an explanation of "ideological views about religion". It is just repeating your original claim. Once again, you are simply question begging.

Euro-centric historians in the 19th C perhaps, things have moved on a bit since then, especially as people 'remembered' the Roman Empire didn't end in the 5th C, but the 15th.

Harris: Christianity undermined the notion that the Roman emperor was a god. It made it harder to recruit true soldiers and they had to farm it out to mercenaries. And it eroded what you might call ‘traditional Roman values’ and then the Western Empire fell and we ushered in the Dark Ages.
All true. One may not have been the only or even major cause of the other, but it played a part. To claim that mentioning these things, in the context of a discussion about how religion has influenced the world, constitutes "historical ignorance" is laughable. It merely highlights how desperate you are to push your strange, anti-atheist agenda.

You seriously think that is an accurate depiction of the fall of the Empire? He is clearly noting it as one of the most important, if not the most important, reasons.
He clearly isn't.

If you want an actual scholar's views:

“But while the rise of Christianity was certainly a cultural revolution, Gibbon and others are much less convincing in claiming that the new religion had a seriously deleterious effect upon the functioning of the Empire. Christian institutions did, as Gibbon asserts, acquire large financial endowments. On the other hand, the non-Christian religious institutions that they replaced had also been wealthy, and their wealth was being progressively confiscated at the same time as Christianity waxed strong. It is unclear whether endowing Christianity involved an overall transfer of assets from secular to religious coffers. Likewise, while some manpower was certainly lost to the cloister, this was no more than a few thousand individuals at most, hardly a significant figure in a world that was maintaining, even increasing, population levels...
[there is no reason] why Christianity should have generated such a crisis, since religion and Empire rapidly reached an ideological rapprochement [and the Emperor's] divine status was retained in Christian-Roman propaganda’s portrayal of God as hand-picking individual emperors to rule with Him, and partly in His place, over the human sphere of His cosmos”

The Fall of the Roman Empire
Peter Heather
Interesting that your support for atheists' "historical ignorance" only relegates Christianity's impact to an also ran. It does not support your claim that Christianity played absolutely no part in the fall of the Roman Empire, and to suggest it did is "historically ignorant", unless you are claiming your source is also "historically ignorant", which would make citing them as support seem somewhat strange.

Pointless pedantry that changes nothing :rolleyes:
:tearsofjoy: So correcting your blatant straw man is "pointless pedantry"?

Whatever "reboot of civilisation" he is imagining was not "because of the Islamic empires preserved these texts" because the Greek texts primarily came to Western Europe via the Greeks who preserved them hence we have them in Greek original, not re-translations from Arabic.

So, Harris is not simply praising Muslims for advancing the sciences, he is thanking them for saving "Western" knowledge which was not the role they played.
Are you high? You really believe that the knowledge of classical Greece was preserved and transmitted by Christian philosophers in Western Europe, rather than via an Islamic route? :tearsofjoy:

Meaning they weren't preserved by Muslims or anybody else either. It's also a very strange way of framing the issue.
"Arabic translators did far more than just preserve Greek philosophy" (Peter Adamson, professor of ancient and medieval philosophy)
I guess your massive intellect considers professor Adamson to be "historically ignorant" as well? :tearsofjoy:

I'm bored with your nonsense now. I get it. You don't like atheists attacking religion. Well, boo hoo and get over it.

KWED

This is perhaps the dumbest thing that people on RF do.

They misunderstand something, get corrected on the misunderstanding and then instead of doing what a normal person would do which is go "Ok, I misunderstood, now you have clarified I understand", they insist their initial misunderstanding was in fact the true one and say the correction is "moving the goalposts".

It's pathetic.
Physician, heal thyself!

Who said it did?
You were banging on about "atheist ideology" but when pressed conceded that you meant "atheists have ideologies".
Well, no **** Sherlock.

Reactions: ppp

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sheldon said:
Oh well now that you've used large bold red font, well that's different, ;) Except my atheism is not a belief of course, as I believe I've explained. Rather it is the lack or absence of theistic belief.

And for the 20th time: I fully accept that that is an accurate statement of your belief.

It's not a belief. ;)

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Sheldon believes that Bob has experienced some kind of unusual cognitive state (or uncharitably, a delusion) that can be explained rationally and scientifically and does necessitate the existence of God.

No Sheldon does not, it would help you grasp how wrong you are here if you stopped making up straw men about Sheldon, and instead asked him what he thinks. Atheism is a general absence of belief in all deities, you're taking specific examples and making assumptions and assigning them to me, even though I have not made them. God concepts and claims and beliefs can for clarity be split into two distinct types here if it helps, falsifiable and unfalsifiable. Withholding belief from an unfalsifiable claim, need not involve any contrary beliefs or ideas be held.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
People can use words however they like, that's the nature of language.

All we need to do is recognise how others are using the term and there is no problem. We don't have to agree on what is the "best" usage.
Do you think using words as they are most commonly used and understood helps us communicate more effectively?

You are correct, we can use words any way we choose, but clear communication is easier if we use them as they are most commonly used or understood, which is why we bother with dictionaries in the first place.